• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ercolino Resole of a pair of Lobbs (Paris).

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
On the phone, Perry mentioned that prices differed based on the construction of the shoe, while Lobb intimated a flat fee charge. I didn't want to say it cost X, then have someone complain that it cost them more or less. Any other questions?

Understood. Btw, results look great!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like you are happy with the service and quality you received for what you paid. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I'm in Birmingham, and do drop off my wife's stuff at Frank's. I hate to say it, but I really don't think there's anyone who does a great job on welted shoes in Detroit. Now there is a guy in Southfield (12 Mile area) that has J.R. soles, but he seems to talk a better game than he plays.

If you encounter anyone else in Detroit for standard stuff, I'd be interested to compare notes. I've never used that Tiger place in B'ham, but I've used a guy at Maple and Telegraph for new heels. He was just okay.

Yeah, by standard stuff I mean resoles on florsheim longwings, installing metal toe taps and replacing worn heels. This is the kind of service I'm happy to know about for when some of my recently-acquired better shoes need a resole.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I knew that Mr. Ercolino recrafted bespoke footwear from other makers, but it is wonderful to learn that he will also recraft a Goodyear welted shoe. I'm assuming that at the cost range that you mention, he didn't hand welt those Lopez. I'm surprised that he has a Goodyear machine, actually.

That is the best recrafting job that I have seen that wasn't done by the original maker. Really fantastic.

- B

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Yeah, by standard stuff I mean resoles on florsheim longwings, installing metal toe taps and replacing worn heels. This is the kind of service I'm happy to know about for when some of my recently-acquired better shoes need a resole.

You know what Frank's actually does a really good job on, surprisingly enough, is luggage repair (non leather).

I'm ordinarily a big factory guy (in fact I just sent a pair of vibram soled hunting-style boots back to Allen Edmonds, and will post pics when those come back), but at some point with the higher end shoes, you have to say "enough's enough" on pricing, time, and of course service.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
On the phone, Perry mentioned that prices differed based on the construction of the shoe, while Lobb intimated a flat fee charge. I didn't want to say it cost X, then have someone complain that it cost them more or less. Any other questions?

I understood what you were saying. Thanks for the post. Looks great.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
You know what Frank's actually does a really good job on, surprisingly enough, is luggage repair (non leather).

You've never known any cobblers then, I reckon.
Leather soled Lopez costs $1100-plus.
Add the price paid, add the cost of swapping out the soles, substract the cost of wear/tear, and you oughta be able to get an idea whether or not it was worth the bother.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
You've never known any cobblers then, I reckon.
Leather soled Lopez costs $1100-plus.
Add the price paid, add the cost of swapping out the soles, substract the cost of wear/tear, and you oughta be able to get an idea whether or not it was worth the bother.

The surprising parts are that the repair was of NON-leather luggage, and that it was done very well by a shop that doesn't ordinarily turn out great work (especially on leather cases and bags), not that a cobbler would work on luggage.

Azul

Reaction score
any recent experience with perry resoles?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perry's a great guy. He has a tremendous passion for his trade. We exchange ideas from time to time. He's very knowledgeable...
I have samples of some of his offerings in my window for those locals that are interested in inspecting the quality and detail of his work.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Perry's a great guy. He has a tremendous passion for his trade. We exchange ideas from time to time. He's very knowledgeable...
I have samples of some of his offerings in my window for those locals that are interested in inspecting the quality and detail of his work.

would love to hear more about perry's recrafting jobs. nick - how does his recrafts differ from a B. nelson full recraft?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads