• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

...Got the hole punched on the Metta Catharina, and I think I might have made it a bit too snug. It's wearable, but hopefully it will loosen just a little bit down the road. I'll get used to it either way though.

A few a little less crappy i-pics:

Good work, as always, Charlie!

Love the photos :)

You really can't beat the single hole look - looks fab. Its much, much better that its a tiny bit snug, it'll mould to you wrist and feel looser in a few days wear and theres nothing more irritating in the world than a strap thats too loose.

Really pleased to see it in action

Charlie

Trebor88

Reaction score
Hi Charlie, I just have a question regarding your calfskin belts. Any there any plans for more colors in the future (browns, etc.)? Also, are there any options for a more traditional/formal belt buckle? The palladium plating on the west end looks like a pretty good color for formal wear, but the style of the buckle is more casual compared to the longer and more squared traditional dress buckles. Thanks!

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Charlie, I just have a question regarding your calfskin belts. Any there any plans for more colors in the future (browns, etc.)? Also, are there any options for a more traditional/formal belt buckle? The palladium plating on the west end looks like a pretty good color for formal wear, but the style of the buckle is more casual compared to the longer and more squared traditional dress buckles. Thanks!

Yes on all counts! We can source different colours already, we chose black as the most appropriate when we were developing the design but using the same leather we have access to quite a variety of browns plus quite a range of other colours.

I personally use the West End with a palladium finish as a formal buckle, I know people are after a more angular buckle though so we have one in the works at the moment. I have samples here, I need to take some photos of it and I'll post them. Im expecting the first batch of buckles in 1 1/4" in a month or so, they are solid brass and can be palladium plated for formal wear, I think they'll be perfect for the calf L&R

Hope that helps!

Charlie

Trebor88

Reaction score
Very excited to see photos and what you come up with! I'll be awaiting anxiously :)

Eastman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I received the leather samples, thanks, that´s a great help to choose color

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No reason we can't do rose gold plaiting I don't think - happy to check it out if you like? The firm that does our palladium plating should be able to do it for us.

Charlie

Yes!!!

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Im not familiar with that brand, I tend to go for Sandalwood based smells myself.

The Sedgwick leather is subtle enough in smell thats you can't smell it unless its been enclosed in a box for a while or you sniff it from close range. The Bakers are a little stronger when new but fade with time. If we could bottle the smell of the Bakers Aus Nut I strongly suspect we could sell it, its tremendously appealing.

Charlie

Black leather essence, another recommendation for the evening.

jacktamhk

Reaction score
Hi Jack,

Nice shoes! As above its probably worth your while to order some samples so you can see first hand. Id say, again as above (thanks NT!) Hazel or Oxford Tan will be good choices and would represent the lighter and darker areas of the shoes. As to buckle, left to my own devices Id always pick nickel but it really is personal taste and all of our buckle metals and finishes work with all the leathers really. More than anything it'll depend what buckle design you like as that'll dictate what buckle metals that are available.

Hope that helps!

Charlie

Got the leather samples yesterday. It just took a week for them to reach Hong Kong, which is fast.
Glad that I waited for the samples before making decisions - changed my mind from oxford tan to hazel after seeing the samples.
The leather quality is simply wonderful. Really love it! Can't wait to get my first Equus belt!

Shoeliker

Reaction score
Just ordered my first Equus belt last night, and once again I'll sing the wisdom of having the samples on hand. I upgraded to the Baker's Oak Brown because the samples clearly showed the subtleties of colour richness that the Bakers display. In comparing the samples with various shoes, the Bakers complemented a wide range of various shoe colours. I'm not big on having an exact match between belt and shoes, so I loved how, every time I put the Bakers sample next to a different shoe, it seemed to complement the shoe in a new and :happy:interesting way.

One thing I'd enjoy hearing comments or feedback on: I asked the Equus crew to use their professional expertise to pick a thread colour for me. I chose Lin cable, mostly thinking that I wanted to do anything possible to enhance what I imagine will be a long-term product life. I thought I wanted a very slight complementary colour, not an exact match, and I couldn't tell from the Web pics. However, on a West End belt I wonder if it matters much, as very little if any stitching shows on these belts, I imagine.

I look forward not only to receiving my purchase but also to someday buying more belts. I love buying things from companies that (from what we see on this forum and in what is communicated on the Website) have such a customer-oriented approach and an ethos grounded in a true love of the work they do.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Just ordered my first Equus belt last night, and once again I'll sing the wisdom of having the samples on hand. I upgraded to the Baker's Oak Brown because the samples clearly showed the subtleties of colour richness that the Bakers display. In comparing the samples with various shoes, the Bakers complemented a wide range of various shoe colours. I'm not big on having an exact match between belt and shoes, so I loved how, every time I put the Bakers sample next to a different shoe, it seemed to complement the shoe in a new and :happy:interesting way.

One thing I'd enjoy hearing comments or feedback on: I asked the Equus crew to use their professional expertise to pick a thread colour for me. I chose Lin cable, mostly thinking that I wanted to do anything possible to enhance what I imagine will be a long-term product life. I thought I wanted a very slight complementary colour, not an exact match, and I couldn't tell from the Web pics. However, on a West End belt I wonder if it matters much, as very little if any stitching shows on these belts, I imagine.

I look forward not only to receiving my purchase but also to someday buying more belts. I love buying things from companies that (from what we see on this forum and in what is communicated on the Website) have such a customer-oriented approach and an ethos grounded in a true love of the work they do.

Glad to help and pleased you like what we're doing. We genuinely do love what we do and what we make, its not just words on the website. We're very lucky to have a business that lets us make lovely things for a living and that funds the ongoing development of (hopefully) yet more lovely things.

The Rose Gold option is live on the website - no photos as yet but will follow in due course!

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads