eShave on Gilt

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by FlaneurNYC, Aug 22, 2012.

1. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

That's what I'm looking forward to. I'm using The Art of Shaving Lavender cream now and it runs circles around the stuff I was using before. I've read good things about eShave and remember my dad using a brush (and a cup) my whole life. I thought it was a relic, but now I'm excited to try it.

I'll check them out, Thomas. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

JM, I'm shocked that you only get two shaves out of a blade. Now, I don't have that heavy a beard and I only shave once every two days, but I have been using the same razor blade since late April. Now that's at the opposite extreme but just two shaves seems to be inefficient - and maybe not by you but by the makers of the blades you use.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Isn't it nice to find something new that makes your life much easier or more pleasurable? For me it was first shaving in the shower because I got to stay in the shower longer and my beard got that much softer. Then it was pre-shave oil, which I like to concoct my own with olive oil, grapeseed oil, and different essential oils. Next it was Lucky Tiger Shave Cream, which made the canned stuff feel like I was plowing through powder. Last, it was Trumper's Shave Soap with a brush. The whole process doesn't take that much longer than if I was just standing out at the sink using a aerosol can and a razor but the pleasure and results are disproportionately much, much higher.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

True, all blades differ, but even on one pass I only get 2-3 shaves tops. Of course, I'm part badger.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I average two, but sometimes do three. No reason for this other then when I first got into shaving this way I read somewhere online that it's best to trade them out every couple shaves. Since the things are so damn cheap, it didn't seem like a big deal. I'll try experimenting and go longer between changing them out.

I have no idea how you have been using the same blade since April. How's the thing even remotely sharp anymore?

6. Jr Mouse

Was using Feather for a while, but switched to Derby because they are cheaper and I wanted to see if I noticed a difference. I will probably go back to Feather once my supply runs out or try something else.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I've been liking this pack of Gilette 8 o'clock blades. Feather's have never worked out for me.

8. Jr Mouse

Feather's too aggressive for you?

I'll try the 8 o'clocks next.

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Ah, my life recently. Know just about everything about shaving these days lol thanks to posting a lot and reading on badger and blade. I have settled on the most aggressive razor (Muhle R41) and the sharpest blade (Feather). A great combination for me.

If you want to purchase Feather blades there is a guy who sells them $29 shipped for 100 blades. You bet I only use them two times at that price. I like knowing I have a fresh blade every time.

Recently am in love with Mike's Natural Soaps, an artisan maker that sells a top quality product. But yeah shave soaps are the only AD I have now. Though badger and blade opened me up to a lot of other things: quality body soap, all natural face wash, Kent comb, crystal deodorant, natural toothpaste...list goes on.

JM and Rambo which razors are you using? I only have liked the Gillette blue 7 o'clock out of them. I have tried yellow, green as well but blue were better for my face. I've heard good things about the black as well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I end up going very slowly with my swipes in the direction of my hair, then I squeeze the lather out of the brush and smear it on my face and then go slowly in the opposite direction - against the grain and against what everyone says not to do because of the ingrown hair issue with going against the direction of the hair angle exiting the skin. When the blade is old like that it's all about going slowly.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Not necessarily. I just never get a smooth, bump free shave with them. Tried them several times. I always end up with one problem or another.

my razor: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE89L-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Lined-Chrome_p_726.html

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

I only ever get 1 shave out of my blades. Then again im using poverty derby blades and let my beard grow pretty thick before i shave. Wasn't aware different razors were more aggressive, assumed they were all the same.

13. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

It's been an eye opener for sure. I used to dread shaving until I realized that you really don't need to suffer cuts and abrasion. Who knew?

14. Jr Mouse

Thomas, you and Clarksdb seem a lot more into it then I am. Didn't even realize razor/shaving AD was a thing. :)

I have one safety razor that I got off Amazon. Forget the specific model, but it's a Merkur. Works well for me, but the damn thing is starting to get tarnished. Need to figure out the best way to clean it up and make it look nice again. My brush is kind of pathetic. It's a small one I got in a sample pack from Art of Shaving and I would like to find a larger one of higher quality at some point soon. Recommendations here would be appreciated.

In terms of soaps, I have been trying a few different brands. Nothing has blown me away and I am interested to try out the one Thomas recommended next. Was using pre-shave oil for a while, but got out of it. Honestly, never noticed a huge difference with the stuff.

Thomas, you use a straight razor? That shit scares me. I know people say they are safe, but I just have this mental image of sneezing while shaving and cutting my throat open. :embar:

15. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

IDK how this stuff would work on a razor, but it's been the chit when I've bought tarnished (even slightly rusted) vintage furniture and lamps:

http://www.flitz-polish.com/index.php?page=Product.Product&externalId=541