1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

essentials when out on your own for the first time?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by rjakapeanut, Jun 30, 2010.

1. onix

onix Senior member

And then waht? Was he able to find a full time position as a homeless person somewhere?

The school didn't really know since it's normal for a grad student to work overnight. Career-wise, it doesn't affect him that much. He got a postdoc position in another school. I have no clue if he's still doing that.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Pick up a fucking clue and some balls. A GF might help as well.

P.S. you're not "homeless."

3. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

What did you do that made your parents kick you to the curb?

They didn't. I dipped.

I don't get the iPhone/MacBook/back with parents quip. I was able to purchase those myself in the past. It doesn't make sense to rent an apartment for a month.

I also won't rent a room for a month. Huge waste of cash, especially considering I could go across town and live with my dad for a while.

I'd rather do this. More fun. Last night i crashed at a buddy's house. Tonight I'm crashing at another friends house.

I probably wont end up sleeping in my car more than a couple times.

Bbl. Posting this from the apple store iPad.

4. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Not joking .. but if it isn't too far out of the way, crash at the airport. No one looks twice at a well groomed individual sleeping at the airport. Also lots of amenities, and the like.

I've read stories of people who have lived at the airport for months at a time.

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Why don't you just use Starwood Points to stay in a Westin/W/Meridien for a month or two? [​IMG]

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

long story short i had to move out of my parents house.

i'm 19, moving on campus at UNI in august. in the mean time i am bouncing around between friends houses, mostly keeping all of my shit in my car. here's what i have:

macbook
    iphone
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    shampoo
    soap
    clothes
    pillow
    blanket

i may have to sleep in my car every now and then. not sure yet. i don't want to be a burden on my friends.

any items i should consider picking up out there to make this temporarily homeless situation a bit more bearable?

They didn't. I dipped.

I don't get the iPhone/MacBook/back with parents quip. I was able to purchase those myself in the past. It doesn't make sense to rent an apartment for a month.

I also won't rent a room for a month. Huge waste of cash, especially considering I could go across town and live with my dad for a while.

I'd rather do this. More fun. Last night i crashed at a buddy's house. Tonight I'm crashing at another friends house.

I probably wont end up sleeping in my car more than a couple times.

Bbl. Posting this from the apple store iPad.

WTF is wrong with you? I promise, SF would think you are just as cool if you had come out and said "I decided to leave my parent's house for a month or two and bum around. I dont really feel like paying to stay anywhere - advise?" rather than implying that you got kicked out of your house and have no other option than to bum around and sleep in your car.[​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So why does getting a room in August stop being a "huge waste of cash." Do this through your entire post-secondary education.

8. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

So why does getting a room in August stop being a "huge waste of cash." Do this through your entire post-secondary education.

[​IMG]

9. oman

oman Senior member

where you staying in nawlins, bro? and what university?

10. rjakapeanut

because there is a difference between me paying for a hotel room and my financial aid paying for a dorm room. the dorm room ends up costing about $20 a day. compare that to a hotel room, consider i don't yet have my financial aid money.

where you staying in nawlins, bro? and what university?

UNO. i mainly stay in kenner and metairie just outside of new orleans.

WTF is wrong with you? I promise, SF would think you are just as cool if you had come out and said "I decided to leave my parent's house for a month or two and bum around. I dont really feel like paying to stay anywhere - advise?" rather than implying that you got kicked out of your house and have no other option than to bum around and sleep in your car.[​IMG]

if you're not smart enough to understand how "i had to move out of my parents house" and "i dipped" work together then i really don't think i even want to have this conversation with you.

11. oman

oman Senior member

haha i went to UNO for one year

you're staying on campus? when you get sick of Pontchartrain, go visit Lake Terrace Gardens, i think the address is 1610 Robert E. Lee Blvd - it's like 5 minutes walking from UNO, and costs one-third of the (absolutely overinflated) cost of living on campus

12. oman

oman Senior member

oh and it's absolutely beautiful, like, it has fantastic french-quarter-style courtyards

edit - and there's girls there too

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

what is the point of this thread?

I opened it thinking 'ahh, some kid is getting his first house, what do I buy in what order'...which is cool, I have suggestions there. Lots of them. Turns out more like 'some kid wants to brag that he ran away from home before college and actually doesn't need shit cos he is sleeping on his friend's sofa, because, ya, that's gonna impress me'....which takes me back to my initial question:

what is the point of this thread?

14. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

I've read stories of people who have lived at the airport for months at a time.

[​IMG]

15. onix

onix Senior member

M@tt is here, this thread is gonna get DT'ed in no time.

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

this is the reputation I have?

Dr. DeeTee?

What has my life come to?

17. rjakapeanut

what is the point of this thread? I opened it thinking 'ahh, some kid is getting his first house, what do I buy in what order'...which is cool, I have suggestions there. Lots of them. Turns out more like 'some kid wants to brag that he ran away from home before college and actually doesn't need shit cos he is sleeping on his friend's sofa, because, ya, that's gonna impress me'....which takes me back to my initial question: what is the point of this thread?
    the point of this thread is pretty much the first thing you mentioned. but not so much "what are things i should have to furnish my shit" and more "from the ground up, what are the greatest essentials" leaving home with nothing but my car, toothbrush, laptop, phone -- and pretty much living around for a few weeks until i get into my dorm. i don't really think anything i've said in this thread really seems like "bragging", but i understand that some of you guys are retarded cynics, so i don't hold that against you. right now i can't carry much around, so what are the most important things? i have to live like a minimalist for a while. once i get in my dorm, what shit will really come in handy? only thing i can think of right now is a mini fridge and microwave. PS: you guys can quit taking the "ran away from home" or "this is just a phase" kind of angle. i have a really dysfunctional home and a family full of drugs, criminals etc. it's very serious. any reasonable person would be looking to get out, i'm just doing it a month or so before my dorm is ready, so now i'm kind of hanging out all around town. you don't have to over-analyze everything.

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

uhh my dorm room had everything cept a microwave...and ya, you did sound like you were bragging, and no, I'm not a retarded cynic, ask around about me [​IMG]

19. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

What are you planning to do inbetween terms? A lot of schools kick you out of the dorms over winter break.

Minifridge and Microwave are good.
    Maybe a hotplate (alot of dorms don't allow these) or one of those electric kettles.
    Some kind of toiletry basket/tray to bring in and out of the shared bathroom with you.
    A robe
    possibly earplugs

20. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

because there is a difference between me paying for a hotel room and my financial aid paying for a dorm room. the dorm room ends up costing about $20 a day. compare that to a hotel room, consider i don't yet have my financial aid money.

if you're not smart enough to understand how "i had to move out of my parents house" and "i dipped" work together then i really don't think i even want to have this conversation with you.

First off, if you're smart are you claim you are, you should have figured out that paying for a hotel room is not the only way to find a place to stay. [​IMG] Check out short-term leases and room rentals on craigslist.

Secondly, I'm sorry if your home situation is unsafe and forced you to leave, I'll take your word for it. But the fact remains that you have posted here several times about how you have your own business and significant savings - the fact remains that you represented that you have no other choice than to live in your car when you can't find friends to crash with, and that is untrue.