Etro

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I was looking at a couple of Etro sports coats over this past weekend.  I liked the funky details (like leather edging on a tweed coat) but was worried that I would look at the piece in my closet in two weeks and say, "what the heck was I thinking?"  So I was wondering what other people thought about Etro and whether their pieces can easily be dressed up or down or are best left to parties and art gallery openings.

2. VWpete

VWpete Senior member

I like their tone'd down jackets and pants... the one you describe sounds awfully nice. I own an Etro (orange and blue)diagonal striped shirt that is amazing. I get compliments every time I wear it whether it be out clubbing or at nice men's stores. Etro makes some incredible clothes with forward design I really appreciate. I especially like their shirts and ties. I think some of their crazier pieces are a bit out there, but I've seen some great looks with their sport coats. If you like it and feel comfortable in it, it will look great. Good luck.
    Pete

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Etro but I stick with their subtler tailored clothing. Some of their shirts and ties are wonderful. Just the thing to wear when you are in a cheerful mood. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an Etro suit I once saw at Neiman Marcus Last Call in San Antonio. An incredible three button in a dark charcoal grey silk with a very red lining. Of course I passed up three different NWT Oxxford Tailcoats that day at $120 each. I must have been crazy.