• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eton versus Brooks Brothers

W.R.

Reaction score
In terms of quality of the garments used and the fine work that goes into crafting a shirt, how would you compare Eton to Brooks Brothers?

Over here in Sweden, Eton, strangely (being a Swedish company) is far from having the best reputation. Brooks Brothers, on the other hand, is almost worshipped by many Swedish style bloggers and clothing experts, although there are zero retailers of Brooks Bros shirts in Sweden.

Why might this be the case?

MrChris

Reaction score
I have 2 Eton shirts, I like the fabric quality, they don't get very wrinkled even after an entire days use. On the other hand the button stiching is not very good, the buttons get loose quickly.

Pretty decent shirt, nothing spectacular though.
I have no experience of BB.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Sorry but you are wrong. Brooks Brothers are sold at NK in Stockholm.

My layman opinion is that they quality wise are about the same. However, for the last ten years I almost exclusively wear BB shirts (which I order online or buy at their London store) and only have a couple of Eton shirts in my rotation.

The Swedish style bloggers love for BB is just a fad and one should not draw any conclusions about the quality of the shirt's cloth or construction from that.

ThaneK

Reaction score
No comparison between Eton and BB; the Eton is far superior. The fabrics are among the very best (heavy and soft) in any shirt, and the tailoring is much cleaner. When I bought my first I was temporarily miffed to learn it did not have removable collar stays, but after wearing with a few different jackets/suits, I realized that both with and without tie it laid/rolled perfectly on its own.

Eton is 2-3 quality categories above Brooksie in every way.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No comparison between Eton and BB; the Eton is far superior. The fabrics are among the very best (heavy and soft) in any shirt, and the tailoring is much cleaner. When I bought my first I was temporarily miffed to learn it did not have removable collar stays, but after wearing with a few different jackets/suits, I realized that both with and without tie it laid/rolled perfectly on its own.

+1
I have about a dozen from each maker. I absolutely love the reliability of Eton non-iron shirts. They really do hold up superbly under even the heaviest full days usage. I highly recommend Eton.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1
I have about a dozen from each maker. I absolutely love the reliability of Eton non-iron shirts. They really do hold up superbly under even the heaviest full days usage. I highly recommend Eton.

I never tried Eton...

I might give it a go next time..

Owen Meany

Reaction score
I purchased 5 Eton's earlier this year and really like them, in fact they have become the preferred shirt in my rotation. My highest end shirts (Borrelli) win out in terms of materials quality but the non-iron keeps the Eton looking good all day but most of all they just fit me perfectly.

For reference, I have many H&K, BB, H&H, Nordstrom, Borrelli and next I want to try T&A.

UncleCozy

Reaction score

If you rate Eton among the very best, you surely haven't tried the very best. I'd perhaps rate Eton a notch above BB, but I have Eton shirts that are worse than BB's.

They're exceedingly overpriced in my opinion, that being said, their crease-free/non-iron range does the job quite well.

div25sec9

Reaction score
It depends on the shirt. I have Etons that are average, and others that are awesome. One I have is equivalent to my Borelli; they are equel in materials, the Borelli would win out on the craftsmanship side, the Eton in fit. All the Brooks Brothers I have come across have nothing on them.

Getzione

Reaction score

If you rate Eton among the very best, you surely haven't tried the very best. I'd perhaps rate Eton a notch above BB, but I have Eton shirts that are worse than BB's.
They're exceedingly overpriced in my opinion, that being said, their crease-free/non-iron range does the job quite well.

I have a wide experience with Eton, and to say that the fabrics are "among the very best in any shirt" is just silly. And makes me think you work for Eton?
They are however of a fair quality. As mentioned here they dont crease much, due to the treatment they use on the fabrics. I like them for more casual wear.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true that Eton shirts don't crease and the collars and cuffs stay nice and sturdy, and the fabrics look glossy and feel very soft, but they are chemically treated. The buttons are also plastic on the vast majority of their shirts, and none of the stitching is done by hand. In short, they function well as shirts, particularly for travel/airports, &c., but they are not are very high quality really, esp. for the full retail price.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a wide experience with Eton, and to say that the fabrics are "among the very best in any shirt" is just silly. And makes me think you work for Eton?
They are however of a fair quality. As mentioned here they dont crease much, due to the treatment they use on the fabrics. I like them for more casual wear.

They are a good midrange shirt and def better than BB. I often buy them on sale for $150 or less which I think is a good deal.

It's true that Eton shirts don't crease and the collars and cuffs stay nice and sturdy, and the fabrics look glossy and feel very soft, but they are chemically treated. The buttons are also plastic on the vast majority of their shirts, and none of the stitching is done by hand. In short, they function well as shirts, particularly for travel/airports, &c., but they are not are very high quality really, esp. for the full retail price.

I haven't seen one with plastic buttons. In fact, always MOP. Possible that they carry a separate euro brand?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads