• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Received my laced bridle belt yesterday. Firstly, I will note that it is beauty and the tannage liquor quite fragrant. For the StyFo braintrust, I will also note that the Flat West End - true to its name - is a flat buckle. Some of the images had me of the belief that it was chunkier. Also, I might have gone with a 5" tail in place of the 4" I specified.

Unfortunately the waist measurement I lifted from a sample belt didn't quite map to the final result in terms of fit - the laced bridle is about 1/3" snugger when worn at the third (middle) hole. @Equus Leather I'm hoping this is a negligible enough difference and wondering if you may have some recommended tips for stretching the belt, recognizing that bridle leather is pretty resistant to stretch?

View attachment 1424759

Its a smart belt with the Palladium hardware! I really enjoy the laced belts, here's an iPhone snap of it when it was being prepared for parcelling at this end, and one from the website that shows the lacing. Its a uniquely English style of making a belt, the technique originates from Reins for horses

See The Laced Belt here

In terms of the fit, I think 1/3rd" will become negligible, different trouser thicknesses probably make more difference than that. Theres literally no way the belt will stretch, bridle leather just doesn't to any meaningful measure. What it will do though is soften, and as the leather breaks in and moulds to you the softness will yield a little extra, so I think it'll end ups being spot on

The chunkiness of the Flat West End often catches people out - you must like chunky buckles! Different tail lengths for custom orders not at all a problem for the future

IMG_0173.jpg

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We've been working on an update of the website over the last little while. It hasn't been without some trials but its live right now. Its mostly a technology refresh - should be considerably faster and more cross platform compliant now, but we've also been working on an improved menu and navigation which should make finding your way around a little easier. We've chosen not to migrate passwords as a security measure so if you have an account with us when you go to log in you'll need to reset your password - link here https://www.equusleather.co.uk/customer/account/forgotpassword/

We have another more substantial menu update planned shortly that should make drilling down in to what we do even easier

Any and all feedback welcome. Site is here https://www.equusleather.co.uk/

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 10.20.26.png

Thanks!

Charlie

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a smart belt with the Palladium hardware! I really enjoy the laced belts, here's an iPhone snap of it when it was being prepared for parcelling at this end, and one from the website that shows the lacing. Its a uniquely English style of making a belt, the technique originates from Reins for horses

See The Laced Belt here

In terms of the fit, I think 1/3rd" will become negligible, different trouser thicknesses probably make more difference than that. Theres literally no way the belt will stretch, bridle leather just doesn't to any meaningful measure. What it will do though is soften, and as the leather breaks in and moulds to you the softness will yield a little extra, so I think it'll end ups being spot on

The chunkiness of the Flat West End often catches people out - you must like chunky buckles! Different tail lengths for custom orders not at all a problem for the future

View attachment 1424947

Charlie

Thank you. I've got a pair of thick, 19oz denim I'm going to try breaking it in with. And, again, beautiful work.

TJS

Reaction score
Hi Charlie - I have a quick question on card case customisation.

I'm planning to order a Lloyd Card Case with Espresso Baranil outer and Rust Chevre inner (beige thread), but thought it would be nice to have some subtle contrast on the interior, with the leather that comprises the chevrons in the dark brown Setter Chevre. Would that be possible and do you think that combination would work well?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Charlie - I have a quick question on card case customisation.

I'm planning to order a Lloyd Card Case with Espresso Baranil outer and Rust Chevre inner (beige thread), but thought it would be nice to have some subtle contrast on the interior, with the leather that comprises the chevrons in the dark brown Setter Chevre. Would that be possible and do you think that combination would work well?

Hi! That sounds a nice idea, we can certainly do that. Actually, my suggestion though would be to go for Baranil Espresso for the seagulls, so there's a reflection of the exterior on the inside, plus a grain contrast, and that way there isn't two different browns that dont quite match (Espresso/Setter). What do you think?

The interior modifications you cant put through the website, but we can sort out by email afterward

Hope that helps!

Charlie

TJS

Reaction score
Hi! That sounds a nice idea, we can certainly do that. Actually, my suggestion though would be to go for Baranil Espresso for the seagulls, so there's a reflection of the exterior on the inside, plus a grain contrast, and that way there isn't two different browns that dont quite match (Espresso/Setter). What do you think?

The interior modifications you cant put through the website, but we can sort out by email afterward

Hope that helps!

Charlie
That's a great suggestion, thanks Charlie. I still haven't decided whether to go with the contrast or keep it simple, so I'll follow up via email when I order if I decide to go with the custom option.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's a great suggestion, thanks Charlie. I still haven't decided whether to go with the contrast or keep it simple, so I'll follow up via email when I order if I decide to go with the custom option.

Cool - here to help as and when!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all,

We have been luck enough to get hold of a bit more of the Russian Reindeer from the wreck of the Metta Catherina, for the 2nd time in 12 years. For those who dont know, the Metta Catherina sunk in the Bristol Sound in a storm in 1786, the leather was buried under the silt and recovered and restored some 20 years ago. Its amazing stuff and getting extremely rare. We're at the order taking stage now, we have enough left still for a few watch straps, a wallet or two, maybe a notebook cover, one envelope and some key fobs or key loops. If you're keen let me know asap and we'll add you to the list and talk details. Its first come first served of course

Charlie

DSC_6384.JPG
DSC_6370.JPG

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

The Envelope and most of the wallet leather is now booked, still a little watch strap and key fob/loop leather and probably one notebook or two wallets worth. If you'd like some get it while you can ;-)

Charlie

Hello all,

We have been luck enough to get hold of a bit more of the Russian Reindeer from the wreck of the Metta Catherina, for the 2nd time in 12 years. For those who dont know, the Metta Catherina sunk in the Bristol Sound in a storm in 1786, the leather was buried under the silt and recovered and restored some 20 years ago. Its amazing stuff and getting extremely rare. We're at the order taking stage now, we have enough left still for a few watch straps, a wallet or two, maybe a notebook cover, one envelope and some key fobs or key loops. If you're keen let me know asap and we'll add you to the list and talk details. Its first come first served of course

Charlie

View attachment 1456333 View attachment 1456334

Thomas_M

Reaction score
Hi Charlie,

Just received mine Russian Reeinder strap.
It is stunning.
Such a piece of history.
And the craft is top level as usual =)

Thank you.

2020-11-27 08.44.47.jpg

2020-11-27 08.44.55.jpg

2020-11-27 08.45.04.jpg

2020-11-27 08.45.15.jpg

2020-11-27 08.45.26.jpg

2020-11-27 08.45.33.jpg

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Charlie

View attachment 1456333 View attachment 1456334
Hi Charlie,

Just received mine Russian Reeinder strap.
It is stunning.
Such a piece of history.
And the craft is top level as usual =)

Thank you.

View attachment 1505688
View attachment 1505689
View attachment 1505690
View attachment 1505691
View attachment 1505692
View attachment 1505693

Really glad you like it :)

You can just see your strap in the top right as it was being made

DSC_6992.jpg

We're having a lot of fun with the leather, here's a cool wallet made with the same Russian Reindeer and a contrasting English goatskin panel

DSC_7018.jpg

Fingers crossed we have a little left over once we've finished the current batch and we can release a little more for more cool things...

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads