• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ernest Alexander messenger bags

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? I saw them on A Continuous Lean under the American made list of goods. They look like nice casual streetwear bags as an alternative to Filson and others. What do you think? I've always wanted Filson to make their 256 bag in a charcoal or grey. I may snatch up one of these E.A. bags if Filson doesn't.

3670005412_305f1a910f_o.jpg

dougie

Reaction score
I got one (the Balmoral) a couple weeks ago and I like it a lot. They're a tiny shop--I picked mine up from Ernest himself in his office space--and they haven't been around long, so finding stuff online about them is tough. A couple of the features are less than optimal (I've never been a huge fan of buckles on the outside of a bag and the model I have doesn't have a newspaper pocket) but overall it's a well laid-out bag and a lot of the details are fantastic, especially the shoulder strap. Seems to be pretty well made and I really dig the idea that they're sourcing all the materials and making the things entirely in NYC. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you chose it over the Filson; at the very least it's something a little different.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally something in grey.

I might grab one.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
This shot gives a good idea of the detail in the leather.

3670657092_5578b5d3c5_o.jpg

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the bag. I was thinking of getting a Filson, but this might be a good alternative. Not a fan of the strapes though. Kinda of a pain to take on and off.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
So I bought one of these. Here are some pictures. Ernest was first class and sent a personalized email and note with the bag. Great buying experience. /end plug
3749648609_20f7ebf0fd_b.jpg
3749649185_9ae4ffd064_b.jpg
3749673023_1cc64e1d2c_b.jpg

v3l

Reaction score
inlove.gif

I would be all over this if I didn't have my filson already. And if there was a SF discount. lolz

jbm7777

Reaction score
I'm in love, I think that I have to get that brown bag. I was going to get a filson but didn't really love any of the colors. These are AWESOME!

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking bag. I'm too lazy /w the buckles.

bobfet1

Reaction score
I like the clean style. It would be nice if they made one like this but in all leather.

mulder

Reaction score
First-time poster here. Found the site while researching what new bag to get. I'm also looking at the Voldis Waxwear bag and had a question for the Ernest Alexander owners out there. I notice the handle is on the flap itself. Usually, in these cases, the flap pulls up in an unattractive manner when carrying the bag via the handle. Have you noticed anything similar to this? It worries me even more that the handle becomes useless unless the flap is secured with the buckles. If someone could confirm this for me, that would be great.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
That's true. If you're carrying it by the handle and the buckles aren't fastened, the flap will pull up and back while the bag won't hang straight down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads