• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etro made to measure

UK2004

Reaction score
On the Etro website it mentions made to measure but no details about where they offer it, is just the flagship store in Milan or are there others. Also anyone had experience with their made to measure service, what did you think in terms of quality of fit and variety of clothes on offer, I presume they do coats, suits and shirts?

DGstyles

Reaction score
Styleforum has varying opinions of Etro and their colorful and crazy designs. I, personally, am a fan of SOME of their clothing, maybe about 50% of what they produce. I am pretty daring, but would not wear some of their stuff.

I am not familiar with their MTM, but keep in mind that Boglioli produce their suits for the most part. The best thing to do to find out more information is to call their New York store or stop into one. That would be my best recommendation.

On a separate note out of curiosity, what compels you to want to try Etro's MTM?

UK2004

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the reply, I didn't know that was who made their suits. I love Etro stuff, I agree some is far too showy but some of it I find just right. I find though my natural measurements never look right in an off the peg suit so would rather go for made to measure. I love some of their overcoats too fantastic linings and nice cuts so would like one of those made to measure to. I will pop into the London store.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch Etro's MTM with a 10 foot pole. Maybe a 19, or 20 though.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I wouldn't touch Etro's MTM with a 10 foot pole. Maybe a 19, or 20 though.

Spoken like a man who's never handled a good 11-to-18-foot pole.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I admit, my experience with poles is very limited.

That's not what the sailors at fleet week told me.

*rimshot*

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
That's not what the sailors at fleet week told me.

*rimshot*

OH SNAP, you got me!
blush.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

UK2004

Reaction score
Have you heard negative things about their mtm service or just not keen on their clothes?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
Have you heard negative things about their mtm service or just not keen on their clothes?

Etro, as a brand, doesn't get a lot of love on Styleforum. Most likely because of the (over)inflated prices relative to the quality of the construction. Personally speaking, I think they make some interesting items and make a lot of bold -- sometimes cool, sometimes fail-worthy -- moves with design. I would never pay full retail for their stuff, though.

The reason Etro MTM doesn't make a ton of sense is that, for the price, you can get better clothing with other purveyors. In the MTM game, you get more choices than you do with RTW -- thereby negating Etro's one possible advantage, i.e., design flair. I am not speaking from personal experience with their program; I am only speaking via some knowledge of the brand vis-a-vis others that offer MTM services at the same price points.

UK2004

Reaction score
But it's their unique design flair that makes me want a couple of suits and coats MTM.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
one of my loudest shirts is an ETRO
frown.gif
i only own 2 of em but they are both loud as can be, the look i go for sometimes!!!!!!

DGstyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
But it's their unique design flair that makes me want a couple of suits and coats MTM.

Then you should get them. I know that Etro's quality is not near the quality of other options out there for the same amount of money or less, GENERALLY speaking. I have several blazers, shirts, pants, scarves, and one navy suit. Quality of the shirts is blah, but I like the designs (stripes mostly, nothing crazy). I love my blazers, as they have a nice cut and drape nicely. I absolutely love my suit. Overall quality is above average, in my opinion.

In the end, to answer your question, I don't believe anyone on here has tried Etro's MTM. I will try them for one suit in the future, just because I like the design house and because I enjoy some of their striking designs (don't expect the suit to be along those lines though). Go ahead and try them out. Who knows, maybe the quality is even better than their RTW. Good luck, and report back on your experience!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads