• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eton shirts

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard mention of Eton shirts before, but exactly how good are they?

I've picked up an Eton shirt in my neck size (17.5), but unfortunately the body of the shirt is much too big for me (38R in suits, so its impossible to find a fitting shirt outside of custom). The fabric is excellent, and the construction seems good. There are unusual features, such as convertable cuffs and an offset button on the chest pocket. The shirt overall seems very 'quality' and looks beautiful.

1) what is the normal retail price on Eton dress shirts?
2) what is the country of manufacture? the tag says 'Eton of Sweeden', but no real 'made in ------' tag
3) what other brands does Eton compare to?

I'm planning on selling this on ebay, but there are very few listed at any given time, and the prices seem to be low. Is anyone interested in it? Color is light gray, beautiful fabric, 17.5 (euro 44). I might take some pics and list it in 'buying and selling'.

drljva

Reaction score
I'm of two minds when it comes to Eton shirts. On the one hand, I love the fact that these shirts travel extremely well. Eton's "non-iron" cotton still manages to look good after 18 hour flights, etc. That said, I find that the cotton simply doesn't "breathe" the way "normal" cotton does. For this reason, I would never trade-in my Borrellis, Charvets, etc. for a shirt collection that consists only of Eton. Still, the fabrics are nice and the workmanship and styling is nice. My understanding is that these shirts are made in Sweden.

LJVA

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The fabric does look amazing, and though it's been folded up on a shelf for a few days, it has wrinkled and creased very little.

I can see how it might not breathe too well, as the weave seems very tight and the fabric is quite rich.

Any other opinions?

BjornH

Reaction score
I asked the clerk at my favorite mens store about Stenström and Eatons shirts some time ago. He said that the production of one of the brands had been mostly moved to the Baltic countries but the other was still made in Sweden. Problem is, I can't remember which brand was made locally but after a cursory search on the web it seems like Stenströms is made in Sweden so I guess Eaton is not.

As for comparison to other brands I would lump Eaton with the second tier english shirts such as TM Lewin and Pink. I would rate Stenströms much higher but all of this is just based on some shirt petting in stores as I don't own any of the better Swedish shirts.

Interestingly, Swedes take their shirts rather seriously and there are a lot of local shirt brands. Stores that only sell shirts and accessories are common downtown and in malls so it's a refreshing change from back home.

B

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
I asked the clerk at my favorite mens store about Stenström and Eatons shirts some time ago. He said that the production of one of the brands had been mostly moved to the Baltic countries but the other was still made in Sweden. Problem is, I can't remember which brand was made locally but after a cursory search on the web it seems like Stenströms is made in Sweden so I guess Eaton is not.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but both brands are manufactured in Estonia, except for about 20 % of the Eton shirts that are made at the original factory located in GÃ¥nghester, Sweden.

Stenströms doesn't even make their MTM shirts in Sweden.

/Mr Sweden

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the shirt brand, Daniel Shagen from West Germany? I remember in the late 70's,early 80's these were the top shirt carried by Louis of Boston.I recall their elaborate clear plastic collar bands and special pacakaging.I think back then they went for 125-175 apiece.I still have a couple in my closet.The collars are a bit small,but great cloth.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Eton shirts, particularly their slim fit model. Great fabrics, and the non-iron element is amazing. I own maybe seven or eight shirts from Eton, and plan on buying more.

llevy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashionslave
Does anyone remember the shirt brand, Daniel Shagen from West Germany? I remember in the late 70's,early 80's these were the top shirt carried by Louis of Boston.I recall their elaborate clear plastic collar bands and special pacakaging.I think back then they went for 125-175 apiece.I still have a couple in my closet.The collars are a bit small,but great cloth.

I remember Daniel Shagen shirts. They seemed to just drop off the earth around 1982. They were expensive back then but well worth the price and I would be willing to pay double today if they are being made anywhere. I tried Googling it, and your quote was the only appropriate reference. So, I assume they are out of business. I have tried Eton. While Eton is nice, they don't fit or wear as well. If you ever track down Shagen, let me know.

llevy

Reaction score
I remember Daniel Shagen. They seemed to drop of the earth around 1982. They were expensive then but well worth the price. If I could find them now, I would gladly pay double, but since your question is the only appropriate reference that I got when I Googled them, they must be out of business. I have tried Eton, and, although they are nice, they often fit funny and do not wear as well as the Shagens did. Shagens were amazing. They never wrinkled, had fused collars and cuffs that the cleaners couldn't screw up, and fit.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vman, I've never heard of a 38R suit wearer that also takes a 17.5 shirt! When you are my age and wear a size 42R or 44R suit(which you will), you'll probably take a size 21" shirt
laugh.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
LOL this thread is from 2004.

I am really more of a 16.75 or 17 collar size now that I know how a correct-fitting shirt feels. I still take a 38 to 40 jacket, though.

Ha, I didn't look at the thread start date!

I guess you liked your shirts loose, way back when
laugh.gif

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny, I recently looked at this thread as there was an eton in my size on ebay. My $15 bid was outsniped by a $15.09 bid...too bad, looked like a nice shirt.

Pentonville

Reaction score
I own many Eton shirts, along with others such as Zegna, BB, Stenstroms, Corneliani and Sangar MTM Albini.

Eton compares very favorably to Zegna and Corneliani, even though less known. Eton is very proud of their own wrinkle-free composition, which supposedly is free of chemicals such as formaldehyde, and instead based on natural materials which should not compromise the integrity of the cotton thread.
I love them, and find the cotton richer than in many more expensive shirts. Downside, to the hardcore connoisseurs, is that the collar stays are not removable, and that the buttons are not pure MOP, but a mix with plastic. This is supposedly to ensure the same quality in all buttons, because Eton's production these days is quite large and growing. Sounds like a reasonable argument to me. Buttonholes are well stitched, and buttons are stitched on with a slight elevation to not crease the buttoned shirt. Medium cutaway collars look great with a medium size tie knot.

I recommend them, especially good value on bi-yearly sales.

Have a good one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics