• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ernest Alexander messenger bags

LPatterson

Reaction score

Looking for some help from anyone familiar with Ernest Alexander bags. Received my Walker Messenger (waxed canvas) last week, and noticed a discolouration going around most of the edge of the flap (see picture), which I believe is from the adhesive inside. Everything else about the bag is great, but I was a little disappointed with this feature. I'm in Hong Kong and happened to see a different EA bag in a Club Monaco window, and it also had this discolouration but it wasn't as obvious. The sales attendant inside told that after a while, the discolouration will go away after good use of the bag. Anyone else seen this type of thing on their bag, and was the guy telling the truth? Should I just exchange the bag? I'd only do that as a last resort since I'm in Asia an it would be a hassle

I have the same discoloration, although it doesn't appear to be quite as pronounced as yours.

Last edited:

ryeandrivet

Reaction score
The "discoloration" all depends on the wax canvas itself and its unique wearing patterns, as far as I understand. It'll change as you continue to wear it, or you can adjust the amount of wax on the surface by using a product like Otter Wax (this particular brand is EA approved, but I'd test out any similar product in an inconspicuous place to make sure it doesn't have adverse effects, blah blah blah). Bottom line is, in my opinion, it's not a defect but just an element of the unique nature of the material.

rusticchasm

Reaction score
can someone with a Walker Messenger post pictures of what the inside looks like?

Ennius

Reaction score
Anyone have experience the leather briefcase, Hugo, or the leather messenger, Mercer?

I want something that works for business casual usually but also OK with suit on occassion.

I have the Walker which I like but want to move up to leather - a bit dressier.

Any sense of how durable this is? My other 2 EAs are twill cloth which start to wear on the bottom corners after several humdred wears. Annoying. Corners should be reinforced leather?

Muthu Swami

Reaction score
what's the difference between a satchel and a messenger bag then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads