• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ettinger Opinions/ Experience (post pictures)

AxlJack

Reaction score
Cross post from a question I asked in street wear as part of a thread on wallet recommendations. Think it's more appropriate here.

Recently bought an Ettinger Card wallet but couldn't find much info or enough pictures of member's Ettinger products to take a view on it besides the odd "I like Ettinger" posts

@dieworkwear was kind enough to shed some light on Ettinger on the Streetwear thread

What are people's experience and opinions of Ettinger products?

Would be great to see pictures of how their purchases have aged through the years

My purchase:

konoyaro

Reaction score
I have a wallet like yours which I like. The leather is very nice and it seems well made. It's not for daily use though so it doesn't show much wear over the years.
I also have one of their belts. New, it was very stiff but it's breaking in nicely.
IMG_4201.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can take a picture tomorrow, it’s a chest wallet (I wear suit/sports coat daily), hold well for almost 4 years now

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several Ettinger products, mostly in the same bridal leather and color (red and tan). I have a credit card case that I use for daily carry, a business card case, a glasses case, a key fob, and a billfold style wallet that I rarely use. I plan to obtain one of their watch rolls soon.

I've visited the Ettinger showroom in London and the people there are very pleasant and very helpful. I've also had quite lengthy conversations with Robert Ettinger at Pitti. Nice guy. The products are well made and the leather they use seems to me to be pretty high quality.

My wife uses Ettinger for small executive gifts for certain corporate events that she organizes for her company and the items are very well received. Ettinger does a good job with personalization.

WilYa

Reaction score
Great leather and well made! Ages very nicely over time.
The only downside is that they are all machine-stiched, for what they charge RRP, I would always go for customised hand-stiched options from independent artisans (all my Ettingers were purchased during sample/clearance sale at 70% off)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Sterling leather coat wallet which I quite like. Use it daily. Quite soft and lovely.

I also have a rather new Ettinger custom piece that I did through the T+A Townhouse in Manhattan. For when I dont wear a jacket (which is rare).
20191231_183451.jpg
20191231_183511.jpg

AxlJack

Reaction score
I have several Ettinger products, mostly in the same bridal leather and color (red and tan). I have a credit card case that I use for daily carry, a business card case, a glasses case, a key fob, and a billfold style wallet that I rarely use. I plan to obtain one of their watch rolls soon.

I've visited the Ettinger showroom in London and the people there are very pleasant and very helpful. I've also had quite lengthy conversations with Robert Ettinger at Pitti. Nice guy. The products are well made and the leather they use seems to me to be pretty high quality.

My wife uses Ettinger for small executive gifts for certain corporate events that she organizes for her company and the items are very well received. Ettinger does a good job with personalization.

Would be good to see a picture of how the card wallet has aged. Was that a recent purchase?

AxlJack

Reaction score
Great leather and well made! Ages very nicely over time.
The only downside is that they are all machine-stiched, for what they charge RRP, I would always go for customised hand-stiched options from independent artisans (all my Ettingers were purchased during sample/clearance sale at 70% off)

I was leaning towards that option because of the differences between machine and hand stitched, but couldn't find enough info expect for Chester Mox. Would prefer a maker in the isles tbh.....any recommendations on particular artisans?

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was leaving towards that option because of the differences between machine and hand stitched, but couldn't find enough info expect for Chester Mox. Would prefer a maker in the isles tbh.....any recommendations on particular artisans?

I've gotten into arguments here before regarding hand/machine sewn. There is honestly a little bit too much focus on hand sewing everything on these forums.

Hermes machine sews much of their leather, including $20-40k dollar Birkin bags.

Chester Mox is a great company. Don't want to drag it at all. I think Ettinger looks a little more interesting. (If not your taste could be called flashy and thats down to opinion).

Artking3

Reaction score
I have both Chester Mox and Ettinger wallets, and enjoy them both. I focus more on the different leather types than the stitching, to be honest, but the higher prices for CM’s hand stitching is worth it for the aesthetics for some people. I haven’t had any thread come lose for either sort of stitching, so durability is not a concern.

duriangris

Reaction score
I have been using a chest wallet daily for ~4 years now. Blue and tan, gorgeous color. I have abused it a bit. Still holds well. Caveat is the inside yellow tan tends to have black spots around where the credit cards are. Never been able to clean this. Also never been able to polish the wallet anywhere close it's brand new state. I'll try to post pictures later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads