• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European destinations for a July jaunt

Where would you go for a few days?

• Aix-en-Provence

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Barcelona

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Lisbon

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Ljubljana (not really an option, but I'm throwing it in for the Zizek factor)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Madrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paris

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • San Sebastian

• Seville/Granada

• Total voters

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm remarkably poorly traveled, but I'll have a chance to putz around a bit in late July. I'm starting out in London, meeting my girlfriend in Dublin, where she'll be for a summer program, and then we'll head out to some western European spot for several days (or maybe a week). I've never been anywhere, so novelty isn't the issue. We might have a slight preference for Spain because we both like Spanish wine and food, but I'd also really like to hang out in France. I suppose a combo of two places might also be a possibility. Cost is somewhat of a consideration too, since I'm a broke-ass academic and she's a grad student.

Last edited:

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could do a lot worse than the basque region for food and wine

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paris. Although it won't be very full because, afaik, many Parisians go on holiday then. But probably a little too expensive to fully enjoy?

Barça and even more south Spain (and Portugal) will be very hot and dry in July. Also, Barça is very touristic and expensive (but a beautiful city).

Provence is great. If you wanna see a lot, you'll have a busy holiday. But it's worth it. So much to see! Pretty hot, too, though.

So I'd go for Paris or Provence. Alternatively Basque. Italy out of the question? Sometimes even hotter, but so many beautiful cities in Toskana (and elsewhere, too). Might become extremely exhausting though if you aren't used to these temperatures. But really, if you wanna go to Barça, just do it. ;) I guess Basque will be the cheapest. But not too many tourists, therefore not too much infrastructure for them. People are afraid of ETA.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in july travelling big cities can be a hassle.

if spain wins the euro champ, it's definitely a place to go.

my vote is for aix-en provence.

save travels

ps: i forgive you, that you didn't consider my country.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'd go for Paris or Provence. Alternatively Basque. Italy out of the question? Sometimes even hotter, but so many beautiful cities in Toskana (and elsewhere, too). Might become extremely exhausting though if you aren't used to these temperatures. But really, if you wanna go to Barça, just do it. ;) I guess Basque will be the cheapest.

in july travelling big cities can be a hassle.
my vote is for aix-en provence.
save travels
ps: i forgive you, that you didn't consider my country.

I think Provence is sounding more and more appealing.

I definitely want to visit Austria at some point--just figured I'd start on the western of the continent and work my way east!

sns23

Reaction score
Barcelona. The beach and the rest of the city is nice. Two or three days is the perfect amount of time. Then you could always take a relatively short train ride to Madrid.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which cities are you aiming for? The Provence is a big place. I find Aix-en Provence to be a rather limiting destination if you're interested in the obvious cities like Nice, Cannes, St Tropez and Monaco. Might want to keep that in mind.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not go to a big city in July. Or maybe spending a day visiting a city (Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon) is a good choice, then go to a nearby seaside resort on the Mediterranean or Atlantic (e.g Cascais/Estoril).

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which cities are you aiming for? The Provence is a big place. I find Aix-en Provence to be a rather limiting destination if you're interested in the obvious cities like Nice, Cannes, St Tropez and Monaco. Might want to keep that in mind.

Do the beach cities turn into a douchey tourist scene in the summer? Would prefer something on the serene/mellow side, especially if we end up going to Provence.

Barcelona. The beach and the rest of the city is nice. Two or three days is the perfect amount of time. Then you could always take a relatively short train ride to Madrid.

I would not go to a big city in July. Or maybe spending a day visiting a city (Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon) is a good choice, then go to a nearby seaside resort on the Mediterranean or Atlantic (e.g Cascais/Estoril).

These also seem like tempting options.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, the riviera sucks in high summer unless you are renting a house, which is awesome, or you have the money to shack up with the crazy Russians in very, very expensive hotels. Otherwise, it is disappointing these days. Hell, I might limit that to unless you rent a house it is disappointing. I don't love the area around Aix and Avignon either, but I can definitely see the charm. We have a house in the Dordogne, which is outside of Bordeaux. It's more laid back, and more English than Russian as far as ex-pats go. The up (and down) side is that there are few hotels, but there are a lot of nice rental properties, some quite cheap and clean. If you want to bum around it is a place to consider. The siteseeing is interesting in that many of the famous caves are there, and the cities are ancient, so there is neat stuff, but it isn't the kind of neat stuff that calls to people trying to put together their impressive scrapbook. Also, very close to Spain. Food is better during truffle season, but it is heavy in wild mushrooms all year, and foie gras and duck are the two specialties of the region. And Armagnac, which can smooth the rough edges off of anything.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do the beach cities turn into a douchey tourist scene in the summer? Would prefer something on the serene/mellow side, especially if we end up going to Provence.

I guess so. We were there in late September which was quite good. You could always focus on the less-popular (in terms of 0815 tourist attractions) spots. But these cities are really worth a see when you're already in the region. Anyway, Matt's got a point.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, depends if the OP want something more laid back or a tourist region like Côte d'Azur, Costa Brava etc. July could be pretty hot and crowded, but not as much as August, when most of the French, Italians, Spanish are leaving their cities and go to seaside.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

These also seem like tempting options.

Don't go to Riviera, it doesn't "turn" into a lair of douchebags it IS a lair of douchebags.

You should go to the "colder" places btw, this is ******* July, visit Berlin/Prague/Vienna or something. If you have to go to France go to the North, if you have to go to Spain or Italy, don't.

If it helps Berlin isn't expensive and you can rent a large apt there for a really low price, you can then go out and listen to german minial techno while other clubgoers are having an orgy 1 meter away from you. If you always wanted to go to Scandinavia now is the time. Avoid Greece like the plague, really ******* hot.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, the riviera sucks in high summer unless you are renting a house, which is awesome, or you have the money to shack up with the crazy Russians in very, very expensive hotels. Otherwise, it is disappointing these days. Hell, I might limit that to unless you rent a house it is disappointing. I don't love the area around Aix and Avignon either, but I can definitely see the charm. We have a house in the Dordogne, which is outside of Bordeaux. It's more laid back, and more English than Russian as far as ex-pats go. The up (and down) side is that there are few hotels, but there are a lot of nice rental properties, some quite cheap and clean. If you want to bum around it is a place to consider. The siteseeing is interesting in that many of the famous caves are there, and the cities are ancient, so there is neat stuff, but it isn't the kind of neat stuff that calls to people trying to put together their impressive scrapbook. Also, very close to Spain. Food is better during truffle season, but it is heavy in wild mushrooms all year, and foie gras and duck are the two specialties of the region. And Armagnac, which can smooth the rough edges off of anything.

Unless it's a major city destination, I far prefer laid back & relaxing with good food & drink being the key draws. Roaming around Bordeaux seems like yet another option. Is it too hot in July? Wikipedia tells me the average high in July is around 80. 80-90 seems okay and not too oppressive.

Don't go to Riviera, it doesn't "turn" into a lair of douchebags it IS a lair of douchebags.
You should go to the "colder" places btw, this is ******* July.

Come to think of it, I have always wanted to check out Iceland.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads