• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire September 2006

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts?
style_15.jpg
style_16.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Thoughts?

style_15.jpg
style_16.jpg

I like the first outfit. I probably would not wear it myself (not a fan of the tie & dress shirt & jeans thing (well, maybe unless it is almost completely hidden by the jumper).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That first one is bad. The jeans look w/tie, or jeans and blazer is starting to feel really dated. Chino's are the wave of the future... I like the second look.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute; is that a cardigan on the first one? Damn it. I HATE cardigans. Pity because I like the colours. WOuld have preferred light corduroy trousers myself but there you have it.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them both. With the second, I'd probably go a couple of shades lighter on the shirt though.

God, I'm ready for fall. Pretty trees, crisp air, and much more interesting dressing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mike C. abou the first look, but I don't like the second look either. I find the outfit undersaturated in color, and lacking in visual interest. Either they have to throw in more contrasting colors or a clashing color in there (the orange/red sweater is not striking enough to really be the accent piece), or it needs a pattern. I would for both.

Substitute a chocolate sportcoat with a windowpane pattern, and switch out the sweater with a burnt orange one, and you get a much better (and more seasonal) look, imo.

I personally don't like chinos - have worn jeans since HS, and plan to keep doing so, but I would wear a pair of surplus pants.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like the one on the right but I would do dressier shoes and trousers. Not sure about the left.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Like both the coats. It would be nice if we could see more detail of the sweaters and pants though.

Don't like jeans with tie either. I am a big fan of cardigans however.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the one on the left alot. I think thats a vest not a cardigan

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't like the tie on the left one, and I'd prefer a different shirt on the right, perhaps a check.

Um, the shirt was the point, I think... I was trying to work with that hard constraint. That said, I agree that the shirt is not that great.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The left outfit looks good, it all comes together well and I can see someone rocking that perfectly. As with any kind of good dressing, the *right* jeans with *right* jacket looks awesome. But mostly you see uninspired jeans paired with an uninspired jacket, and the result is a look that is tired.

The right outfit is dullsville, but I like its jacket. Chinos are just terrible. The distaste AAACers feel about jeans is how I feel towards chinos/khakis.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Chino's are the wave of the future... I like the second look.

Technically speaking, chinos are a wave of the past.

At any rate, neither look is particularly memorable though the jeans with tie look should die already so we can live in peace.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
That first one is bad. The jeans look w/tie, or jeans and blazer is starting to feel really dated. Chino's are the wave of the future... I like the second look.

I think that woven ties can work well with jacket and jeans. I think the flat bottom woven ties are making a come back and are casual enough to look appropriate with jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads