• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ercolino Resole of a pair of Lobbs (Paris).

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of chocolate brown suede Lobb Lopez loafers that for some reason I bought with a rubber sole. At first I liked it with jeans, but then it started bugging me.

So I decided I'd get it resoled with decent leather soles, but where to go? I wanted closed channels, J. R. soles, zero change in fit, etc. I contacted Lobb . . . again and again and again, with zero response. Finally I happened to be in London and stopped by the Lobb store (sans shoes) and inquired about resoling. $400+, not including shipping. So essentially I was looking at $500 (the pound was at $1.95 when I was there).

So I thought and thought, and looked around on some threads here, and was reminded of the bespoke shoemaker Perry Ercolino just outside Philadelphia. I remember reading about Perry since I was a kid, so I figured I'd call him and ask if he'd do a resole on these.

Perry was a joy to talk to, very realistic about what could and couldn't be done with the shoes, and what his pricing might be. Once he received the shoes, his knowledge became even more apparent. Is it sick to say that I genuinely enjoyed talking resoling with him? I suppose here it's okay. I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to talk to a craftsman that understands exactly what you want.

At any rate, below are my typical poor digital photos of the finished product. Keep in mind that Perry had a substantial challenge since the rubber soles that were on these shoes were rather bulky. I won't publicly talk prices, since I believe his prices vary based on what's called for and what materials he uses, but I'll let you know that it cost me more than an Alden resole and less than the quoted Lobb resole.

If Perry's around and would like to comment on the process, he's obviously free to. I'll also disclose that I'm just a lawyer in Detroit and receive no remuneration or discount from Perry (and have the credit card bill to prove it); I'm also a first time client.

p1020070zn0.jpg

p1020073pd5.jpg

p1020074cl0.jpg

p1020076ku5.jpg

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, further examination of my camera lens leads me to believe that two suspects (ages six and two) got their dirty little mitts all over the lens. My apologies, just pretend it's artsy "soft focus" ;-)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks like he's done a great job, heels flat
wink.gif
enjoy!

BTW nice shoe also

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perry Ercolino is quite knowledgable about his trade.
He has met one of his customers at my shop. we have discussed having him take a small space in my new location to meet customers. If you would like to see Perry in NYC, please contact him to arrange an appointment.

http://www.perryercolino.com/index.php

I have not had Perry make me shoes yet. I have seen his work. Our shared customer has had shoes made by numerous shoemakers. He enjoys working with Perry over the other shoemakers he has used.

Carl

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He did a beautiful job on those! THanks for sharing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
looks like he's done a good job, heels flat
wink.gif
enjoy!

Heel stand is correct.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic. I'd be so bummed to have to walk on those. I think it would bother me more to scuff those up than a brand new pair. I guess it's becuase I've set my standards a bit lower for resole work. Frank's in B-ham does a great job on standard stuff, but this is just in a completely different league. I'm glad to know they will consider this type of work.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Fantastic. I'd be so bummed to have to walk on those. I think it would bother me more to scuff those up than a brand new pair. I guess it's becuase I've set my standards a bit lower for resole work. Frank's in B-ham does a great job on standard stuff, but this is just in a completely different league. I'm glad to know they will consider this type of work.

I'm in Birmingham, and do drop off my wife's stuff at Frank's. I hate to say it, but I really don't think there's anyone who does a great job on welted shoes in Detroit. Now there is a guy in Southfield (12 Mile area) that has J.R. soles, but he seems to talk a better game than he plays.

If you encounter anyone else in Detroit for standard stuff, I'd be interested to compare notes. I've never used that Tiger place in B'ham, but I've used a guy at Maple and Telegraph for new heels. He was just okay.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mention the price of resoling at Lobb but you won't publicly talk prices when it comes to the alternative you chose vs. Lobb?
confused.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is restoring others' shoes half the price? He trying to attract switchers?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You mention the price of resoling at Lobb but you won't publicly talk prices when it comes to the alternative you chose vs. Lobb?
confused.gif

On the phone, Perry mentioned that prices differed based on the construction of the shoe, while Lobb intimated a flat fee charge. I didn't want to say it cost X, then have someone complain that it cost them more or less. Any other questions?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an absolutely beautiful job he did. I've gotta give this guy a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads