Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Gefilte fish. Pickled herring. I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.
    You want a little chopped liver maybe?

2. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

I like sushi but I think it is at least 30% overpriced, in terms of how much satisfaction I get for what I pay for. If it were cheaper I would like it a lot more

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

You want a little chopped liver maybe?

Sure!

Chopped liver done right is great and I like it.

4. SField

SField Senior member

Gefilte fish.

Pickled herring.

I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.

Yes, these are absolutely rancid. Traditional european jewish food like that is usually terrible. THe food they eat in Israel however, is borrowed from the rest of the region, so as cheap and fresh stuff goes, it's quite good.

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

I like sushi but I think it is at least 30% overpriced, in terms of how much satisfaction I get for what I pay for. If it were cheaper I would like it a lot more

Once I discovered a great fish market by me, I stopped going out for sushi unless meeting a large group. I prefer nigiri over rolls, so it's not hard to combine a good piece of fresh fish and a clump of rice at home.

6. SField

SField Senior member

Well the reason people go nuts for Sushi is for a few reasons.

Firstly, a good Sushi experience will have a skilled person giving you a variety of rolls and guaging your reactions to what they give you. The product has to be rather fresh, so people also get excited about that.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I guess it depends on what price you think 30% overpriced is.

Generally in the Seattle area I'm paying an average of $3-5 for two pieces of sushi/ and $9-12 for pretty large and complex rolls. Of course, there are "expensive" places. But thats like, special occasion shit. [​IMG]

I find that to be pretty reasonable.

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yes, these are absolutely rancid. Traditional european jewish food like that is usually terrible. THe food they eat in Israel however, is borrowed from the rest of the region, so as cheap and fresh stuff goes, it's quite good.

+1. It's like they thought, hmmm, chicken and fish are tasty, so let's boil the shit out of them until there's nothing left but flavorless white mush.

Borscht is bad, but schav is just plain nasty.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

You've obviously never had a good borscht, pirozhki, or blini then.

I'd also say most of you posting in this thread are some picky motherfuckers.

yup, never had a good borscht or blini. but my judgement is clouded by travel to russia, it is always a real pain in the ass to eat well in russia

10. globetrotter

Gefilte fish.

Pickled herring.

I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.

+1

11. globetrotter

I agree with whoever said hummus... (when I worked in Paris, we'd never have time to eat in the kitchen so it was common for us to constantly be snacking on good hummus). I don't get why it's elevated to the level of wagyu by some people. It's a great simple food, in some ways very close to a mexican concept.

humous to me is like hamburger - it can be fanstastic or mcdonalds. I wouldn't say it is gourmet

12. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Well the reason people go nuts for Sushi is for a few reasons.

Firstly, a good Sushi experience will have a skilled person giving you a variety of rolls and guaging your reactions to what they give you. The product has to be rather fresh, so people also get excited about that.

Ah, that's a good sushi experience which sadly is extremely expensive, and hard to find on top of that. Best sushi I have ever had was served to me in such a manner by a sushi master in Southern California - who happened to be Korean, strangely enough. The best part was at the end of it all he took the scraps and ends of the fish fillets and mixed them together with rice to create a big sushi rice bowl. I thought it was a nice touch.

13. SField

SField Senior member

yup, never had a good borscht or blini. but my judgement is clouded by travel to russia, it is always a real pain in the ass to eat well in russia

Theres some good french restaurants in Moscow, but you're going to be paying more than at Per Se.

14. SField

SField Senior member

humous to me is like hamburger - it can be fanstastic or mcdonalds. I wouldn't say it is gourmet

Yes, just simple food. You can do a lot more with a hamburger than with hummus though.

15. globetrotter

Theres some good french restaurants in Moscow, but you're going to be paying more than at Per Se.

the resteraunt scene in moscow used to be insane, you could drop a few hundred bucks for shit without even thinking. now I just brown bag it for how ever long I am going to be there.