• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential shoes

ustudent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to invest in some more shoes and needed some idea.

Both my black chukks and white vans broke and I had to throw them out. Consequently, I have been left with only two shoes. One being Dark blue with white stripes on the sole and two red hooks for the lackes (got them for $20 at H&M). My other pair is a black/white suede chukkas, looks sort of like this: http://bit.ly/nEkmcr

Now my question is. What shoes do you guys think I should get. Should I buy another pair of black chukks and white vans? Should I ditch the white for a pair of brown shoes? Or you guy think a black, white and brown pair are essential.

Besides color, if you guys could suggest some brands, that would also be great!

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chucks and Vans are fine.

For under $100 there are a lot of sneakers that are not necessarily higher quality but more interesting that Chucks and Vans. You can also get some boat shoes or Desert Boots for shoes that are versatile and kind of stylish.

$300+ shoes is where the money is.

ustudent

Reaction score
For dessert boots, I guess it's either Clarks or nothing. Or at least that's the impression i've gotten through this forum. But what would you recommend for boat shoes.

Also, what colors are essential in your opinion?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And FYI there is no such thing as an essential shoe. A pair of black chucks may be essential to some while some may consider white chucks to be the essential shoe canvas sneaker.

dinogj

Reaction score
Ive never worn a pair of chucks, when i put them on I feel like im wearing clown shoes.
Common project white achillies low is the essential.
W+H service boots is a close second

for non baller steez try out white leather superga's

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
A pair of Sperry topsiders and some brown penny loafers. They work excellently in all standard casual venues with the latter being an option in more business-casual areas as well.

HarrisonK

Reaction score

A pair of Sperry topsiders and some brown penny loafers. They work excellently in all standard casual venues with the latter being an option in more business-casual areas as well.

Thats exactly what I was thinking except I'd add a pair of desert boots also. I'd go with navy sperrys ($80), brown penny loafers ($90), and a pair of either oakwood or beeswax desert boots ($100)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads