• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some of todays work

The promised prototype lighter weight L&R. This is actually in Sedgwick 2 mm leather, thinner than our standard version but not so thin (and in different colours) as the new product in the works. The edges of this are c. 4mm and the centre is 6mm - good and chunky but not too much and I like it a lot. The reason for its being was to try a construction technique suited to lighter leathers, which works, and stitching at a lower stich count and in white thread to create a much bolder look, which I also think works.

Also, a freshly received back from hallmarked keeper in Sterling Silver - rather pretty I think, though I am biased!

Charlie

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of todays work
The promised prototype lighter weight L&R. This is actually in Sedgwick 2 mm leather, thinner than our standard version but not so thin (and in different colours) as the new product in the works.......

=)

i for one
look forward to the
new product

emptym

Reaction score
Me too. I'd like a stitched belt made of two layers. Or is the third, inner layer really helpful?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some of todays work
The promised prototype lighter weight L&R. This is actually in Sedgwick 2 mm leather, thinner than our standard version but not so thin (and in different colours) as the new product in the works. The edges of this are c. 4mm and the centre is 6mm - good and chunky but not too much and I like it a lot. The reason for its being was to try a construction technique suited to lighter leathers, which works, and stitching at a lower stich count and in white thread to create a much bolder look, which I also think works.

Also, a freshly received back from hallmarked keeper in Sterling Silver - rather pretty I think, though I am biased!

Charlie

I like the keeper. Details?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Me too. I'd like a stitched belt made of two layers. Or is the third, inner layer really helpful?

Hi Empty,

We can happily make a double layered belt if thats what you want. The third inner layer isn't needed structurally, it just adds the raised effect to the front. You can see to a certain degree the slightly rounded shape of the face of the belt above, which to my mind is a pleasing effect and makes the belt look a bit more special. It also helps keep the surface of the belt smooth in use, the little bit of extra tension its under helps keep it crease free for longer.

Maybe drop me a PM and we can chat about the deign you had in mind?

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I like the keeper. Details?

Hi Think,

Its a sterling silver keeper for an 1 1/4 strap, principally as an option for the Sterling West End but will go with other single sided Sterling buckles in due course. Its been hallmarked at Goldsmiths in London and the various marks are, from left to right

EL - Us, we made it so it has our sponsors mark
The Lion - The traditional Fineness symbol of Sterling Silver
925 - The compulsory metal and fineness symbol - again for Sterling
The Leopard - The mark to show the keeper was assayed in London
M - the date, 2011 in this case

The marks are 3mm and deliberately visible - we tend to have a reasonably conservative hallmarking scheme with the buckles, they are marked on the top face of the buckle so you can see them as you look down at a belt being worn, but they aren't visible to others (unless in very close proximity!). The keeper is quite the opposite, bold marks on the face that are an integral part of the design. As ever we can place marks more or less where people like if they have strong preferences though, so a buckle could have a more obvious set of marks and the keeper less so.

This keeper is a £55 option in addition to the price of the belt/buckle.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why does your new Sedgwick model - that's your "flagship", correct? - in the lighter i.e. less weighty leather done with contrasting seam?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Native,

This isn't replacing the current Lined and Raised, we're working towards either 1 or 2 more products in different weights and leathers to compliment it. 1 may well be just like the above, lighter Sedgwick leathers but very much the same design. The other belt would be using Italian leathers in a more contemporary colour range and lighter weight again, a more continental style belt in appearance but still just the same quality and entirely handmade and hand stitched. The contrast stitching will be an option, if people prefer self coloured stitching thats fine as ever. We're just trying to widen our range - the current Lined and Raised is very chunky and I know people would like a choice of weights so they can have a belt suited to more formal/lighter weigh clothing.

Hope this makes sense,

Charlie

WingTips

Reaction score
Charlie the addition to the L&R range is looking really good... just wondering if you are able to take a picture from the 'top' so its easy to see how thick it is as its easier to see 6mm than imagine it! cheers...ravi

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of todays work

Charlie

The keeper is a keeper :slayer:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie the addition to the L&R range is looking really good... just wondering if you are able to take a picture from the 'top' so its easy to see how thick it is as its easier to see 6mm than imagine it! cheers...ravi

Ravi,

Glad you like it :). Do you mean from the top or do you mean from the side? I'll take some that express the thickness. As a guide, the edges of this one will be about the same or a little thicker than the leather in one of our standard belts and the centre will be about 1 1/2 times that. I know that won't help anyone who doesn't have one of our belts but may help Ravi, who does! The Continental version I hope will be 3mm and 4.5 or so, so thinner than standard Sedgwicks at the edge and only a fraction thicker in the middle.

Hope that helps,

Charlie

emptym

Reaction score

Hi Empty,
We can happily make a double layered belt if thats what you want. The third inner layer isn't needed structurally, it just adds the raised effect to the front. You can see to a certain degree the slightly rounded shape of the face of the belt above, which to my mind is a pleasing effect and makes the belt look a bit more special. It also helps keep the surface of the belt smooth in use, the little bit of extra tension its under helps keep it crease free for longer.
Maybe drop me a PM and we can chat about the deign you had in mind?
Charlie

Thank you for the information. I will definitely pm you when I'm sure about what I want. I'm also interested in the watch straps... May need to start saving up!

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a few photos of recent work for people.

First of a Lined and Raised thats a commission for a customer using a very interesting green/black vegetable tanned leather. It changes colour depending on the light, sometimes showing green highlights sometimes quite black. It has a captive running loop to prevent the keeper getting lost.

and lastly a picture of the hallmarks of a sterling silver West End, I don't think I've posted one before. The hallmark is on the top face of the buckle as you look down on the buckle as you wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics