• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ermenegildo Zegna Suit - Made in Switzerland

nvf61286

Reaction score
Hoping some can offer words of wisdom regarding this. I purchased an outstanding suit at full retail from Neiman Marcus. It is Ermenegildo Zegna's Milano line. I'll say that the quality of the fabric was phenomenal and the fit of the suit was as good as or better than any Zegna suit I have ever tried on. I was surprised however, that the label for the majority of suits and sporscoats on the floor were made in Switzerland. Some were also made in Spain (priced lowest) and Italy. I was encouraged by my dad, who has always steered me towards the Italian made suits, that Made in Switerzland is as good as made in Italy and often better these days. Is there anything to think about here. The price of the suit was on par with those made in Italy and a little bit higher than some made in Italy (I imagine Zegna and NM price to correlate with the quality of the suit and fabric).

What info can you offer on this? Is the suit that is made in Switzerland inferior to the suits made in Italy or is this just how they are manufacturing these days?

Thanks

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the main factory is in switzerland , nothing to worry about even lots of the tom ford suits are made there, actually switzerland is quite close to the italian border or so ive heard regarding the zegna factory

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the main factory is in switzerland , nothing to worry about even lots of the tom ford suits are made there, actually switzerland is quite close to the italian border or so ive heard regarding the zegna factory

+ 1. Where is the Zegna Couture line made?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, the new mainline Zegna Mila fit stuff is made in Switzerland. As is the Su Misura line

addedfuel

Reaction score
If the suit has great material and the cut you want, just enjoy it.

In a world of globalisation, few Made In Italy or Made In Switzerland products are really made there so whatever the country of origin stitched onto the garment really doesn't matter anymore. If the quality control is done right, that's all it matters. A Mercedes-Benz rolling off its factory in Stuttgart Germany is no superior to those from Alabama.

Plus Switzerland is pretty close to Italy and the factory should have the same skills to to fabricate your suit.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to the above. My understanding is that the Swiss factory is in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland.

My Zegna Couture SC is made in Italy, but don't know if that's always the case.

I did notice the 'Made in Spain' items; quality still looked good imo.

nvf61286

Reaction score
I am certainly going to love my suit wherever made. Thanks for all of the reassuring responses.

From what everyone has posted, it doesn't sound like the made in Italy are established as the superior suits.

I also felt that the made in Spain labels were very nice. The Switzerland and Italy label suits did appear better though.

Thanks again.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the same item (i.e. line/cut) I've liked the items made in Switzerland much more. Quality and style seemed to be a touch better. Anecdotal, yes, but toss another vote in for "at least equal" to made in Italy.

Ivon

Reaction score
Mainline Zegna suits have been made in Switzerland for years, all mine are. I'd be concerned at this point if they weren't. The quality has always been excellent.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Zegna suit milano cut last year with a made in Switzerland tag as well. It is under the traveller brand with peak lapels and flat front pants.. the drape and the fabric is pure art. I had to tweak a couple things here and there and I am working on cleaning up the back a little but its a beautiful suit. You made a very wise purchase nvf61286

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a Zegna suit milano cut last year with a made in Switzerland tag as well. It is under the traveller brand

Are you saying it was travel fabric? Or that it was a traveler cut? Traveler shouldn't be labeled Milano.

Roma,Milano and Traveler are all at the same level but they aren't the same.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to my sales guy at Tom Ford the Zegna Factory is located on the border of Switzerland and Italy. Where the "made in" tag says is made depends on which side of the border it was completed, when you do MTO at TF they even let you pick which side it will come out from. Wouldnt worry too much about it as they are still Zegna people working in a Zegna factory so i assume they are Italians if that sets your mind at ease lol.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads