• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ernest Alexander messenger bags

k4ppah

Reaction score
Filson should really take the hint from these guys to make some more colors.

EDIT: I guess they have fewer colors than I thought, but really I just want a grey filson 256!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed something in the strap that bothers me. It looks like it is made up from several pieces of leather instead of a single piece. Other than that they look good.

mulder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
That's true. If you're carrying it by the handle and the buckles aren't fastened, the flap will pull up and back while the bag won't hang straight down.

Thanks for the report! That's what I wanted to know. Looks like I'll be crossing this one off my list. It's a shame, because it appears to be a very nice bag.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, that is beautiful packaging. Makes me want to order a bag just to get a sweet present like that in the mail...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The strap is single ply leather.

Good. I think I'll buy one next week.

mulder

Reaction score
@StephenHero, one more question if I might. If the buckles are fastened, does the bag hang correctly? I know this might be a lot to ask, but would you be able take a picture or two (from front and side) of someone holding the bag from the handle, while it's buckled. I really like the presentation of the bag and if it means just buckling it when I need to use the handle, then so be it. In my head, I'm thinking there might be times when I will be in a rush to grab the bag without buckling it, but during those times I'll just use the strap.

dougie

Reaction score
Not to jump in, but the bag hangs correctly regardless of whether you've buckled the flap or not. The handle's only really useful if you've buckled the flap but I find that in cases where I'm rushing out the door it's not too much to put it over my shoulder, throw in my book or whatever's missing, and then buckle it as I walk. The construction is such that it's not really intended as a briefcase (the strap is not removable), it's just a nice convenience to have a handle available. If you want a briefcase, get one. If you want a messenger, get this. You won't be disappointed.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wish they'd offer some more designs. This looks really good, but it's much more refined than what I tend to prefer in my messengers, and there are traces of old military messenger bags in the design (J Crew and Belstaff have bags with a similar lineage and more rugged aesthetics).

mulder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dougie
Not to jump in, but the bag hangs correctly regardless of whether you've buckled the flap or not. The handle's only really useful if you've buckled the flap but I find that in cases where I'm rushing out the door it's not too much to put it over my shoulder, throw in my book or whatever's missing, and then buckle it as I walk. The construction is such that it's not really intended as a briefcase (the strap is not removable), it's just a nice convenience to have a handle available. If you want a briefcase, get one. If you want a messenger, get this. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for note. I wasn't looking at it from that standpoint. I do want a messenger style first. And it's possible I'm thinking about it too much.
smile.gif

ma1

Reaction score
saw today theyve jacked up the price of their bags by $120!

kicking myself for not buying one now

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Uh. What.

Holy hell you kidding me? My bag's price went up by $110.

Any chance of competing with Filson is gone now.

dougie

Reaction score
Sweet christ, yeah. I love my bag but there's no way I would have bought it at that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads