Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

1. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

thanks for the detail. ill be going with nickel after that. last question before i order. my current belt is 37 from end to the hole i use, but ive lost weight and ive still got about 20 pounds to go. would you recommend ordering an inch or 2 shorter than 37, so i wind up at the middle hole?

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Di

Difficult to be precise without knowing how many more inches you plan to use. A 35" with 7 holes at 1" will go up to 38" and down to 32", I'd say that might be a good compromise? Alternatively if you get a 37" it could always be shortened if you run out of holes so your back in the middle?

Charlie

3. Equus Leather

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of a recent commission. This is a heavyweight strap specifically made for a chunky Breitling with very deep lugs. An interesting excercise in making a strap thats big enough for a big watch thats still comfortable, tactile and nice to wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie

4. h0ho10

h0ho10 Member

Hi guys,

Did anyone who received samples of Hazel and London Tan can tell which is the closest match to the AE Walnut Strands?

Much appreciated!!

5. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

i did last week and im going with hazel. i just like the colour better between the two and think both would go great with walnut strands (which im ordering after i receive the belts)

6. h0ho10

h0ho10 Member

Thanks!! Was hazel an exact match or was it more of a red color? Is the London Tan lighter than the Walnut?

Thanks again!

7. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

here you go, not the best picture, but hope it helps. from left to right: sedgwicks london tan, bakers london tan, sedgwicks hazel

8. h0ho10

h0ho10 Member

This is great help!! Thank you so much!

9. Equus Leather

Really good photo, thank you :) Charlie

10. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

glad it helps :)

11. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

finally got around to placing my oder. went for a australian nut in a hazel, both 1 1/4 with nickle. not too sure if itll be to think for my liking, but should work out. also went with the 35 length reccomended earlier in this thread, how far is the last hole with 5 holes to the end of the belt? ie. if i have to use the last hole for a couple months will it look really werid?

12. Equus Leather

A 35" belt with 5 holes at 1" will have an overall length of 41", obviously with the last hole at 37". The belt is perfectly functional on the last hole, however the pattern is really designed to be worn on the middle three holes. The tail will be quite short, thats fine for a short term thing, probably not visually great for long term use though. If you like one solution would be to order a size that fits now and we can always alter it later for you. Assuming its 3" too big in due course we can do it completely invisibly from the buckle end

Hope that helps - very happy to chat through hole placement etc if it would help

Charlie

13. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Very useful explanation. I have sent a couple of belts back to Equus for shortening - as a result of a diet rather than miscalculation.

I also have a webbing belt which is not Equus. There seems to be less scope for error on a webbing belt, unless it is my imagination.

With a leather belt you can also get extra holes punched. Equus holes may be a challenge for a High Street leather repair shop. They can punch round holes but seem to regard the Equus holes as beyond them.

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Only you know if that twenty pounds target will be achieved.

I had similar thoughts last year and I have only just got round to getting the belts shortened.

You can always get a belt shortened, but you cannot increase its length.

15. Equus Leather

Yup! We use oval holes specifically sized for the tounge of the buckle the belt will use. An oval hole is much better than a round hole, you can use a smaller neater hole for a given size of tounge as the oval holes allow the tounge to sit nicely, you'd have to use a much bigger cruder looking round hole to achieve the same effect. Its a much harder tool to use though, because its an oval shape its much easier to make a mess of a line of holes than with a round punch.

[​IMG]

Charlie