• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~ EUR 1,100 for a bespoke suit with Zegna fabric - good price?

kkraemer

Reaction score
This would be my first bespoke suit. The tailor has, so far, only tailored a suit jacket and suit trousers for me (suits I just bought off the rack), and it looked just the way I wanted. What do you think about that deal? I have seen Zegna suits in Zegna shops off the rack for EUR 1,500+, so I guess it's not bad?

dibenetto

Reaction score
price is good for pure bespoke but i'm not sure you'll have 2 or 3 fittings and the full handmade construction for this price.....
in paris i was quoted 900 euros by a coatmaker for his pain (excluding trousermaker cost,finishing cost, cutting,overheads, and couple hundreds $ for the cloth....) so i estimate a true parisian bespoke cost for the tailor at around 1500 euros (even with light overheads)
anywhere else in western europe save italy i'd say that cost would be between 1000 to 1500 euros so anything at less than 2000 euros is likely not a true bespoke, otherwise the guy is loosing money...

at 1100 euros i'd say it's made to measure subcontracted, or even overseas make (maybe great but not true bespoke to forum standards...)

if you get something u like with this tailor jump on it, especially if your young and don't mind throwing a suit away after a few years....

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on which cloth and as Dibenetto points out MTM versus bespoke. MTM with Zegna cloth starts here at about 700 Euros. It goes up with the cloth chosen and other things. But I don't think he makes a pattern for you at that price. OTOH this is MTM by the local shop staff.

PipPip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
price is good for pure bespoke but i'm not sure you'll have 2 or 3 fittings and the full handmade construction for this price.....
in paris i was quoted 900 euros by a coatmaker for his pain (excluding trousermaker cost,finishing cost, cutting,overheads, and couple hundreds $ for the cloth....) so i estimate a true parisian bespoke cost for the tailor at around 1500 euros (even with light overheads)
anywhere else in western europe save italy i'd say that cost would be between 1000 to 1500 euros so anything at less than 2000 euros is likely not a true bespoke, otherwise the guy is loosing money...

at 1100 euros i'd say it's made to measure subcontracted, or even overseas make (maybe great but not true bespoke to forum standards...)

if you get something u like with this tailor jump on it, especially if your young and don't mind throwing a suit away after a few years....

My personal assistant's father is a Sicilian tailor based in Paris, a one man band with no real overheads or staff. He has offered to make me a full tailor made suit at "family rates", which is still 2,000 euros. Normally he charges 3,000 to 4,000 and at 2,000 euros he says he makes no real profit given the time and effort he puts in, so I completely agree with what you say above.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipPip
My personal assistant's father is a Sicilian tailor based in Paris, a one man band with no real overheads or staff. He has offered to make me a full tailor made suit at "family rates", which is still 2,000 euros. Normally he charges 3,000 to 4,000 and at 2,000 euros he says he makes no real profit given the time and effort he puts in, so I completely agree with what you say above.

To him this could be a short term interest free loan.

In answer to the OPs question it's hard to say if it's a good deal because it really depends what your getting, to be fair it probably is worth the money and quite decent but I doubt a pattern is made or that there's lots of handwork......this may or may not bother you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads