• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette Question.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stayed at my friends parents house for the weekend. I gave my host a nice present as a token of my appreciation before I left. Is it necessary for me to send them a hand written 'thank you' note? Would the present suffice?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you still need to send a note.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the gift is perfectly goddamn sufficient. But my mom would tell me to write a note. So I usually end up deciding to write the note, but mostly because it's a really good way of making people remember and like you (particularly later middle aged or older folks) if you would enjoy receiving favors from them in the future.

Hany

Reaction score
I would have given the gift at arrival and note at/after departure.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In this day and age, few people write notes. Few people would notice you hadn't written a note. You'll be in no trouble for not writing a note.

Which is all the more reason to write a note. It takes 5 minutes and costs $3 for a card/note and $.42 to mail it, and you'll stand out like a champ. People will always remember your kindness, politesse, and classiness. It's so easy to really be thought of as a gentleman these days, because the bar is already set so low. It's like jumping over a crack in the pavement.

I keep an inexpensive box of notecards in my office desk just for this purpose. I can ram out a note, address it (with the help of the Interwebz), have a stamp on it, and drop it in the OGM box at work inside 3 minutes.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany

That's what I'd have done. Still sending a note, now can't hurt.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany

+1

I think giving a gift at departure, and then sending a note right after, while a nice gesture, is a bit much and *I'd* think you were a bit weird, albeit polite, fellow

Willmac

Reaction score
Always send a note! And don't forget to handwrite it!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should go back and wash their car over the weekend.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The present came with a hand written note on it.

lwt

Reaction score
I agree...send the note...It really doesn't take that much effort to do and means a lot to the person who receives it...especially now a days when so few people do it.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hutchingsp