1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Europe in October - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mr. Moo, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Thank you all.

We are flying into Paris and staying 5 nights in an apartment in, most likely, the 6th Arrondissement. After that, we are most likely going to Nice and taking day trips to various Southern France areas. I know we won't be there for beach season, but places like Eze, Monaco, etc. are still worthwhile in early/mid October, no?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

The landscape is always nice down there and Nice also as a couple of great museums. You should probably have a backup plan for rainy days since precipitation reaches its annual peak in October and November (you may be lucky and have no rain, but it is best to be prepared for everything). Enjoy your trip!

For dinner in Paris try: Chez Gabrielle in 7 Rue Etoile located in a residential area a few hundred meters north of l'Arc de Triomphe...it is a smaller place, so it is best to have a reservation.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

great itinerary

4. jpo

jpo Senior member

Maybe I'll see you there! I'm going on my first European trip, with my girlfriend in October as well. We are flying into Frankfort, meeting up with her sister and bro-in-law and going from there. Paris, Florence, Rome are my top choices so far, we'll see where the democratic process takes us. Finding Italian tailors sent me off the rails really quickly though. I ended up wanting to plan our travels around tailors....not a great idea....maybe next trip :)

Some great suggestions here for sure, like the Night Train Paris-Rome, you save on the hotel and the day of travel that way: smart.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

paris will be great in oct. nice is good in Oct, but I don't really like the beaches that much there, anyway. the market in nice is nice, and the matisse museum is nice (trying to remember if its nice or marsai) have fun.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

How much cash would you guys recommend for 2-3 weeks in Europe?

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Completely depends on what you are doing and how much you are looking to spend...

By and large ATMs work well, so you can always pull out more. Obviously, you will have to pay ATM fees and conversion charges, but it's still cheaper than going to a money changer.

Note that a lot of places have moved to requiring the little chips in your credit card to accept them, so if your card does not have one, you will need more cash.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

well i have a good card with no foreign exchange fee but i will need cash for cabs and metro etc.

i ordered 550e for now

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

To make a gross generalization, you will probably use cash more in Europe than you do in the US. Just keep that in mind--you can't use CC for everything like you can here.

Were it me, I'd probably take out just about exactly what you did and get more if I needed it, but again, this depends on your budget--if you're blowing it out the whole time you're there, that's not going to last. If you're staying in hostels, eating cheaply, and not shopping, it's probably too much.

Personally, I'd rather have too little and have to get more than have extra leftover that I had to change back at the end.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

umm yeah i am other way around, i'd rather get more

11. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Maybe a few things regarding cash in Europe:
    - ATMs are everywhere, but there will be a fee usually in the amount of 3-5 Euro charged by the bank operating the ATM. This comes on top to any fees your bank charges on drawing cash abroad.
    However, this might be interesting for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance
    - Plastic is accepted widely, but in form of Maestro debit cards and not Credit Cards! Acceptance of credit cards depends on the country with VISA and Mastercard being the safest bets followed by Amex.
    In bigger cities or in very touristy areas chances are high that credit cards are accepted.
    - Checks do not really exist anymore in Europe.

The amount you need depends on your spending pattern and cost of living in the area you visit. Where are you going to?

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

You don't need to take all the cash you need up front (too risky too)- take enough for what you need the first day or so then hit an ATM.

American CC's are finally starting to get chipped so it will eventualy make things easier. And regarding CC's- you probably know this but be sure to tell your cards that you will be overseas and when- most set you up now so that your charges go right through. Some cards will block you by default until you say it's you.

13. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Moo - A lot of good advice here... namely, don't try and visit too many places for such a short trip. Flights from Paris to Rome are only around 50e, so skip any long train rides. We just got back from about a month in France and Italy last June, albeit with the kids. We've been previously, both with and without them, on numerous occassions. My vote would be Paris and Rome. Les Marais (4th) and Trastevere... you will have a very romantic and fun time. Next time we head back for a couple weeks, hopefully without the kids, we'll do this fosho.

I would personally consider San Sebastian as well. We were able to slip off without the kids, as my parents were in Biaritz at the same time, for a night and two-days. Epic food and fun bars/nightlife. I'd even take it over Rome, (but probably not if I'd never been to Rome before).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Thanks all. :)

We have decided on Paris and Nice for our first trip to Europe. My wife very much wants to see the South of France, so I must oblige. :)

Next time, we bring the kid(s) and go elsewhere. :slayer:

15. Jasongraham

Jasongraham New Member

You'll love Paris, great choice for this trip. For an anniversary holiday I would choose a regional Italian option. Italy because the people and the culture are every bit as engaging and passionate as the French, and the options I'm going to seell you on are all within easy reach of Paris.
    1. For romance, Venice! This is an experience you'll remember forever, no matter how many future holidays you take together. Magical, and plenty of walking, exploring, catching vaporettos around the canals and to other islands to fill a week. Go!
    2. For stunning scenery, and beautiful walks, Cinque Terre. Five small hillside villages by the sea, all connected by a rail line. From Paris: light to Genoa or Pisa and a connecting train. I stayed in Riomaggiore last year but a y town that takes your fancy would be equally blissful.
    3. Are you both 'foodies'? Piedmont, in the north west (i.e. close to Paris!) is the home of the slow food movement, and they have a food festival from mid-October till mid-November. I'm going in late October, can't wait! http://www.fieradeltartufo.org/index.jsp?idProgetto=2
    4. Tuscany - wow. Spent about 10 days using Florence and Siena as my base here last year, two amazing towns, small enough to walk around, so much to do, especially if you like your art, Florence. Truly you could pick any of the incredible Tuscan towns - and explore local wineries on a day trip. Direct flight to Florence, bam!

If it were me, in your circumstances, Venice. If you make it have a Bellini in Harry's for me.

1 person likes this.
  16. FunLovinStyle

FunLovinStyle Senior member

Excellent choices! Since you're going to Nice, consider a half-day stop in Monte Carlo. If's like a 15 minute train ride away and totally worth it.

Paris is a big city so you'd be wise to do a bit of planning in advance. Also, get the Paris Museum Pass (you can order it online in advance). You'll save hours of waiting in line and dollars too. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  17. Leonardo Da Vinci

Leonardo Da Vinci Senior member

18. Leonardo Da Vinci

Leonardo Da Vinci Senior member

19. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

Any London people who can help me out? I'll be there for 3 days in November for a concert, and want to know the best pubs to go to, or best things to see... Was thinking of going to the National Gallery, have already been to the Tate... any advice about neighborhoods, pubs, caf├ęs, shops is welcome... Also any tattoo shop recommendations!!!

20. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Just fyi, one thing that is woefully undermentioned when traveling in (Southern) Europe is learning a bit of the local language- it can make say going into cafes a pleasant experience or an embarrassing ordeal upsetting patrons behind you. No matter how polite you try to be, expecting a local to speak English with you (even though they undoubtedly can) is fulfilling one of the most piggish American/Brit stereotypes. I'll be the first to admit that it sucks when you request '2 green macaroons please' in French, only to have the baker ask you something else back in rapid unintelligible slang, but the point is you tried and you can usually get close to what you asked for.

1 person likes this.