• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Health insurance: Most frequent cause of bankruptcy for US households. This usually happens to middle-aged and elderly people, but one bad stroke of luck can really hamstring an early career.

2) Education/Job Skill: Try to find something you really enjoy. The earlier the better. Education is incredibly expensive and most jobs reward experience.

3) Decent Chef's/paring knife and cookware: Learn to cook. It's a valuable skill. Women love it, and its much cheaper/healthier than buying takeout all the time.

4) Neutral sheets: White or off-white. White are the easiest to wash and bleach. They match almost any other bedding.

5) Credit card: Build credit--pay it off each month. I've had a credit card since 16 and have never missed a payment. If you ever decide to apply for a mortgage or lease a car, having a credit history is a savior.

6) Brokerage Account/IRA: Also yourself to trade in the market. Trade with frequency. Once you realize the impossiblity of timing or beating the market, picking a few choice index funds with regular contributions is much easier on psyche and balance sheet.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant

6) Brokerage Account/IRA: Also yourself to trade in the market. Trade with frequency. Once you realize the impossiblity of timing or beating the market, picking a few choice index funds with regular contributions is much easier on psyche and balance sheet.

[ ] Having an edge in the market is an impossibility

derekzee

Reaction score
vitamins, supplements, anti aging creams, gym membership, whatever. point is maintain yourself well enough so as not to become a fat man with a goatee.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen only three good suggestions in this thread:

1) A bike
2) A passport
3) Precision screwdrivers

robbz9206

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Instruments.

High-end earphones.

A good bicycle.

Female friends.

A positive and constructive social circle.

A good relationship with mother and father.

i wish i could have had al these things - my family is terrible. my parents are such idiots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads