1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SField

SField Senior member

There are a bunch of different regional approaches to food in Mexico. I find most of them delicious, particularily southern Mexican food. The ersatz version made by non-Mexicans that you find all over America is foul, but it's not Mexican food.

Italian food suffers similarly in translation. Using cream to make carbonara sauce should be a capital crime.

I'd go further than that and state that most italian food on this continent is an absolute crime. But, like shitty gringo mexican food, it isn't what I'm interested in.

2. SField

SField Senior member

I don't know where you live, but I am pretty sure 90% of ALL food prepared in american restaurants (McDs or Trotters) is made by mexicans or at least hispanics (guatemalans, etc)...

Yea, the amount of mexicans in kitchens (not as much in the high end places, but they're still there) is staggering.

They work incredibly hard, they hone their craft, they don't give up, and they'll do it for less.

3. Lostinthesupermarket

Lostinthesupermarket Senior member

no offense but you are kind of babbling about things you don't really understand at this point

If you were annoyed by my lame joke about the relationship between the bad food and the immigration
    situation, fair enough. It was a throwaway remark , nothing more.

Nonetheless, I have eaten Mexican food in a bunch of different states in the US and have rarely had a better than mediocre experience. I have eaten a bunch of Mexican food in different Mexican states and have rarely had a less than pleasant one. I don't know what explains the fairly consistent difference. Do you?

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

If you were annoyed by my lame joke about the relationship between the bad food and the immigration

Nonetheless, I have eaten Mexican food in a bunch of different states in the US and have rarely had a better than mediocre experience. I have eaten a bunch of Mexican food in different Mexican states and have rarely had a less than pleasant one. I don't know what explains the fairly consistent difference. Do you?

There are plenty of metro areas in the US that have amazing mexican food. Every large US city has at least a few great mexican places, and some areas are more fortunate than others. I've been all over mexico in the last 10+ years, and I don't think that mexican mexican food is that much better. Sure you find some things you like here and there, but overall nothing I lost sleep about. And I've tried all kinds of regional mexican, upscale mexican, etc.

Seriously, by where I live there are at least 10 great mexican restaurants that span the range from a cheap greasy joint that serves the real stuff to a bunch of upscale places that are as good as anything I've found in mexico city. And the regional stuff as well.

P.S. I don't think I've ever had mexican food in the US that wasn't made by a mexican, most likely an illegal one as well.

5. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

Something I've noticed from traveling a lot: a particular ethnic cuisine seems to be very similar no matter where I have it. However, it is always a little bit different from "authentic". So, I always taste it and recognize what it is, but it tastes a little bit different in each place that I try it. There are several reasons for this that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Prime example is food that uses a lot of tropical fruit. . . in the northern US, those ingredients just are not available fresh. Thus, they are either omitted, substituted, or canned/frozen/preserved fruit is used instead since fresh is not available. The resulting dish isn't quite right then...doesn't have the same flavor anymore.

Similarly, cooking techniques sometimes have to change. Huge outdoor grills that roast half cows or lambs or whatnot just aren't practical within a major city that has bad weather.

Then, of course, the tastes of the local population sometimes dictate changes if a restaurant hopes to do a lot of business. Some places prefer saltier food, others sweeter, others spicier, etc. I always make it a point to drink a coke in every country I visit. Each time, the coke tastes slightly different. Sometimes thinner, sometimes fizzier, sometimes sweeter, etc. Coke in the US is usually thick, syrupy and not very good.

6. SField

SField Senior member

There are plenty of metro areas in the US that have amazing mexican food. Every large US city has at least a few great mexican places, and some areas are more fortunate than others. I've been all over mexico in the last 10+ years, and I don't think that mexican mexican food is that much better. Sure you find some things you like here and there, but overall nothing I lost sleep about. And I've tried all kinds of regional mexican, upscale mexican, etc.

Seriously, by where I live there are at least 10 great mexican restaurants that span the range from a cheap greasy joint that serves the real stuff to a bunch of upscale places that are as good as anything I've found in mexico city. And the regional stuff as well.

P.S. I don't think I've ever had mexican food in the US that wasn't made by a mexican, most likely an illegal one as well.

Matador is going to behead you via internet.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Matador is going to behead you via internet.

Oh, so what's where that machete came from...