• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethics of photographing the homeless

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I was out taking portraits of people. I had been asking each and every subject if I could shoot them, and most were happy to let me. Then I came upon an elderly woman who seemed like an interesting subject. I asked for her permission and she said okay--as I was taking her picture, I engaged her in friendly discussion and soon found out she was homeless. I wound up buying her a couple of sandwiches and some bottled water. She seemed very appreciative.

From my understanding, there is some ethical rule in photography against taking pictures of the homeless as it constitutes a form of exploitation. How would you have dealt with the situation? Keep in mind, I am only taking pictures for personal use.

Moss

Reaction score
I would say that asking permission and explaining how you intend to use the photographs seem to keep you within ethical boundaries.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would say that asking permission and explaining how you intend to use the photographs seems to keep you within ethical boundaries.

+1.
DON'T just take the picture w/o asking......

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you are taking their pictures for exploitative use, then why bother asking their permission, right? but what you did was right, m... just ask the person's permission and treat them the same as every other person. and yeah maybe buy him/her something to eat and drink. unless you're piob whose gonna buy malt liquor. having gone through catholic school we've had programs were we'd spend time with people in the same situation and also people in prison and what I learned is most of them would appreciate it if you treat them like any other normal human being.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
What are you, a first year at Wellesley? If you want to shoot tired, pretentious subject matter, just take pictures of your feet. Problem solved.

Last edited:

aizan

Reaction score
getting her food and drink was nice. i probably would have asked some rude questions like, "how do you get food?", "where do you sleep?", "what's dangerous about being homeless?", "is it really all that bad?", "what have you learned?", "do you have a routine?", "do you have any health problems that you didn't have before?", "what do you think about all the people that either pretend to ignore you or totally ignore you for reals?", etc.

anyhow, there are great photos of homeless people, and you don't have to ask permission to be ethical.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

What are you, a first year at Wellesley? If you want to shoot tired, pretentious subject matter, just take pictures of your feet. Problem solved.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do you want to take pictures of them in the first place?

If you do it to help to underline the homeless situation , just tell them and they wil give you their consents.

They can be quite defensive because some people tend to picture them for some kind of voyeurist kick..

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fap material?

Obviously.

Why do you want to take pictures of them in the first place?
If you do it to help to underline the homeless situation , just tell them and they wil give you their consents.
They can be quite defensive because some people tend to picture them for some kind of voyeurist kick..

I have no social cause and I wasn't seeking to photograph a homeless person--I discovered she was homeless after I started taking her picture. I found most people (maybe even nine out of ten) very receptive to being photographed when asked politely. In fact, one person said no because he was having a bad day, apologized profusely, then approached me later to say he felt bad about before and asked if I'd be willing to shoot him now.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, I was out taking portraits of people. I had been asking each and every subject if I could shoot them, and most were happy to let me. Then I came upon an elderly woman who seemed like an interesting subject. I asked for her permission and she said okay--as I was taking her picture, I engaged her in friendly discussion and soon found out she was homeless. I wound up buying her a couple of sandwiches and some bottled water. She seemed very appreciative.
From my understanding, there is some ethical rule in photography against taking pictures of the homeless as it constitutes a form of exploitation. How would you have dealt with the situation? Keep in mind, I am only taking pictures for personal use.

I think asking for permission is all that is necessary.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough one. Since you're doing portraits you're accepting poses. If you wanted "unposed" shots it's kinda tough once you ask for permission; people change when they know they're being watched/photographed/filmed. If I understand the law correctly, in the US a person in a public space may be photographed w/o giving permission (no expectation of privacy), but in some countries you can find yourself on the wrong side of the law by doing so.

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Obviously.
I have no social cause and I wasn't seeking to photograph a homeless person--I discovered she was homeless after I started taking her picture. I found most people (maybe even nine out of ten) very receptive to being photographed when asked politely. In fact, one person said no because he was having a bad day, apologized profusely, then approached me later to say he felt bad about before and asked if I'd be willing to shoot him now.

Are you shooting people at the office? :confused:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Obviously.

Most people are fine with their pictures being taken...

Living in Paris during my teens and being more attractive than now , I have had my picture taken a few times by amateur photographs..

It's always pleasant to be asked even if you might lose that special moment making the picture interesting.

You can also be asked after the shot being done especially if you use a digital camera.

It's just a question of courtesy..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads