• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The Scott is my favorite of my small bunch as well. I went with 1 3/8" so it straddles the casual/business casual line pretty well for me. After the Scott, my burgundy west end w/brass buckle in 1 3/8" gets the most use followed by the 1.25" Aus Nut/stainless. The Russet Bakers sees the least wear but is the go to for weekends w/denim. I wore it so much more before acquiring the Scott. The Scott is so versatile and I love how the Bakers leather shows wear and age. It reminds me of shell cordovan shoes in that respect. It continues to look better as it ages. Conversely, the Sedgewick bridle leather looks as perfect today as the day it arrived in the mail over a year ago.

:) Always good to see much loved belts!

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,
We've also started stocking some of the Saphir range of products. People often ask is the Saphir stuff is OK to use with our belts, to which we havent had a good answer historically as we hadnt tested it. We've found a source and have tested their saddle soap, neetsfoot oil and Renovateur all of which seem really good and fill different care niches really nicely. The Renovateur in particular does a great job of restoring the shine to the Sedgwick and Bakers belts, we're really impressed by it.

The Saphir and our the rest our leather care range is here

Charlie

How do you apply the renovateur? Just rub it in, let it sit for a while and then brush it off with a horsehair brush?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Exactly that, though a soft cloth works as well. The instructions say to apply, leave for 3 mins and then rub/brush off, I find you need to make sure its dried first which might take a little longer depending on how much you put on.

Charlie

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I pre-order a damascus buckle please with a scott belt?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Can I pre-order a damascus buckle please with a scott belt?

We havent 100% finalised the price as yet, but certainly I'd be happy to reserve a buckle and a place in the queue for you if that would help? The buckle supply will be very limited so a good idea to reserve one if you want one

Charlie

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HI Charlie,
I wonder if you could offer any advice. All my belts get this little damage spot from rubbing against the rivet of my jeans. It took me months to figure that out but now its clear. I've since covered the rivet with a tiny piece of duct tape to ensure no further damage. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage already done?

It's not all that noticeable until I remove the belt but it sure bothers me. If I suffered a scratch on a pair of calf shoes, I'd brush it, add a bit of cream polish, them brush some more. It usually covers up any scuffs. With shell cordovan footwear, I use a deer bone to rub out the scuffs. It really works wonders. Some folks use the back of a spoon to smooth out inconsistencies, then polish over it.

I don't want to add any polish to the belts, but I wonder if the deer bone or spoon trick would help. I'd liken the bridle leather more to shell than my calf shoes in terms of durability.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

HI Charlie, I wonder if you could offer any advice. All my belts get this little damage spot from rubbing against the rivet of my jeans. It took me months to figure that out but now its clear. I've since covered the rivet with a tiny piece of duct tape to ensure no further damage. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage already done? It's not all that noticeable until I remove the belt but it sure bothers me. If I suffered a scratch on a pair of calf shoes, I'd brush it, add a bit of cream polish, them brush some more. It usually covers up any scuffs. With shell cordovan footwear, I use a deer bone to rub out the scuffs. It really works wonders. Some folks use the back of a spoon to smooth out inconsistencies, then polish over it. I don't want to add any polish to the belts, but I wonder if the deer bone or spoon trick would help. I'd liken the bridle leather more to shell than my calf shoes in terms of durability.
Hmm, thats quite a tricky one. Dents are difficult to remove, bridle leather is dense so a dent is difficult to push out. You could try a deer bone, its an old tricky in the saddlery trade as well as the shoe trade. The difficult thing is not to mark the surrounding area - you'd need to have the bone run the whole width if the belt so you dont get a line where you've been - certainly worth a try to see what happens. My other thought is a bit more of a pain for you, but it seems to me the marks are unattractive and obvious because they've obliterated the crease mark. If you send them to us we can run a creasing iron back down the line and try to restablish the definition of the line which might aesthetically sort it out. It might work and it might not, we cant use heat with the London Tan belt (the line would change colour) but we can with the Aus Nut belt. Hope thats a bit of help. Badly placed rivet by the jeans makers! Charlie

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why everyone should have at least 1 tan belt. It's so fresh but can be used in any outfit from semi formal to sporty ones. I'd get another one from Equus if I don't already have 3.

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Couple of development photos for you.

No 1 - one of some new buckles we're working on for the summer

More photos in due course as we get the new collection together! We've been focusing on developing a sharper, square edged contemporary look for the new additions

We've also started stocking some of the Saphir range of products. People often ask is the Saphir stuff is OK to use with our belts, to which we havent had a good answer historically as we hadnt tested it. We've found a source and have tested their saddle soap, neetsfoot oil and Renovateur all of which seem really good and fill different care niches really nicely. The Renovateur in particular does a great job of restoring the shine to the Sedgwick and Bakers belts, we're really impressed by it.

The Saphir and our the rest our leather care range is here

Charlie
Very nice buckle when is this buckle to order?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
patrick_b: I*ve had the same problem with Jeans...it just adds to the character of the belt...give it time and it alls adds to individuality and character...

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Very nice buckle when is this buckle to order?

The inevitable answer is "soon" :) We've had the prototypes from the maker but we havent had the first batch yet. Given they're a new design I want to wait for the first shipment to arrive before I put them on the website so we know for sure they are right. I hope we'll also have 2 more new designs in the same shipment, plus we have a couple of reworkings of current designs in the pipeline

Hope that helps a bit!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Is there a calf option for the replacement strap?

Not on the website but its something we do as a bespoke product. We actually do it quite frequently really. The Calf Lined and Raised is effectively what you'll get but made around your existing buckle

Drop me an email or pm if you want to chat through the specifics

Charlie

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Looking at the bridle watch straps. Is it possible to get them to less than 4mm thick?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Looking at the bridle watch straps. Is it possible to get them to less than 4mm thick?

Yes, definiltley. In fact generally they are, the text on the website lags behind product development a little. As a generalisation they will be around 2 1/2mm at the edges and around 3 1/2mm in the centre at the watch end, tapering down towards 3mm at the end of the strap. Thats about the limit to how thin we can make them in bridle at the moment though.

The goatskin straps are a little thinner again if thats your primary criteria?

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics