• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Europe in October - Need Advice

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Guys, my wife and I are planning a ~10 night trip to Europe in early October for our anniversary. It will be just the two of us - no kids, or travel companions.

We have never been to Europe for all intents and purposes - I was there when I was 17, but that doesn't count IMO.

Which country(ies) would you recommend, particular destinations, places to see, etc.? I don't think we will be able to do more than 2 countries? Our latest thoughts were to stick to maybe one country for a majority of the time (France was our choice) and then maybe... Switzerland for 2-3 days? Something else?

We are a little overwhelmed as this is a special trip for us, being our anniversary, our first time in Europe together, and our first time for a very extended time away from our daughter. We want to plan it well.

Any ideas/thoughts are welcomed. :)

Oh, and... I don't want to make any sartorial spots must-visit on the trip - if something happens to be in the area, maybe I'll pay a visit, but otherwise it's just sight-seeing, eating good food, and trying to see/learn as much as possible.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of "sprint" visits to countries where you try to cram as much as you can into a couple of days. So I would suggest no more than 3 countries (one city in each). Within a quick flight or 8 hour train/car ride from each other. You want to spend as little time on the road as possible (though I suppose you could see some great stuff en route to your next destination). I'm also a big fan of renting apartments so that you can live a bit like a local vs being around other visitors during the whole trip.

I'll let others suggest locations as all my trips were for studying or partying.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 cities in Spain
2 cities in Italy
2 cities in Croatia

pick 2 of the 3 above.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just took a trip to France (mostly Paris w/ one day trip to Normandy and Honfleur) and London and spent 5 nights in both places. I didn't love London, certainly not for 5 days, but Paris was great every day. If you're at all interested in French culture it would be a mistake not to go to France. I think we would have preferred 5 days in France and 5 days in Italy or maybe even 10 days in France with 5 in Paris and 5 driving around the countryside. If you decide on Paris I can tell you about the things we enjoyed the most.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paris is great for 5+ days. There are about 80 amazing museums, lots of beautiful places to walk, eat, you can't go wrong. Early Oct the weather should be quite mild. Consider a train ride to your second city and country. That way you can see the countryside.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
london is drab. paris is utterly crowded and filthy. big world cities with too much of the big-world-city problems. imo.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^One way to look at it.

I would second London for 2-3 days - train to Paris for 4-5 days - car to French countryside for remainder - fly out of Paris.

I will be there in Oct as well heading to Interlaken for some trekking. Never been so if Moo doesn't mind post some suggestions here.

lefty

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree not to do a sprint visit. Pick a max of three places, maybe a day trip to a fourth. Even that is stretching it IMO.

Personally I love London, and Paris is an easy trip from there. Can understand if you don't want to do big cities though.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I think we are going to stick to only exploring France. Perhaps 4 days in Paris (maybe 5) and them catch a train to Nice/South of France and do little trips around there.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you must go to France, then the other choice should be Italy, you won't regret it. If you prefer the German efficiency, but prettier version of it, then Austria.

edit: London is nice, and if you go to UK might as well go to Scotland (Edinburgh, not Glasgow) or the lake area on England/Scottland border

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd do half in paris and half in rome, with a night train between.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd do half in paris and half in rome, with a night train between.

This is a great combination. We've done it. Paris has an intensity about it, like NYC that is energizing. Rome has a hospitality that is quite charming and easy to find. Two great romantic cities and cultures. The train would be a lot more fun than a trip to the airports.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's definitely not a bad combo.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also, if its a first/possibly only trip to Europe, you can't go wrong with rome and paris. my wife was concerned about the night train the first time, but loved it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads