• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esk Cashmere, Knitwear from Scotland

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start the conversation about Esk Cashmere knitwear, which hails from Scotland, land of hardy woolen wear. Esk is no exception. Although, it seems to be the luxurious counterpart to Inverallan and Inis Meain. Esk's fibers are largely pure cashmere, but also include extrafine merino (sometimes mixed with cashmere), Egyptian cotton, camel hair, and occasionally Shetland wool. All knits are fully fashioned, and constructed in their own factory.

Here are a couple good interviews with Stuart Maxwell & Lorraine Acornley:​

Aside from their online shop, I've only seen men's Esk carried at Matches Fashion, and a few bits at Kafka and Monocle. I don't know how much they produce for other labels, but I am fairly certain that they made the three Nigel Cabourn knits that I own.

Their women's and home lines are as equally luxurious;

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, this Esk Ben cardigan is a thing of beauty. The camel hair is like a softer, heartier version of merino.

Turned horn buttons

The right forearm has a thicker contrast stitch.

Hidden inside pocket.

Nice, comfortable fit. Sizing seems true- I went with medium, my usual in almost everything else.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks very much like the Cabourn knits

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the knitted waiscoats that I have from a couple years ago have the same curled pocket edges.

Volls has a bunch of XLs at half off in their outlet shop. How a medium lasted long enough for me to order it yesterday, I'll never know. I'll post up a review once it arrives.

Last edited:

WSJ1

Reaction score
Looks like they have some nice stuff! I might try out one of their hats.

cessitfoivi

Reaction score
good,the knitted waiscoats that I have from a couple years ago have the same curled pocket edges.
13.gif

Last edited:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Z, you are like the king a knits. Please keep us posted when you get it.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it only took about a month to arrive from Germany, but my James crew finally showed up. It's another wonderful knit from Esk. The 70% extrafine merino/30%cashmere blend is luxurious. The fit is great as well, with just the right amount of slouch. One thing that struck me was how heavy gauge the knit is. I expect to get a lot of wear out of it this winter.

If it's good enough for David Beckham, then it's good enough for me.

Now, just waiting patiently for AW14 to make an appearance...

Last edited:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how does it compare to inis?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my several Inis Meain knits, but Esk is on a totally different level. IM has issues with inconsistent fits for me, although it seems they've largely ironed them out by now. IM's traditional knits are great, although it seems they just keep putting out the same thing for the most part. Most of the new knits they're doing are quickly approaching biz cas Dad Style, in my opinion. There are also some quirky issues like the pirate shirt shoulders.

Esk, on the other hand, uses some rather amazing yarns and the cuts and construction are superb. I was surprised that the James crew is so solid (i.e., doesn't seem to stretch) despite being a looser gauge knit with chunky yarn. I can also see how each component of my knits was fully fashioned and hand linked. Their lines of classic knits and seasonal knits are a nice combination, I think. I've yet to fork out $600+ for one of their pure cashmere knits, but I'd be willing to bet that they're nice.

Part of the influence for me at this point is degree of market saturation. Inis Meain is becoming ubiquitous, and I'll happily pick up a gansey off East Dane for 75% off. But, it's not going to amaze me anymore. Esk, however, is creating something new that isn't popular yet. Some shops are willing to stock them, but they are unknown enough that I was able to find a couple of pieces in medium to give the brand a try. I'm looking forward to seeing more from them.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

capnMURPHY2021

Reaction score
The Ben cardigan looks great. Not feeling the Mackenzie, wonder if they'll come out with a shawl cardigan like the one from Drake's.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ManofKent Kafka still has some Matthew waistcoats in their sale store if you are interested.

@capnMURPHY2021 I have the Ben from last FW, and it's great. You should look to Scott & Charters for a cardigan like the one you linked. They're fairly reasonably priced. I'm regretting not getting one last year, but NMWA should be restocking.

I just noticed that they are now selling accessories through their site.

Last edited:

EvanM

Reaction score
In case anyone else is curious, the prices listed on the Esk Cashmere website are before VAT, so there won't be a 20% "discount" for buying internationally.
I love the knits... I guess it'll be something to consider if the Canada-EU free trade deal ever gets ratified.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads