• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire's tuxedo style

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell to the no!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if it's a black tie hosted by Reevolving.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Only if it's a black tie hosted by Reevolving.

Just make sure you don't wear a clean shirt--you won't fit in. People may ask what that strange smell is (it is soap).

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with all of the above responses. It is an option, just not a very good one. It looks like something a guy might wear if he didn't really understand black tie, maybe only goes out once a year or something. The one thing I vehemently disagree with is the label "Daredevil option". Hardly.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, if you read the details, it isn't black tie and it isn't meant to be. It's an evening suit, but not formal wear. I think what they are proposing is a less formal alternative to black tie. That said I don't like the suit very much, but I'm pretty old. The first three black tie alternatives are actually pretty good (not a notch lapel in sight). The grey one is
crazy.gif
and the suit alternative here is too hipster for my tastes. That said, it's not black tie and they don't mean for it to be.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
First, if you read the details, it isn't black tie and it isn't meant to be. It's an evening suit, but not formal wear. I think what they are proposing is a less formal alternative to black tie. That said I don't like the suit very much, but I'm pretty old. The first three black tie alternatives are actually pretty good (not a notch lapel in sight). The grey one is
crazy.gif
and the suit alternative here is too hipster for my tastes. That said, it's not black tie and they don't mean for it to be.

My reaction as well. Honestly, in my part of the country, anyway, an evening suit--although not necessarily that one--seems like a more sensible alternative to black tie, which you will almost never have occasion to wear unless you are invited to the Oscars.

At the few dressy events I have attended in recent years, I would have looked like a conspicuous fool in proper black tie regalia, but a nice evening suit was just about perfect.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Black tie or not it's ******* atrocious!

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
crazy.gif

Well, I'll have to disagree. It's formal wear alright. They say you should wear it with full dress shirt(with studs), black bow tie and cummerbund and patent leather oxfords. So it's meant to be black tie, otherwise I would have nothing against an evening suit with a plain white shirt and a tie.
Indeed, the first three options look great, especially the Brioni DJ.
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
Button down shirt?! WTF???!!!

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/styl...les#/category2

Saw that one too... it's their way of messing with the rules I guess... ruby studs would have been better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads