Ermenegildo Zegna blackish patina shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blackcomb64, Jul 30, 2007.

1. blackcomb64

blackcomb64 Active Member

Anybody know/remember this great patina shoes? If possible, I would like to have this one (10 1/2 D or 10.0 EE). All I know about this shoes is...already sold out in Italy and Europe[​IMG] Any information would be very helpful and much appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

They look like black XXX shoes that have had some acetone taken to them.

3. blackcomb64

They look like black XXX shoes that have had some acetone taken to them.
    Not by acetone BUT the art of patina[​IMG]

4. blackcomb64

Follow-up---

Now I know this antique patina appeares to be a shoe from EZ 'Limited Edition' program and only 500 pairs were made world wide. So they have already sold out long ago[​IMG] And this shoes was not made by Sutor Mantellasi and ZEFER. At one time EZ had a relationship with Sutor Mantellasi. However, the limited edition shoes as well as Made to Measure (Su Misura) shoes are made in a small artisan shop in the south of Italy that does exclusively EZ product. This is a very very rare shoes although I can't give up yet...

5. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Kronik isn't kidding blackcomb: That effect is actually fairly easy to accomplish using household chemicals and a bit of effort. Do a search here on SF for terms like "patina" "antiquing" and "acetone" and you'll uncover a wealth of info about DIY finishes... or you could spend a fortune hunting down one of the fewer than 100 pairs of these limited edition EZs that were made in your size. your choice [​IMG]

6. Roger

Roger Senior member

Kronik isn't kidding blackcomb: That effect is actually fairly easy to accomplish using household chemicals and a bit of effort. Do a search here on SF for terms like "patina" "antiquing" and "acetone" and you'll uncover a wealth of info about DIY finishes... or you could spend a fortune hunting down one of the fewer than 100 pairs of these limited edition EZs that were made in your size. your choice [​IMG]
    I agree with you and Kronik about achieving a fairly similar effect by taking acetone to black leather, but I'd never suggest that someone actually try to achieve a really beautiful patinated black finish at home on a pair of expensive shoes. So I have to respectfully disagree that this is much of a choice for blackcomb64. I've done a fair amount of home antiquing now (but never in black), and it's definitely not for the faint of heart; it's possible to completely ruin a pair of shoes. I'm betting that it took a pretty experienced antiquer to achieve the finish on those Zegnas. Personally, I don't find it very appealing, but I can see that some would.