• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etro Suits: Good, No Good?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have come across an Etro Suit online priced fairly reasonably at $260.

http://www.flannelsfashion.com/Desig...lend-suit.aspx

I like the look and am tempted to buy it, but do not like buying stuff I have little or no clue of. If the suit is not of at least reasonable quality, I will not bother buying it.

Please let me know what you think of Etro in general regarding suits - are they fused, canvassed, etc etc?

Also this suit is only available at 56. I am 46 American size, how trim do these suits run? I would get it tailored in any case, but if it is too trim particularly around the chest, there will be little a tailor could do here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy an Etro suit unless you can go to a store and try one on. They have a distinctive cut that may or may not work for you. If you like the cut and you want a fashion forward suit then go ahead.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would much prefer to try on myself, but nearest Etro store to me that I know of is about 250miles out in the desert near Palm Springs CA (In Cabazon outlet mall). Did not pay attention to Etro before, but I like that suit in the link I posted (a UK site). Price is cheap enough for me to take a risk, but would prefer to take an educated risk.

I prefer slightly more conservative suits, but do not mind spicing things up a bit on occasion. But if that Etro suit has too "fashiony" a cut or too low quality, I would not want it even if it is literally a giveaway.

Hans

Reaction score
They run a little bit small. I wear size 36 (US) and the one Etro suit I have is size 38 and fits me well. Bear that in mind when you order online.

Their suits are made by Boglioli and are usually fused.

Quite funky, though.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Also this suit is only available at 56. I am 46 American size, how trim do these suits run? I would get it tailored in any case, but if it is too trim particularly around the chest, there will be little a tailor could do here.

An Etro 56/46 is probably closer to a 54/44 from most other makes although they do seem to have some styles which aren't cut so trim. The one you linked to looks like one of the trim cut ones though.

Harrydog

Reaction score
I have come across an Etro Suit online priced fairly reasonably at $260.

http://www.flannelsfashion.com/Desig...lend-suit.aspx

I like the look and am tempted to buy it, but do not like buying stuff I have little or no clue of. If the suit is not of at least reasonable quality, I will not bother buying it.

Please let me know what you think of Etro in general regarding suits - are they fused, canvassed, etc etc?

That is 260 pounds not 260 dollars, so you are looking at about 420 dollars plus shipping.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would much prefer to try on myself, but nearest Etro store to me that I know of is about 250miles out in the desert near Palm Springs CA (In Cabazon outlet mall). Did not pay attention to Etro before, but I like that suit in the link I posted (a UK site). Price is cheap enough for me to take a risk, but would prefer to take an educated risk.

I prefer slightly more conservative suits, but do not mind spicing things up a bit on occasion. But if that Etro suit has too "fashiony" a cut or too low quality, I would not want it even if it is literally a giveaway.

I feel for you trying to find quality items in Santa Maria!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
They run a little bit small. I wear size 36 (US) and the one Etro suit I have is size 38 and fits me well. Bear that in mind when you order online.

Their suits are made by Boglioli and are usually fused.

Quite funky, though.

Originally Posted by zippyh
An Etro 56/46 is probably closer to a 54/44 from most other makes although they do seem to have some styles which aren't cut so trim. The one you linked to looks like one of the trim cut ones though.

This is very useful. Figured may be fused due to price (
plain.gif
). For a good suit fit, I should be 23.5" armpit to armpit, it sounds like Etro will more likely be 23" armpit to armpit if it is close to 44. For safety, OTR suits I prefer 24" pit to pit and then my tailor works his magic.

Pity, I do like the look of that Etro suit linked (slightly unconventional but nonetheless cool). Im sure I will find another like it or in future go Bespoke route.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I feel for you trying to find quality items in Santa Maria!

LOL - nearest "average" shopping to me is Santa Barbara. To find good stuff, it is a 250 odd mile trip to go to San Fran or 180 odd to LA. San Fran is at least a pretty drive if I go the slow route up the 1.

Santa Maria sucks, I am hoping to move up closer to San Fran. Good wine and BBQ here though
smile.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL - nearest "average" shopping to me is Santa Barbara. To find good stuff, it is a 250 odd mile trip to go to San Fran or 180 odd to LA. San Fran is at least a pretty drive if I go the slow route up the 1.

Santa Maria sucks, I am hoping to move up closer to San Fran. Good wine and BBQ here though
smile.gif

I'm from Santa Maria, I work in San Francisco, and live in Oakland. I concur that Santa Maria isn't much to look at, but the tri tip is good! The shopping in Santa Barbara is, in my opinion, not much (any) better than you can find in SLO.

In my experience there's better shopping in Los Angeles than in San Francisco. In particular, it's hard to find really nice shoes in SF (besides Alden), while you have both the Lobb shop and Leather Soul in Southern California. The LA Ralph Lauren store is superior to its SF counterpart as well.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
To clarify, Etro does vary in cut amongst their suits. Typically though, they have a skinny --not slim-- cut. Depending on whom you typically wear, I would recommend sizing up.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i heard Boglioli makes suit for Etro.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I'm from Santa Maria, I work in San Francisco, and live in Oakland. I concur that Santa Maria isn't much to look at, but the tri tip is good! The shopping in Santa Barbara is, in my opinion, not much (any) better than you can find in SLO.

In my experience there's better shopping in Los Angeles than in San Francisco. In particular, it's hard to find really nice shoes in SF (besides Alden), while you have both the Lobb shop and Leather Soul in Southern California. The LA Ralph Lauren store is superior to its SF counterpart as well.

True, SLO and SB are about equal shopping wise. Yes LA is better than SF no doubt in regards to stores. I enjoy my time in SF more than LA though, different crowd as well.

I like the coast though in central CA. Very dramatic.

Since you are from around here, please let me know what outlet centres you frequented in this area. I only recently moved to CA from Arkansas, and prior to that I lived in England for about 5 years. Pismo sucks for outlets, but there is one near Ventura. What is that one like?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fused crap but you should try it before buying - simply finding what you perceive to be a bargain without trying something is a waste of money and very expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads