• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethics of photographing the homeless

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been asked a time or two, but declined each request.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
why should you ask them? homeless people aren't people in any real sense - more like flash bags full of useful organs who drain my tax dollars. if they had any value they'd have jobs and they'd be making real salaries. liberals like mafoofan are what's wrong with america today - why would you buy someone a sandwhich? you could've put that money to better use lighting it on fire. charity is the road to communism.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

why should you ask them? homeless people aren't people in any real sense - more like flash bags full of useful organs who drain my tax dollars. if they had any value they'd have jobs and they'd be making real salaries. liberals like mafoofan are what's wrong with america today - why would you buy someone a sandwhich? you could've put that money to better use lighting it on fire. charity is the road to communism.

So, so off the mark.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

So, so off the mark.

i'm not particularly mocking you.

and yes.. you should ask them. if they give you permission, how is it exploitation? it's not like you're using these pictures a la scott douchebag schuman.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If I understand the law correctly, in the US a person in a public space may be photographed w/o giving permission (no expectation of privacy), but in some countries you can find yourself on the wrong side of the law by doing so.

a few people out there still take the camera-steals-the-soul bit seriously.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my early twenties I went on a summer day excursion of photographing homeless people with a few friends. This was in the early 1980's. I approached each one, asked permission and if it was granted I snapped their photo. I then offered each one a crisp $10 bill if they would tell me their story in 5 minutes or less. After only 4 homeless people I could go on no further as I was too overwhelmed by their tragic stories. Not one of them wanted to be on the street. God bless and help them all. It is a day I will never forget.

A year later the same group did an outing in a cemetary. Black & White film only. We were nervous exploring the theme of death and did silly poses beside, on or under some monuments and photographed. I will tell you that photographing the homeless was a very sad day, but photographing in the cemetary had the most deeply disturbing after-effect on me. I really felt that I had meddled with something; some force that should never be meddled with. After looking through my developed photos I was a nervous wreck and the next weekend i returned to that cemetary, went to each stone and monument I had photographed, knelt and apologised to their spirits and begged forgiveness. I am serious, I actually wept while I apologised. Then I destroyed the photos and negatives.

Sorry this post was so heavy but that is what happened and how I felt about it.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a pretty normal conversation with a guy for about 20 minutes before I knew he was homeless. He asked me for some change after a long while. I only had $20's. He made out good that day.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a pretty normal conversation with a guy for about 20 minutes before I knew he was homeless. He asked me for some change after a long while. I only had $20's. He made out good that day.

I think I'd charge more than a dollar a minute to talk to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads