Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

1. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

i've dropped 30 which dropped my belt size 2 holes and then next 20 will be harder but will happen. id rather get it to fit how it should later and deal with being a hole or two to far over for now.

what is the turn around these days? ~1 month?

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

yes, 5 weeks or so depending on the leather, buckle etc

Charlie

3. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Took the kids horse riding this week, not something I've ever been involved in before. The smell of the tack room was fantastic, pretty much what I imagine the Equus workshop smells like .. :)

4. Equus Leather

Tack rooms do smell amazing! I'm nearly immune to the smell of the workshop now unless Ive been away for a few days in which case the leather smell is much more apparent, or if Im opening an order of leather.

The Bakers leathers in particular have their own individual smells. The Bakers Oak Brown and London Tan for instance have subtly different smells to each other despite being twins in all but colour. The Dark Stain and the Australian Nut are different again, in particular the Australian Nut has exactly the smell that tack rooms had when I was a child, I love it. One of the great joys of great leather is it provides a genuinely multi sensorial experience, its lovely to look at and to touch but also to smell - however clever man made materials become I don't believe they'll ever achieve such an all-round balanced loveliness..

Charlie

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Why is oxblood so difficult to source, just a less requested colour so not much around?' I've resorted to just wearing the burgundy belt with oxblood shoes, seems to work except in natural light and the differences are more apparent but still close enough to get me by imo. Eitherway if you do source some ill be in for a belt of it.

6. Equus Leather

At some point we'll commission a custom colour to be made up - we need to buy a lot of the colour (£thousands) to do it though so we haven't up to now. maybe we should do an SF project again!

There isn't really a good reason it isn't available technically. However bridle leather is just that, the tanners make it for bridles and saddlery for horses. A lot of makers, not least us, us it for all sorts of things, belts, briefcases etc etc because its lovely leather with outstanding qualities. The tannery aren't thinking of people matching belts and shoes when they formulate colours though, hence the lack of Grey and Oxblood. Arguably also what is Oxblood, how do you define it? There isn't a standard really for that sort of colour so if they do make it as a generally available product its still not going to please all of the people all of the time.

Its definitely on our radar as a future project.

Hope that helps :)

Charlie

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

They work with leather and not think about how it will match shoes or outfits, that's crazy talk :p

Thanks for the response, makes sense. Glad its on your radar look forward to seeing if anything comes of it.

8. Equus Leather

Yup. Sedgwick really only tan and finish thicker stuff though, they aren't like Horween or one of the big European tanneries like Haas that cover multiple sectors of the leather trade. They stick to what they know and as a result make world class leather but they have quite a narrow focus so are somewhat rigid to deal with!

We'll expand our calf range thats under development in due course, that will give us access to a lot more colours as well.

Charlie

9. Equus Leather

Ive just finished getting some photos made up of our latest special edition belt, again with a Japanese influence. This is the Rentetsu belt, the buckle is made using reforged 100 year old iron by a single master blacksmith that we're tremendously privileged to be able to work with. Im hoping to get some video of the buckles being made that I'll share, but the process of reforging the old iron produces the lovely Mokum striations in the steel that you can see. Of course each buckle is 100 percent unique as a result, no two will ever share the same striations. I think the effect is very like the wood grain ancient oak has that has been exposed to the elements so we've twinned the buckle with the honey coloured oak bark tanned Bakers London Tan, I love that the two materials are so different but so much the same in many ways.

We'll have the belt on the website tomorrow, in the meantime here are a couple of the photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie

10. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

Hey Charlie,

Did the damascus buckles ever transpire?

11. Equus Leather

Yup. They are being made at the moment and I hope will be here next month. Again they are being made by a single craftsman in Japan, this time a knife maker, so they've taken a while

Charlie

12. Equus Leather

Hi Guys,

As promised the Rentetsu is on the website here . We only have one buckle to hand and two on the way from Japan so supplies are very limited. We might be able to get a few more but if you want one get them while you can!

Charlie

13. Equus Leather

2 of 3 sold! Thank you to the buyers, much appreciated. If you'd like the last one of the current batch best get it quick! The website has stock control enabled for the Special Editions so theres no danger of buying what we don't have

Charlie

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I may have to ultimately unsub from this thread due to the beautiful things that I want so bad but can't afford! :(

15. Equus Leather

We aim to tempt!

If you want to justify lovely things economically remember they will last a very long time. A £168 Rentetsu will still be lovely in 10 years time, maybe more so than when new and will have only cost you £17/year, thats maybe half the cost of buying rubbish belts and throwing them away when they look awful over the same periodl. Real luxury goods should be economic over their lifetime, just a brief wince when you buy them :)

Charlie