• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire Best Dressed (?)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be funny if each region chose a different current fashion victim stereotype as its respective representative. Atlanta has the Andre 3000 clone; New York could send an anemic Hedi Slimane wannabe with spiked up hair, a too tight black suit, and unfolded French cuffs over his fingers; L.A. could sport an 18 year old Nudie fanboy in soiled and unwashed-for-10-months jeans with a comical cuffs rolled up all the way past his shins look; and Boston could trot out a frat boy parody in madras pants, boat shoes, and two popped collar hot pink Lacoste polos. Wouldn't that be fun to watch?

That I would watch. Of course, that would be the youth segment. The "masters" segment would consist of... From LA, a guy with a George Hamilton tan wearing a white linen suit and a peach Johnny collar shirt that Borrelli sealed its deal to the deal with, with a tan belt and loafers. From NYC, a very constipated looking I-banker type doing his best Matt Lauer imitation and wearing all bespoke in whatever was in fashion at the time (whether it be Neapolitan, Roman or English silhouette) except for his belt, which would be a crocodile belt, also from Borrelli, and Florida would have a guy dressed head to toe in Brioni sport (it's uniformly hideous stuff.) Boston would have a guy in a sack suit with with a white shirt and a rep tie and loafers (for that old money insouciance.)

BTW, pretty much anyone living in Silver Lake/Echo Park could've given this guy a run for his money too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... more than a few nattily-attired gentlemen rushed the judges' table to exchange a few choice words afterwards. "This is a travesty," said the 46-year-old local custom clothiere, Leonard Gresham. He entered in a head-to-toe, country-clubby ensemble by Ralph Lauren. "To me, this was all about hip-hop and youth; not the best representation of Atlanta and the men who make the extra effort to dress well."

Of course, this is just sad. A grown man, railing that youth and hiphop are ruining the sartorial world. Storming the judges table indeed.

ATM

Reaction score
How can you judge best dressed based on one outfit?

Silly.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... more than a few nattily-attired gentlemen rushed the judges' table to exchange a few choice words afterwards. "This is a travesty," said the 46-year-old local custom clothiere, Leonard Gresham. He entered in a head-to-toe, country-clubby ensemble by Ralph Lauren. "To me, this was all about hip-hop and youth; not the best representation of Atlanta and the men who make the extra effort to dress well."
Of course, this is just sad. Â A grown man, railing that youth and hiphop are ruining the sartorial world. Â Storming the judges table indeed.
LOL. Â The horde of angry Trad-heads and stockbroker AJs bum-rushing the judges' table must have been quite a sight to see. Â As "American Idol" has taught us, it is much preferable to accept the judges' decision and keep your dignity intact.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe the swimsuit and talent competitions were held the previous night.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haha, popped collar. I think someone took a picture of me doing that while drunk, which, trust me, is the only way I'll do the popped collar. Now I must hunt down that photo and destroy the evidence.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. When I first heard about the contest in passing, I assumed the magazine would ask competitors to send in a parcel of photos representing at least a few different outfits.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, international piano competitions are even more egregious in their judgements.

koji

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, international piano competitions are even more egregious in their judgements.

koji
But you still pop your collar for extra points, right?

Eric

Reaction score
Man you guys are a tough crowd, jeez, looks like something I would wear minus the popped collar.

By the way is that Fred from P. Diddy's Making the Band 2?

"Ness you just gonna sit there doing your taxes? Is that what going on in the street?"

Eric

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, this is just sad. A grown man, railing that youth and hiphop are ruining the sartorial world. Storming the judges table indeed.
Yeah. Being a sore loser with all the vitality of a corpse is stylish as hell.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Wow, that guy looks like a giant douche in a costume. Edit #1: look at the qualifications of the judges: a former pro athlete, a pair of nightclub owners, and a midlevel department store buyer. Â What a joke. Edit #2: It could be worse, but his silly hairstyle, popped collar, and pretentious "I'm an artiste..." expression are the nail in the coffin for me.
esquireguy6pe.jpg
Damn - you guys don't like this? - this is the way I dress for work everyday... Panzer

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent (or maybe wasted) last evening at the Esquire best dressed contest in Atlanta...I admit I was taken by surprise, I really expected to see a better turnout of people who dress well. Â There were a small handful who looked good whether with classic or individual looks, but mostly it was comical. Â I left dumbfounded that I didn't get selected for the top 10 in my Martin Greenfield suit, but after seeing the eventual winner in the paper this morning it was clear that a classic look is not exactly what they were going after. Â A few excerpts of the article in the Atlanta Journal are below - you'll have to log on to the site to the see the picture. Â Not sure if this speaks more to Atlanta's or Esquire's general lack of taste; will be interesting to see what comes out of the other cities. _ http://www.ajc.com/living/content/li...2esqubuzz.html The winner of the Atlanta phase of Esquire's 10-city quest to find "The Best-Dressed Real Man in America" doesn't live anywhere near here. Rashim Turner, a 26-year-old designer/hairstylist from Riverside, Calif., walked away from Wednesday night's preliminary contest at Lenox Square's Macy's with the honor of representing Atlanta, leaving many contestants and onlookers astonished at the judges' choice. Turner arrived dressed in a look that he termed, "thrift...obviously," in stark contrast to the majority of contestants who wore trendy designer suits, shirts, ties and shoes. The winner's outfit was composed of a brown-and-beige blazer, vest, shirt and slacks ensemble that could be charitably described as "vintage." The piece de resistance of his outfit: a two-toned pair of Reebok golf shoes with the spikes removed. The ultimate winner will be profiled in Esquire magazine and announced on NBC's "Today Show" in early autumn. The Atlanta stage's judges included Esquire senior fashion editor, Wendell Brown; Atlanta Hawks forward and menswear designer, Kevin Willis; Macy's menswear buyer, Stephen Rector; and the co-owners of the Bazzaar lounge in Midtown, Bill Kaelin and Lamia Maccarrone. ... more than a few nattily-attired gentlemen rushed the judges' table to exchange a few choice words afterwards. "This is a travesty," said the 46-year-old local custom clothiere, Leonard Gresham. He entered in a head-to-toe, country-clubby ensemble by Ralph Lauren. "To me, this was all about hip-hop and youth; not the best representation of Atlanta and the men who make the extra effort to dress well."
Are you black ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads