• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eulogy for my duckbills

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After four years of faithful service, it's finally time to retire my Gordon Rush duckbills. As awkward and ungainly as they are, I must give credit to the construction and hardiness of these shoes. They took a lot of use and abuse, went ~2 years w/o polishing or cleaning, worn on rainy days, stuffed into suitcases, never saw a shoe tree -- you name it. But, they held up and remained super comfortable to this day.

Yet, the gods of aesthetics demand tribute, so give them willingly and without regret. But before they are cast into the firey pit of Goodwill, respects must be paid.

Here they are, in all their duckbill glory:
20080607-1.jpg

Now, these have been polished probably 5 times in 4 years, with probably all but one of those polishings coming in the past 6 months (since I got the SF religion). I'd say they've held up amazingly well considering all the use and abuse. The leather is still rather supple and hasn't dried out much.

20080607-2.jpg

20080607-7.jpg

Even the heel is doing well after all this time:

20080607-8.jpg

I've always wondered who actually made them. I assume that Gordon Rush contracted them out, but the markings don't seem to indicate reveal the maker

20080607-3.jpg

20080607-9.jpg

Whoever made them, built a solid shoe. I don't know which construction method is used, whether it is Goodyear, Blake, etc. but the stitching looks more than decorative.

20080607-4.jpg

20080607-5.jpg

20080607-6.jpg

The bedding (peeled back in the second photo) still provides a nice cushion. And note the channels for the sole stitches. Nice details on what was a ~$200 pair of shoes.

It seems a shame that such a good leather upper is wasted on such a design. Too bad these weren't born of a more attractive gene pool. But the life of a duckbill is destined to be nasty, brutish and short.

R.I.P.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you scatter their ashes over The Bay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads