• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Europe / Asia Trip Itinerary

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
To those who want a bit of context or a refresher, this is somewhat of a follow-up from my original post here
Blog here

I am slowly coming to the end of my fellowship and planning on the second part of the year. Hoping to leverage the experiences on the board to get a rough idea of my trip. We will not be living up to this on a daily basis by any means, its just a rough attempt to document what we want to see and how long it should take.

Generally speaking, I have travelled to some part of all the countries in Europe we will be going to. However, my friend has not and therefore the stops. With that said, we are putting very little focus on Europe as that is a relatively easy trip to make in the future with our families and such. The month in Europe will be very fast-paced, just hitting the highlights. Then moving on to a slower pace later.

Focus on India as those are my roots. Order for the trip because India gets super hot (not that other places do not) and we wanted to get it done before April.

March 3 - Fly into Delhi.
March 4-7 - Delhi. Big metro city, not much to see. Hit historical highlights and adjust to time zone.
March 8 - 15 - Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur. Lots of history. Unique part of India. Day trip to Agra.
March 16 - 20 - Go to Kolkata. I need to see my grandma. Not to much to do here, maybe make a couple of day trips.
March 20 - April 4 - South India. Fly down and meet a friend in Bangalore. Go to Goa. Spend time in Kerala.

April 5 - Fly out to mainland Europe. Something like Paris or Rome are easy flights.
April 5 - May 4 - Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome, Vatican City), France (Marseilles. No specific interest in Paris. Something else?), Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, day trips), Portugal (Lisbon), Greece (Athens, Crete, island hopping / ferry to Turkey)
This is a lot for a month. Do-able? Or better alternatives?

Rest of May - Turkey, Jordan, Egypt (basically a week each. Bit longer in Egypt, bit shorter in Jordan)

June 1 - 10 - Singapore, Malaysia (Perhentian Islands?) and Indonesia. Small countries.
June 10 - 16 - Thailand. Meet some aussies on the beaches.
June 17 - 22 - Basically spend it to cut across Cambodia over land. Heard its a very depressing (and poor) country but Angkor Wat is worth a stop. MS also suggested Bokor Hill Station, I need to look into whether it falls on the way.
June 23 - July 10 - Vietnam

July 11 - 18 - Spend it going through China. I am not too interested in rural China, basically spend a few days in Shanghai and then Beijing. See historical sites and Great wall.
I've been to China twice but my friend has not.

July 19 - 25 - Take the trans-siberian railroad to and back from Mongolia. It'll finally be warm enough to make a trip.
July 26 - Fly back from Beijing. Or, if really interested to see Hong Kong, we can take a boat to HK for 3 days and fly out on the 29th.

I would have loved to add Tibet, Sri Lanka and Taiwan to that list but it looks unlikely. We'd like to be back at the end of July.

And lastly, this is a rough itinerary. I doubt we will eventually end up anywhere close to this. And part of the appeal is simply winging it as we go. However, its nice to have a list of places that I'd like to see. Or take out ones which aren't worth it.

Finally, to make it more SF-appropriate, I have a few pieces of fabrics I have collected over time and I would like to get some jackets made. Any suggestions on which stop along the way is best for it?
On my last trip to HK, I made a trip to Jantzen. Admittedly, I only had time for one fitting but I wasn't a big fan of the suit. I think they are fine for shirts. To be honest, a last minute linen jacket I got from a little vendor cost a quarter (if not less) of Jantzen and fit impeccably.
Matt, how is Hanoi for decent tailors? My expectations are realistic.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Beijing has some decent tailors, but I'm sure they're not a patch on HK (the prices will be, though).

Let me know if you're going to HK, there's a good chance I'll still be there by then (if not SG or SK)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Depends on if I get a job there or not, we'll see
smile.gif

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Depends on if I get a job there or not, we'll see
smile.gif

In that case, good luck with it!

Originally Posted by cchen
Do CMT with Peter Lee in HK.

That seems to be the consensus. I picked up a couple of fabrics here recently. Will keep an eye out for more.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Beijing has some decent tailors, but I'm sure they're not a patch on HK (the prices will be, though).

Difficulty is finding one with good enough English that you can communicate your desires to him.

I speak Mandarin Chinese as a second language but I have no idea how to communicate my desire for a "tight armhole" and a "natural shoulder", which is why I'm sticking to HK.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^ 哈哈那你应该就是说: “这里要紧一点” 然后 “把那个肩膀不要那么明显,要很直燃的”

My Chinese also has some limitations when speaking on detailed subjects, just have to work around it until you pick up the vocab I've found.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads