1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joffrey, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

2. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

Pure entertainment. I should be spending a lot more than I am, I wonder if I can sell this to the wife....

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Is that supposed to be your annual suit budget? Doesn't seem unreasonable.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Not a lot of substance there.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I appreciate what they are trying to do, but the jumps in pricepoints really don't match the salaries. $70K and $100K jobs are okay, but that type of salary doesn't actually go very far, especially not in places where there are jobs that require suits of any caliber. I think that the writers are forgetting that the basic costs of living are not that much different between someone making $100 and $150K, and so that that additional $50K makes a world of difference. Of course, anyone who has seen their income increase steadily can confirm that in general, you spend according to what you make.

6. LA Guy

It would be great if you did this and report back.

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

As much as I would love to subscribe to this list, it operates in a vacuum. If you have kids, a mortgage, and student loans, then a vast majority of Americans probably have different priorities. And the level of attire you need is different from LA to Louisville to Charlotte to Cincy to DC.

What would be an interesting follow-up would be to do a massive poll to ask people what they actually spend on a suit on average, presenting the answers both geographically and by loose industry (a businessman in NYC spends $ABC while a businessman in the southwest spends $XYX, or a doctor in the southeast spends $G and a doctor in the midwest spends $H). I don't think many would argue that the average price would be much much lower than what you see in the article.

However, I do commend Esquire for satisfying their advertisers by pointing people very quickly to the opening price point of most of their featured suits. Gotta keep those ad dollars rolling in.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The 30k salary guide is a joke. A $400 briefcase that costs almost as much as the suit is way out-of-line, especially considering it is the most expensive briefcase sub-100k.

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The Attolini is nice!

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

lol that is a lot of bs.

11. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

It's an entertaining read. Entirely out of touch with reality and the brands they push are so often junk and the shirt and tie for $250k are hideous.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have to wonder how many guys making $30K or less buy suits, period, much less are constrained to wear them by business necessity.

13. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Thank God for Esquire! I have been misguided for so long but now I have direction.

14. LA Guy

To be fair, it was an entertaining read, which was all that it was meant to be, and Esquire has been doing a much better job than GQ lately (which is not saying much).

After grad school, I needed them for interviews. Also, maybe, salesmen, door-to-door and otherwise?

15. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

What nonsense! They just put numbers together, I could have done that within 30 mins.

Honestly, are we surprised though?

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think it only took the pro's at Esquire 15 minutes to come up with that advice. Keep practicing to get your time down and maybe there is a job at Esquire in your future.

1 person likes this.
  17. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

You can make damn good money and still be broke [​IMG]

18. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Seriously... apparently I am running a serious deficit of $3,000 suits.

Edit: Apparently I owe myself a bunch of even more expensive suits... I didn't read past the ad that popped up after 150k!

19. rob

rob Senior member

Well, I have to admit I endorse the article, only because it is the only written source I've seen that says I am not overspending for suits. Indeed - better yet - I may be actually be underspending. Surprised the clothing obsessed such as myself wouldn't be more welcoming to articles such as this.

Rob, whose frivolity if not vanity may now be justified

20. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

Okay wait guys, I've really been struggling to understand this but I think I finally get it.

Is Esquire trying to say that if you make MORE money, you consequently have MORE money to spend on stuff you like?