• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eric Ripert's Louis Vuitton Knife Case (56k warning)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Third, if the same case were made of Russian calf by the boys at Cleverley or by Tony Gaziano in burnished calf or maybe even Alden in cigar-shaded cordovan, the shoeguys on this Forum would be gushing all over the place.

One Horween shell is not big enough across to cover that much wank on the broad side of the case
teacha.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, you guys all win. I was irresponsible and should have had my knives stolen for being so.

Really, though, nobody with the personality to steal a knife would have lasted five minutes for other reasons. I imagine that this is the case with most places where you are expected to be super diligent and respectful or you won't survive. Maybe things have changed over the last few decades, though.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
In my experience, no. The culture of the kitchens I worked in just didn't even make theft a thought in our tiny little artichoke-turning brains. We trusted each other, and to be honest, at Cyrus, most of us were from all over the place and knew literally nobody in Northern California except those that we worked with. It would be like stealing from family, which is something we'd never do*.

*Russ' hatred for Paul Giamatti in Sideways aside.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Whether you like it or not, theft can be a problem in many kitchens. Cyrus is not the typical restaurant. Many have large numbers of rather transient staff, including a good number of cleaning help and wait staff. It's not unknown for restaurant workers to be in need of cash. Things get stolen. That's just the reality. Equally important and relevant is that in many, many kitchens there simply isn't room to store your high quality knives in a manner you would expect. Work stations are small, often shared by several shifts. Space is at a premium. Unattended items get pushed aside, dropped, stored haphazardly, etc. If you want to safeguard your equipment, it is often advisable to take it with you. That's just how it is.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol using Cyrus as an example of a typical restaurant

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what, no handcuff/tether on the handle? I thought Ripert was serious about his knives.
puzzled.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
As opposed to Le Bernardin?
confused.gif

i think if eric was spending all of his time at the le bernardin kitchen, he wouldn't need the vuitton case, though he might well have a locked drawer. it's precisely because he's making so many public appearances and working in so many foreign kitchens (foreign as in, not le bernardin) that something like this seems attractive.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i think if eric was spending all of his time at the le bernardin kitchen, he wouldn't need the vuitton case, though he might well have a locked drawer. it's precisely because he's making so many public appearances and working in so many foreign kitchens (foreign as in, not le bernardin) that something like this seems attractive.
Oh, I know. It's just that Pebblegrain was the one who said that you can't leave knives like that in a 50 person restaurant, referring to Le Bernardin, but then laughed at Kyle for using Cyrus as an example. Anyway, nice knife case, huh? How 'bout them Dodgers?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how he manages with that lot at airport security?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I wonder how he manages with that lot at airport security?
Checked.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Checked.

I hope it's all insured, because it looks quite expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads