• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yep. Those hallmarks are super sharp.
Question regarding bridle leather care: I'm getting conflicting information from the Equus website and the J&FJ Baker website regarding the use of oil based leather feed. Equus recommends using leather feed from Sedgwick (https://www.equusleather.co.uk/insi...her-care/caring-for-bridle-leather-belts.html). However, J&FJ do not recommend oil-based leather feed (https://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/leather-care). Can you explain the discrepancy here? Thanks

Actually, both websites are in full agreement. Sedgwick Leatherfeed isnt oil based, its grease based so its perfect for grease based (ie Bridle) leather. Its effectively the grease Sedgwick use to turn leather in to Bridle leather. Bakers use a slightly different formula, but effectively its exactly the same thing. Hope that makes sense!

Actually, oiling Bakers leather with a really good Neetsfoot oil is possible too. It has to be a natural Neetsfoot not an imitation mineral oil, and it works best if you then use a grease based feed afterward to seal the oil in, but it works very well for leather that needs to be in the weather, so not really applicable for belts but useful for outdoor sort of leather

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

MattyS

Reaction score
Maybe I'll take the plunge, @Equus Leather. I've been looking at the laced bridle belt, and I'm wondering whether to go with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". Normally I would prefer 1 1/2" with denim (which is how I'm planning to wear this), but I gather that the lacing already makes the belt somewhat wider. Any thoughts about which size will wear more like a "normal" or standard 1 1/2" leather belt?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe I'll take the plunge, @Equus Leather. I've been looking at the laced bridle belt, and I'm wondering whether to go with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". Normally I would prefer 1 1/2" with denim (which is how I'm planning to wear this), but I gather that the lacing already makes the belt somewhat wider. Any thoughts about which size will wear more like a "normal" or standard 1 1/2" leather belt?

The 1 1/4" version of the laced belt will be a lot closer to the 1 1/2" normal belts. The lacing definitley adds getting on to 1/4", so my advice would be the 1 1/4" version anyway.

Hope that helps!

Charlie

MattyS

Reaction score
The 1 1/4" version of the laced belt will be a lot closer to the 1 1/2" normal belts. The lacing definitley adds getting on to 1/4", so my advice would be the 1 1/4" version anyway.

Hope that helps!
That does indeed help. Order placed! One further question, @Equus Leather.

The description of the laced belt says that it's possible to get a leather covered roller buckle, but I couldn't find that option. Should I just send an email with my order number and that request?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That does indeed help. Order placed! One further question, @Equus Leather.

The description of the laced belt says that it's possible to get a leather covered roller buckle, but I couldn't find that option. Should I just send an email with my order number and that request?

Thanks for the order! Yes, please do send an email - that options obviously been missed from the website, sorry!

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Ordered a belt from you a couple of days ago. Now the wait begins :)

db123456

Reaction score
Hi there -- I'm trying to get a belt order put together and had a couple of questions:

1. Can you provide a dumbed-down explanation of the differences between the Scott harness belts, the Bakers bridle, and the West End bridle? I'm looking for something that would be suited to denim and more casual, heavier chinos. Would one of those options work best that purpose?

2. Is there a particular reason that the Bakers bridle is offered in 1 3/8" width only with the roller buckle? It seemed a little strange since there are other belts with 1 3/8" West End buckles.

Thank you.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi!

To answer the questions

1) The Scott is a hefty harness leather belt. Very good for jeans if you want somthing chunky. The Bakers bridle is a similar thickness, but a softer leather so more general purpose - jeans and chinos. The Sedgwick (as used for the West End) is a little thinner again and a bit smarter looking, so smarter jeans, chinos suits. Hope that helps!

2) Thats a bug. The 1 3/8" West End was dropped but he foundry a while back, so has largely been removed from the website, though we do have a few and we can get them intermittently. The 1 3/8 West End Roller is still in production though

I hope that helps!

Charlie

db123456

Reaction score
1) The Scott is a hefty harness leather belt. Very good for jeans if you want somthing chunky. The Bakers bridle is a similar thickness, but a softer leather so more general purpose - jeans and chinos. The Sedgwick (as used for the West End) is a little thinner again and a bit smarter looking, so smarter jeans, chinos suits. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for the clear explanation. I'm sure this comes through clearly in person but it wasn't readily obvious to me inthe website pictures. (Well I guess I could tell that the Sedwick was the smarter option; but the Scott vs. Bakers bridle distinction wasn't so obvious.)

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the clear explanation. I'm sure this comes through clearly in person but it wasn't readily obvious to me inthe website pictures. (Well I guess I could tell that the Sedwick was the smarter option; but the Scott vs. Bakers bridle distinction wasn't so obvious.)

:) Here to help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads