• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Escorial - Is it the best?

Trent Aldonado

Reaction score
After reading a link posted on this site, I have become interested in Escorial wool. Is it as good as super 150 or 180? All in all, is it some of the best wool around and why, or why not?

JamesT

Reaction score
From what I know regarding Escorial is that it is better than the 180s stuff because it is tougher. I also know Chris Despos seems to favour it over most other wools (in regards to tailoring it).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Escorial is about 180s diameter (I think). But it is a loooooong fiber, has great spring, superior crimp, and takes dye extremely well. For all those reasons, it is "superior" to the average Super.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soft as high Supers but much more durable is how it has been described to me.
( and priced accordingly)
eek.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much would, let's say, a brioni escorial wool overcoat cost?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
how much would, let's say, a brioni escorial wool overcoat cost?

Can't say. I've never looked into it as RTW. It's among the priciest cloth at my tailor's though. H&S Escorial is more than H&S 180's ( Several hundred $/yd. IIRC)

HitMan009

Reaction score
Does anyone have clothes made from escorial? If so, can someone compare it other wools? Is it really that special as it's made out to be?

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Does anyone have clothes made from escorial? If so, can someone compare it other wools? Is it really that special as it's made out to be?

There was a Brioni escorial sportcoat on sale in B&S a month ago. If I didn't already have a navy sportcoat, I would have jumped on it. Maybe the seller and/or buyer can enlighten you.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009

I have a Brioni suit made of Escorial wool. The hand is not as soft as cashmere or Zegna's 15 milmil 15. It feels springy, but that may be due to the weave. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't winkle much.

Tony13

Reaction score
your wrong, see even amongst escorial wools there are all kinds of escorial wools, but regardless of what type (even among escorials there are softer, thicker or lighter) escorial wools are among the finest, way more than any under 2k suits like zegna or any other. if you check a zegna suit around 10 years ago, a 2000 zegna, its way nothing compared to an even a 1985 brioni escorial suit
tongue.gif
no joke son. Go to a brioni store now and check a brand new escorial suit? ull piss your pants right there xD there's just no comparison, but u gotta pay the full price or steal it? or maybe wait till 5 years till they get reduced price
tongue.gif
cause zegna and others just have apparently "soft" fabrics? nothing special ya soft to the common eye, but just soft. escorial is simple 1 of the best fabrics.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony13
your wrong, see even amongst escorial wools there are all kinds of escorial wools, but regardless of what type (even among escorials there are softer, thicker or lighter) escorial wools are among the finest, way more than any under 2k suits like zegna or any other. if you check a zegna suit around 10 years ago, a 2000 zegna, its way nothing compared to an even a 1985 brioni escorial suit
tongue.gif
no joke son. Go to a brioni store now and check a brand new escorial suit? ull piss your pants right there xD there's just no comparison, but u gotta pay the full price or steal it? or maybe wait till 5 years till they get reduced price
tongue.gif
cause zegna and others just have apparently "soft" fabrics? nothing special ya soft to the common eye, but just soft. escorial is simple 1 of the best fabrics.

I think I understand what you wrote. But did you understand what I wrote?
facepalm.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
I think I understand what you wrote. But did you understand what I wrote?
facepalm.gif

Have you considered a career in deciphering tribal languages?

Tony13

Reaction score
Ya i did understood what u meant, i have like 15 + brioni's? i can truly tell you the difference between fabrics of any other brand in comparison with a Brioni as well amongst brioni's. Theres definitely a difference between a just "wool", super 120, 150, 180, cashmere or pure escorial. If you looking for softness go try a pure cashmere, or a super 150's flannel fabric... Way softer, & finer, period. Regular wools or 120's are just bit more flexible looking fabrics, nothing much special about them, but real lightweight. But if you are looking for finer fabric, yes not as "soft - feeling" but real "finer looking" & a "finer quality fabric" a super 180's fabric its real the deal, and how about a pure escorial? well again, super 180's fabrics are not really the most softer fabrics in the world, and pure escorial is not the exception however, just to begin with the way a pure escorial wool is intertwined? is like comparing a damn Rolls Royce with a BMW. super 180's are pretty much the highest quality of how the wool is treated and intertwined. But a pure escorial has way more artisan craftsmanship above most wools you've heard even super 180's. Is not about touching something with your hand? is about "feeling it" when you wear it, you totally feel the difference, and yes again because the fabrics are way finer being wrinkle-free is one attribute that pure escorial has. I have 3 escorial sport coats and 1 escorial dress pants? I tell ya, those dress pants? are my favorite, "0" wrinkles, and son, i had them 18 years ago, you think Zegna, or any other brand had come up with the fines of making dress pants that dont go wrinkled without being polyester or any other cheap fabric mix now you find for 20 bucks on any apparel store? 18 years ago? son, wrinkled free began like 6 years ago?, brioni's been making wrinkled-free unintentionally without really noticing more than 20 years ago "now the call it wrinkled free? which is a mixed of cotton & cheap wool? Go on ebay and check up escorial wools by brioni, you can really tell the difference if you have keen eye
wink.gif
its really worth it you can hit up a nice deal
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads