1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ethics of photographing the homeless

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mafoofan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Agree. Her art is bad and her recordings are terrible. She isn't really taken seriously. She exists with Mike Mills, Harrell Fletcher, Mark Borthwick, et al in the sentimental/precious guilty pleasure area of her artworld peers between contemporary art (Banks Violette and Sterling Ruby) and popular street art (Shepperd Fairey and Banksy). I think some artists get paid attention to here that might not elsewhere, due to the LA obsession with dramatic celebrities. Jeremy Blake and Theresa Duncan are good examples...the most tragic at least. Anyways, Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher apparently used to show up drunk at parties and get into huge public fights that would involve them hitting each other and her flashing strangers. Just what I've heard.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Involvment in the film world also helps, I mean more than 1% of the population actually cares about films enough to see stuff beside absolute certified classics with 40 yrs or more of recognition (kinda funny art is the other way around). Blake and Duncan were also a really good looking couple, which is a plus in LA (and elsewhere). I don't see much of a popular street art connection with July though, care to explain that positioning? BTW Sterling Ruby isn't shitty, in case that was your point (don't think it was).

Since we derailed: Foo, you seem to have handled the situation quite correctly, cheers.

3. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I was just drawing a spectrum of respect within a certain age group of artists. contemporary at top and street art at bottom. sort of a kitsch-avant garde thing really, despite all the dismissal of greenberg. i like ruby and violette.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ok, makes sense, although I'd say a discussion of kitsch and camp is really something that was a a much greater concern some time ago, be it found in the writings of Greenberg, Sontag or even Kundera. It is also quite distressing that art is such a minority concern that most of the good one just end up being like meaningful gestures made in the dark. Who cares if someone that was already salivating over the stuff is, once again, creaming his Prada pants in joy?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

is it just me or did people get waaaay too excited about this?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, they did. It always blew my mind how much people would bring it up. The whole movie too. I thought it was kind of pointless.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I don't remember a thing about that movie except for the pooping back and forth forever. That was brilliant.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Reading this later.

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Is it any good?

Apart from the pooping scenes?

13. Harold falcon

No.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I was going to buy it for the twins oncoming 4th birthday..

15. Harold falcon

I'm sure they'll love it.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I will go for something lighter like "Henry life of a serial killer"..