1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

essentials when out on your own for the first time?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by rjakapeanut, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What are you planning to do inbetween terms? A lot of schools kick you out of the dorms over winter break.

Minifridge and Microwave are good.
    Maybe a hotplate (alot of dorms don't allow these) or one of those electric kettles.
    Some kind of toiletry basket/tray to bring in and out of the shared bathroom with you.
    A robe
    possibly earplugs

I was thinking more about what is he going to do during the summer.

Also, FWIW, your only choice is not a hotel room. Look for a furnished room near the University or near where you are working. It's kind of simple, even for a retarded cynic like me.

As to student loans paying for your dorm: the loan people don't care where you live. Pocket that money and live out of your car. I still agree with you, shelter is a big waste of money.

2. Usul

Usul Senior member

This is good advice, also: a tent?

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

once i get in my dorm, what shit will really come in handy? only thing i can think of right now is a mini fridge and microwave.
    Soap, shaving stuff, toothbrush, deodorant, desk lamp, fan, enough clothes to last two weeks with out washing, clothes detergent, pillow and sheets for bed, pens and paper, laundry bag, trash can. Is really all you need. Public transit or car. The library has computers and printers you can use at most universities. If you want to eat frozen meals and popcorn, a small fridge and a microwave. Get the meal plan if you don't want to make food. The less crap you have to haul the easier it is when you have to move. You will be sharing a room the size of a shoe box with another person and a bathroom with about 50 messy 18-20 year olds. Im 25 and currently live in a dorm, its not to bad, but the constant drunkness/loud noises and lack of privacy got really annoying, but im making do. Not being from the area it was easier to move to a dorm, and its not all that bad once you get used to it. Getting a private dorm to your self is worth the money when your older, but if your just 18 room with people it will teach you how to live with others. The tent and or living in your car sounds like a bad idea, just get a dorm..... Just my opinion.

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

a pair of flip flops

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

uhh my dorm room had everything cept a microwave...and ya, you did sound like you were bragging, and no, I'm not a retarded cynic, ask around about me [​IMG]

I asked. The consensus is just retarded. [​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

oh, you met my ex after she moved to Montreal. It's all lies I tell you [​IMG]

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'm very mature for my age

8. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

what is the point of this thread?

I opened it thinking 'ahh, some kid is getting his first house, what do I buy in what order'...which is cool, I have suggestions there. Lots of them. Turns out more like 'some kid wants to brag that he ran away from home before college and actually doesn't need shit cos he is sleeping on his friend's sofa, because, ya, that's gonna impress me'....which takes me back to my initial question:

what is the point of this thread?

Yeah, was thinking the same when I opened & read the first post. Basically he's doing this for...fun? hipster training? I don't get it either.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Couple of questions:
    How old is your MacBook?
    How old is your iPhone?
    Where do you park your car?

10. Valor

Valor Senior member

long story short i had to move out of my parents house.

i'm 19, moving on campus at UNI in august. in the mean time i am bouncing around between friends houses, mostly keeping all of my shit in my car. here's what i have:

macbook
    iphone

Made me giggle. Rich kids in suburbia...

11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

yeah, have a job. $14 an hour, ~30 hours a week.

You can't afford a place with that money? Fridays and Saturdays crash at your friends places, and the other days just use a cheap motel. Unless your friends are almost like family I wouldn't want to wear out my welcome.

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

13. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

Made me giggle. Rich kids in suburbia...

my parents have never made more than $100k a year combined.

First off, if you're smart are you claim you are, you should have figured out that paying for a hotel room is not the only way to find a place to stay. [​IMG] Check out short-term leases and room rentals on craigslist.

Secondly, I'm sorry if your home situation is unsafe and forced you to leave, I'll take your word for it. But the fact remains that you have posted here several times about how you have your own business and significant savings - the fact remains that you represented that you have no other choice than to live in your car when you can't find friends to crash with, and that is untrue.

did i claim i was smart? i don't remember doing that. that doesn't sound like me. also, never thought about room rentals. thats a good idea. ill check that out.

i do have my own business, but it's stumbling right now. i'm making money. but it's stumbling. also, keep in mind this business is a very small operation. as in two employees.

my savings are fairly significant i guess....but i do have loans and i don't like to dip into them.

sorry if i sounded like i was bragging. i wasn't. there's nothing really to brag about. also, sorry if you're butthurt i called a couple of you retarded. don't act retarded next time :[.

i didn't represent that i have no friends to crash with -- i just said i don't want to burden them too much. i've been crashing with different people for the past few days, on their couches.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

lol @ butthurt. I may be retarded, but I know who was butthurt.

peanut, you're doing fine. G'luck on your endeavors.

15. rjakapeanut

ftr piobaire i wasn't talking about you. you're like my favorite user in gen chat/CE

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

ftr piobaire i wasn't talking about you. you're like my favorite user in gen chat/CE

[​IMG]

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What does "I dipped" mean?

Are you suggesting that you like to dip snus?

18. rjakapeanut

What does "I dipped" mean?

Are you suggesting that you like to dip snus?

disgusting!!

i dipped = hip lingo for i had to leave.