1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Essential items for the twenty something year old

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Lizen, May 13, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

+1 Only good advice in the thread.

A 20-something year old doesn't need sheeit until he owns his own property that he plans to live in for a long while.

A 20-something year old doesn't need to own property.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Oliver Peoples glasses
    Rolex datejust
    Cartier lighter, 18K
    10 white french cuffed shirts by Brioni, RLPL and Polo
    10 wool suits by Ralph Lauren Polo
    9mm Beretta handgun
    Chrome plated Axe
    Steuben animals
    Baccarat hand-blown crystal tumblers
    Limes, Mini cutting board and a serrated stainless steel knife
    Saratoga Spring water (naturally sparkling)
    S.Pellegrino mineral water
    Very fine Chardonnay for your guests
    Bottega Veneta attache' case
    Nail gun
    A tuxedo
    Honey Almond body scrub
    Zanax

3. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Rolex datejust
    Cartier lighter, 18K
    10 white french cuffed shirts by Brioni, RLPL and Polo
    10 wool suits by Ralph Lauren Polo
    9mm Beretta handgun
    Chrome plated Axe
    Steuben animals
    Baccarat hand-blown crystal tumblers
    Limes, Mini cutting board and a serrated stainless steel knife
    Saratoga Spring water (naturally sparkling)
    S.Pellegrino mineral water
    Very fine Chardonnay for your guests
    Bottega Veneta attache' case
    Nail gun
    A tuxedo
    Honey Almond body scrub
    Zanax

Are these all referenced in the book? Because I dont recognize all these items from the movie.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A charge card at Target
    Single gear bike
    PBR labeled beer cooler
    Couch made from cinder blocks
    iPad, iPhone, iPod
    A copy of Neuromancer
    A strobe light
    Complete DVD collection of The Wire
    Gaming console
    Gaming chairs

5. SkinnyGoomba

Are these all referenced in the book? Because I dont recognize all these items from the movie.

Good eye, yes mostly. I tossed in Saratoga but they might have mentioned it during the competition to name the most bottled waters.

I could add A.Testoni crocodile loafers also [​IMG]

6. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

a girl, or multiple girls. everything else is superfluous.

-Jeff

7. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

* cast iron skillet
    * ikea poang chair and ottoman
    * decent queen-size mattress
    * a car you're not attached to which is easy to get rid of (don't fall for the 20-something trap of letting a cool car suck up half your income)
    * multiple savings and/or checking accounts with ATM access, always have at least $5K in cash available

8. CHenry

CHenry Senior member

A passport.
    A small, high-quality camera.
    A cheap car if you have to have a car.
    A job you can live with but also quit.
    A bicycle.
    One good pair of black leather shoes.
    One dark suit.
    Health insurance.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

-a passport, a credit card, and some sort of mobile computing device, preferably a smartphone plus a laptop
    -a good omelette pan, a dutch oven, a cast iron skillet with a lid, a decent sized cutting board and a 9" chefs knife, a cheese grater, a small and large colander, full service for two
    -a reliable corkscrew, 2 red wine glasses, 2 white wine glasses, 2 champagne flutes, 2 tall juice glasses/highball glasses, 2 shorties, 2 shot glasses
    -eggs, good butter, good salt, good pepper, a small liquor cabinet of at least a clear spirit and a dark spirit, some cold beer, a bottle of red in the pantry, a bottle of white in the fridge, champagne optional. plus a bag of ice.
    -a good looking, clean sofa that comfortably fits three normal people, or two laying down
    -a decent TV and DVD player, doesn't need to be high end, just shouldn't be your laptop jerry rigged to your TV
    -a good queen size mattress and box springs, a couple down pillows, and a down comforter with a plain duvet
    -two full sets of bedding, one to rock, one to stock
    -a decent wristwatch
    -candle(s) - Diptyque Baies Noir for me
    -An interesting reading collection, placed in your main room
    -at least a few interesting DVDs on hand, the well known yet rarely seen type of movies
    -an extra roll of toilet paper in the bathroom in plain sight
    -styptic pen

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

A reliable homie who can and will bail you out of jail if needed!

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

forgot to add:

- towels. hand towels, washcloths, big bath towels, buy from an outlet store or something, and steer clear of the prints, Astro Boy. Re-use these as plumbing rags/car waxing rags as soon as they lose their loft and buoyancy. When your mom sent you to college with new towels, and when you eventually end up married to some hag who insists on getting a bunch of towels, they weren't/aren't kidding. You need towels, they're multi-purpose.

13. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Good eye, yes mostly. I tossed in Saratoga but they might have mentioned it during the competition to name the most bottled waters.

I could add A.Testoni crocodile loafers also [​IMG]

It's one of the few fiction books I'd read. I need to get around to it.

14. SkinnyGoomba

So, Towels I guess?

In a serious addition to this threak:

Buy only white towels/sheets with no pattern. It makes life a lot easier to do one load of laundry at the end of the week for towels/sheets.

Buy enough towels to last one or two weeks, buy a couple sets of sheets as well. If you get busy at work you dont want to run out of daily supplies at home, makes life quite aggravating.

White shirts for work make life easy, since you can pair them with basically everything. Enough for one week minimum, but better if you have enough for two weeks.

Get a bar or yellow natural soap and a scrub brush. Hit your cuffs and collars with that and some hot water prior to washing and you'll always have nice clean collars.

Get a nice steam iron and a good ironing board and you'll save a small fortune over going to the cleaners and paying to have your shirts laundered. Most cleaners do a shit job on the collars/cuffs and actually destroy your shirts in short order. Doing it yourself is cheaper and more effective.

Get the supplies needed to take care of your stuff, that includes shoes, shirts, suits, ect. Clothing brush, shoe brush, shoe pastes/polishes, ect.

15. Lizen

Lizen Well-Known Member

Everything that has been said has been much appreciated. Keep the info coming!

16. kaiserkarl

kaiserkarl Senior member

i'd like to ad a bialletti if possible and a good suitcase.

try to buy your first real art piece.

and lots of books.

17. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Interesting topic for a thread. Here are some things that were moderate expenditures from which I got a lot of use in my 20s:

• Custom shirts in conservative business styles (light blue, white, subdued stripes and checks)
    • Quality dress shoes
    • Good headphones, especially for business travel and work in noisy offices
    • An old BMW 3-series. It cost little to buy, little to maintain, and was a fun and distinctive car to drive up until I sold it, and not without subsequent regrets.
    • A Valentine1 radar detector for the above. YMMV, of course.
    • Luggage and laptop bags, especially if you travel a lot. It's way better to get some good stuff early on then drag that cheap rollerboard with the busted handle on every flight you take in your 20s.
    • A decent queen-size mattress.
    • A 401k/IRA opened at the earliest possible time and contributed to every year.
    • SkinnyGoomba's suggestions of quality clothing care implements are good. A Kent clothing brush is one of the best purchases I made. You don't want to get quality clothes and shoes and then get less wear from them than you could because you skimped on a $4 tin of shoe polish.
    • kaiserkarl's suggestion of a Bialetti if you drink coffee is excellent.
    Some things from which I would have received good use had I known to purchase them:
    • Quality suits in staple colors such as navy and gray. All my stuff then was crap.
    • Sheets and linens in neutral colors. An eventual SO will impact your choices of such interior design elements, but if you have them in neutral colors, they should still work.
    Some things that I did buy that were wastes:
    • Custom shirts in non-conservative business styles. Those ended up in the back of my closet.
    • Books that I will read only once. I try to buy only books that I will read multiple times. Libraries are for one-read books.
    Some things that may or may not be good ideas:
    • Furniture. Both your evolving tastes and an eventual SO will influence your future decor choices, so you may not want to invest in expensive pieces early on.
    • A nice wallet. I had one but I decided I prefer a money clip so now it sits in a desk drawer.
    • Nice wine glasses. Between drunk friends and moving every 18 months, they will get broken.
    • Lots of bespoke. Even if you can afford it, your tastes and your body shape are likely to change. Pace yourself so you don't end up with a closet full of expensive stuff that you loved at 23 and hated at 28.

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Interesting topic for a thread. Here are some things that were moderate expenditures from which I got a lot of use in my 20s:

- Custom shirts in conservative business styles (light blue, white, subdued stripes and checks)
    - Quality dress shoes
    - Good headphones, especially for business travel and work in noisy offices
    - An old BMW 3-series. It cost little to buy, little to maintain, and was a fun and distinctive car to drive up until I sold it, and not without subsequent regrets.
    - A Valentine1 radar detector for the above. YMMV, of course.
    - Luggage and laptop bags, especially if you travel a lot. It's way better to get some good stuff early on then drag that cheap rollerboard with the busted handle on every flight you take in your 20s.
    - A decent queen-size mattress.
    - A 401k/IRA opened at the earliest possible time and contributed to every year.
    - SkinnyGoomba's suggestions of quality clothing care implements are good. A Kent clothing brush is one of the best purchases I made. You don't want to get quality clothes and shoes and then get less wear from them than you could because you skimped on a $4 tin of shoe polish.
    - kaiserkarl's suggestion of a Bialetti if you drink coffee is excellent.

Some things from which I would have received good use had I known to purchase them:
    - Quality suits in staple colors such as navy and gray. All my stuff then was crap.
    - Sheets and linens in neutral colors. An eventual SO will impact your choices of such interior design elements, but if you have them in neutral colors, they should still work.

Some things that I did buy that were wastes:
    - Custom shirts in non-conservative business styles. Those ended up in the back of my closet.
    - Books that I will read only once. I try to buy only books that I will read multiple times. Libraries are for one-read books.

Some things that may or may not be good ideas:
    - Furniture. Both your evolving tastes and an eventual SO will influence your future decor choices, so you may not want to invest in expensive pieces early on.
    - A nice wallet. I had one but I decided I prefer a money clip so now it sits in a desk drawer.
    - Nice wine glasses. Between drunk friends and moving every 18 months, they will get broken.
    - Lots of bespoke. Even if you can afford it, your tastes and your body shape are likely to change. Pace yourself so you don't end up with a closet full of expensive stuff that you loved at 23 and hated at 28.

Furniture. Get cheap shit from ikea until you're really settled. i didn't and I regret it.

I still love all the stuff I bought, but +1 on the body shape, unless you're willing to work to maintain what you were. I discovered SF early though so I didn't make the horrendous mistakes a lot of young people make, with the exception of some Armani shit very early on.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Nothing aside from a bed, a laptop, a cellphone, a few article of clothing and maybe some decent luggage. Sincerely...

20. jesask

jesask Senior member

I am going to second the advice not to bother with nice furniture. At your age your friends won't care.

Otherwise, I am with Fuuma.