1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ernest, i have a possible business idea

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Mar 3, 2005.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

ernest,

You've contributed so much to this forum, that its only fair that I reciprocate. In some of your posts, you've alluded to this business you plan on starting where you act as a ******** (edited to keep ernest's idea secret). However, as we all know, european retailers don't highly value customer service. Even if we assumed that your idea gains traction, the barriers to markety entry from copycats would be fairly low.

Instead, I think you should think utilize your knowledge and business background in another direction. I think you should consider starting a new distribution channel for the japanese market for LVH goods and other european luxury goods. From the 'european snobbery' thread, it seems that these goods are cheaper in europe than in the asian market. These stores refuse to sell multiple items to asian customers but would to a well dressed european. Combined with your uncanny ability to find discounts, which you've demonstrated to everybody on this forum, I'm sure you'd be able to sell these items at a healty margin via the internet or any other distribution channel to the japanese market.

The potential barriers to anybody else doing this would be much higher than your original idea. They would need to live near Paris. And, they'd need to learn how to speak Japanese to communicate with all these potential customers. Nobody outside Asia has been really studying Japanese since the 80s. You probably don't either, but you've proved yourself an adept learner at languages. Look at how well your english has progressed since you first started coming to this site. While everybody else would be studying in school or working, you could be learning japanese. By the time everybody else realizes what a great idea this is, they wouldn't have enough time to learn japanese to compete with you. Tres facile, non?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Working is for FARMER.

Jon.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

No, they wouldn't. It's not who you are, it's the number of bags you buy. But it is easy to remedy: all Ernest has to do is get his family and friends to each go buy one or two bags at a time. That's a lot of footwork. Maybe it is worth it, if you are in dire need of money and don't care about the Louis Vuitton policy.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

I don't want to spend 10 years learning Japanese.

Anyway, if japanese speak English as told us Toky Slim, I do not need to speak Japanese. And then no more barrier...

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i just got a flashback of 'Lost in Translation'.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's worth videotaping:

Ernest speaking English to Japanese tourists speaking English:

Let the mayhem ensue.

Jon.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I think only Tokyo Japanese know English, and according to my sister, they do not speak it well. Outside of Tokyo, she rarely ever found someone who spoke more than three words of English. It's like how we are required to take Spanish in high school, but can't really say anything aside "Me Llamo bob," etc.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

They might also be afraid to speak English, for fear of making mistakes and losing face?

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Brian SD @ Mar. 03 2005,15:25) I think only Tokyo Japanese know English, and according to my sister, they do not speak it well. Outside of Tokyo, she rarely ever found someone who spoke more than three words of English. It's like how we are required to take Spanish in high school, but can't really say anything aside "Me Llamo bob," etc.
    They might also be afraid to speak English, for fear of making mistakes and losing face?
    That's certainly a major factor. koji

10. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

(faustian bargain @ Mar. 03 2005,13:31) i just got a flashback of 'Lost in Translation'.
    That's worth videotaping: Ernest speaking English to Japanese tourists speaking English: Let the mayhem ensue. Jon.
    I just spit the water I was drinking all over my computer screen. I should know better than drink water while reading this forum.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

12. Alias

Alias Senior member

Ha ha, it would have been funny if the guy did stab her.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ Mar. 03 2005,11:51)
    i just got a flashback of 'Lost in Translation'.
    That's worth videotaping: Ernest speaking English to Japanese tourists speaking English: Let the mayhem ensue. Jon.
    I just spit the water I was drinking all over my computer screen. I should know better than drink water while reading this forum.
    [​IMG] Jon.

14. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I think it is a horrendously sad statement about human affairs when some Japanese woman is risking her life for a stupid LV wallet.