• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Espresso Maker

Biscione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I thrive on fetishism, commodity or otherwise.

Hear hear.

After growing up with so much (beautiful) clutter I love living in a very pure, sparse place, where the few objects that require necessary exposure are as much chosen for their looks as they are for their performance.

I can't conceive of owning many of the coffee machines that have been posted in this thread. I'd always turn to a high-quality Italian brand, of which Rocket is a good example.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
My Gaggia Classic is on the fritzl.
frown.gif

Are there other Gaggia Classic owners here? I'm finding that the only preground coffee I can buy is Illy as everything else isn't ground fine enough. When I buy beans, even grinding them to Turkish coffee fineness isn't enough -- I end up having to regrind and tamp really hard in order for the espresso to brew adequately. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think I'm getting a Nespresso this week, the Latissima. It might be like the non-iron shirt of espresso, but I had one at the store/cafe on Madison the other day and it was pretty good, and incredibly convenient.

I have no interest in getting one of these things, but I agree; the product they serve at the shop on Madison is very good. Look into the small cup coffees they serve there as well - those were really good.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Are there other Gaggia Classic owners here? I'm finding that the only preground coffee I can buy is Illy as everything else isn't ground fine enough. When I buy beans, even grinding them to Turkish coffee fineness isn't enough -- I end up having to regrind and tamp really hard in order for the espresso to brew adequately. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

Are you sure it's the grind and not your machine's pump?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Are you sure it's the grind and not your machine's pump?

I think it's always been this way. Are you saying the pump is too strong?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think I'm getting a Nespresso this week, the Latissima. It might be like the non-iron shirt of espresso, but I had one at the store/cafe on Madison the other day and it was pretty good, and incredibly convenient.

I've used Nespresso for at least 12 or 13 years now and I chuckle (internally) when I visit friends with more "prestigious" equipment, who grind their own coffee and serve me a result that is significantly inferior to the N espresso.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Nespresso equipment or system itself either - great, durable machines, great quality beans. If that makes you feel better, Corton, a 2 Michelin star restaurant, serves only Nespresso at the end of meals.

This is not the equivalent of the non-iron shirt at all. It's a perfect example of OTT snubbism that's disconnected from the reality of the product's quality.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've used Nespresso for at least 12 or 13 years now and I chuckle (internally) when I visit friends with more "prestigious" equipment, who grind their own coffee and serve me a result that is significantly inferior to the N espresso.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Nespresso equipment or system itself either - great, durable machines, great quality beans. If that makes you feel better, Corton, a 2 Michelin star restaurant, serves only Nespresso at the end of meals.

This is not the equivalent of the non-iron shirt at all. It's a perfect example of OTT snubbism that's disconnected from the reality of the product's quality.

I second that, I also have been using a Nespresso machine for a while, Its fast, easy, and makes consistently good coffee.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Don't ever tell my wife this. She already hates the loud, messy, splashy Gaggia as it is.

So you're saying prestigious coffee equipment is the espresso equivalent of a bespoke Charvet shirt?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Don't ever tell my wife this. She already hates the loud, messy, splashy Gaggia as it is.

So you're saying prestigious coffee equipment is the espresso equivalent of a bespoke Charvet shirt?

Maybe a Borrelli MTM shirt?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
my machine can accomodate both fresh beans and the ESE pods. The pods are so much easier to deal with, are much more consistent, and don't cause the same mess that I inevitably create with the grinder and tamper.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confused.gif
for you Nesspresso guys & gals: how does it compare to the illy system (francis!francis!, I think). Our machine's steamer has crapped out & seems to be headed downhill....

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
confused.gif
for you Nesspresso guys & gals: how does it compare to the illy system (francis!francis!, I think). Our machine's steamer has crapped out & seems to be headed downhill....

There are more flavors for the Nespresso system and I think the machines are better. Also, Nespresso has great customer service.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
There are more flavors for the Nespresso system and I think the machines are better. Also, Nespresso has great customer service.

thnx - by 'flavors', do you mean different types/roasts of coffee, or vanilla hazlenit creme & such?
confused.gif

what is the model to choose?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads