1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse Distinguished Member

My great grandmother made some borscht that was excellent and very different, almost every commercial one I've tried I have disliked and hot > cold for me. So I can see how most people would dislike it.

My family was from an area that ate a lot of borscht. Even my mother knows how to make the stuff. I can't stand it. I don't like beets. On occasion, I can eat them when they are served with a salad, but that is all. I usually avoid them.

2. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior Member

Although I do like jalapeno poppers on the whole I am not that fond of Mexican cuisine either. On numerous occasions I have eaten at upper scale Mexican chain restaurants such as South of the Boarder, Chevys and when I was younger Chi-Chi's which I think went out of business and was never very impressed with my meals although I did enjoy certain aspects of them. I feel that many of the dishes combine too many ingredients on one plate and it becomes hard to eat. For example I feel that the lettuce from a burrito would be better on a separate dish with a salsa dressing than on top of the burrito.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Although I do like jalapeno poppers on the whole I am not that fond of Mexican cuisine either. On numerous occasions I have eaten at upper scale Mexican chain restaurants such as South of the Boarder, Chevys and when I was younger Chi-Chi's which I think went out of business and was never very impressed with my meals although I did enjoy certain aspects of them. I feel that many of the dishes combine too many ingredients on one plate and it becomes hard to eat. For example I feel that the lettuce from a burrito would be better on a separate dish with a salsa dressing than on top of the burrito.

[​IMG]

4. Milhouse

Chi-chis and South of the border??? You need to find a decent Mexican place, or even a street vendor that sells tacos de lengua o tortas. Rico!

5. Homme

Homme Distinguished Member

I agree with whoever said hummus... (when I worked in Paris, we'd never have time to eat in the kitchen so it was common for us to constantly be snacking on good hummus). I don't get why it's elevated to the level of wagyu by some people. It's a great simple food, in some ways very close to a mexican concept.

People think that highly of it ? Wow. I've never met anyone who thought hummus was any more than a dip that works well with kafta.

6. Milhouse

People think that highly of it ? Wow. I've never met anyone who thought hummus was any more than a dip that works well with kafta.

I've walked into the breakroom and heard coworkers talking about hummus at some restaurant before. I ask, sincerely, why it is so good. They usually ramble on using wine like terminology for the hummus. Then I say that it is just mashed up garbanzos and some sesame seeds, maybe some lemon, olive oil, and paprika. . . pretty simple, pretty cheap. They look at me with disgust and say "well, you've just never had GOOD hummus then".

There is a level of pretentiousness surrounding hummus that I can't honestly explain. Don't get me wrong, hummus is fine, I don't hate it, but to me, it is like refried beans, or lentils, or whatnot. . . cheap, poor food that is filling, not something to get all worked up about.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Ethiopian food - Don't understand this "trend". Really gross food and what's the appeal of no cutlery exactly?

Is this suddenly a "trend" in NY? I've been eating and enjoying Ethiopian food for 20+years, and the restaurants where I first ate it were already well-established when I happened along.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Chi-chis and South of the border??? You need to find a decent Mexican place, or even a street vendor that sells tacos de lengua o tortas. Rico!

YHBT

9. Lel

Lel Distinguished Member

British food in general, seems very bland to me and uninteresting. I'm not sure if it fits into your definition of ethnic, but I don't see how European countries should be excluded. Either way, it's really the only non-American(ized...) food that I can think of that I dislike as a whole, except for maybe Korean food. In both cases it just seems as if I could get better food from other countries that are nearby/similar.

10. Milhouse

YHBT

Gesundheit!

11. SField

SField Distinguished Member

British food in general, seems very bland to me and uninteresting. I'm not sure if it fits into your definition of ethnic, but I don't see how European countries should be excluded. Either way, it's really the only non-American(ized...) food that I can think of that I dislike as a whole, except for maybe Korean food. In both cases it just seems as if I could get better food from other countries that are nearby/similar.

Consider eating at any one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, your mind may be changed.

But English food provides the basis for what many americans eat. Along with German/easter european food it's just meat and potato...

12. SField

I've walked into the breakroom and heard coworkers talking about hummus at some restaurant before. I ask, sincerely, why it is so good. They usually ramble on using wine like terminology for the hummus. Then I say that it is just mashed up garbanzos and some sesame seeds, maybe some lemon, olive oil, and paprika. . . pretty simple, pretty cheap. They look at me with disgust and say "well, you've just never had GOOD hummus then".

There is a level of pretentiousness surrounding hummus that I can't honestly explain. Don't get me wrong, hummus is fine, I don't hate it, but to me, it is like refried beans, or lentils, or whatnot. . . cheap, poor food that is filling, not something to get all worked up about.

Holy shit are you serious? I know some people really love hummus but I didn't know it was that bad.

It's just pureed chickpeas with tahini, sesame, bit of lemon/paprika (in israel they use za'tar sometimes) and finished with olive oil and cilantro...

13. SField

Is this suddenly a "trend" in NY? I've been eating and enjoying Ethiopian food for 20+years, and the restaurants where I first ate it were already well-established when I happened along.

Yes east african food is a newer trend.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

My guess is that you started eating it in Berkeley, where Ethiopian food is actually very good, and has been a mainstay for a long time. Don't tell people back east, but whatever food is popular in NY was probably popular with dirty Berkeley hippies at least a decade before.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

well, in humous's defense - it is one of those things that only has a few simple ingredients, and needs to be mixed and mashed the right way. high quality olive oil, or a person making it who really knows what he is doing, can take it to a whole new level.

there are about a dozen really well known places in israel, where the humous doesn't run more than a few bucks a plate, but have great reputations. I've seen several tv talk shows where they have politicians and celebraties (blind) taste 5 plates of humous and identify where they come from, it is considered a real example of knowing the country well.