1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Coker

Coker Member

I received my Stratfield belt today, and am wondering how it was designed to wear. I tried wearing it (plain side in front) as in the above photo, but as shown, the end of the belt protrudes barely past the buckle. I'm used to wearing the end past the first loop of my trousers and I'm not sure if this shorter end will look weird.

On the other hand, If I wear it the other way (the side with the holes crossing in front), the end of the belt ends nicely past the first loop of my trousers, but you see one belt hole in the middle of the buckle, which is also a little weird since typical belts fasten through this hole, if you know what I mean.

What was your original design intent? To wear in the first or second method? If it's the first method, isn't it better to design it such that the end protrudes further away from the buckle, perhaps with a tapered end so it looks more natural, instead of looking like I've gained weight such that I can't tighten my belt enough?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Bagel

Bagel New Member

Hi, I bought a burgundy Equus belt about a year and a half ago. The belt has a fishy smell that seems to have only gotten worse with age. At this point I can smell the belt when I'm wearing it. I saw an older post in this thread that this might be related to cod fish oil used after tanning the leather. What recommendations do you have for lessening the smell? Is it ok to use saddle soap on the belt?

3. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The design intent and the way the belt has been tested is as per the photo above, with the short end out and no holes visible. I wore the prototype like this for a long time and it works as a belt. The square end keeps it neat and tidy and not catching on anything and I think visually works quite well.

When we were developing the proportions we had to make a choice of making that end of the belt long enough to go past the first belt loop or go for quite short like we did. Our thoughts where
    1) if we aim to just pass the first belt loop I think it really does look like the belt is simply too short rather than thats how its supposed to be and
    2) its impossible to know where the first belt loop is - every maker places them differently, better we don't rely on hitting the loop and miss it, hence we went for short and neat!

You can wear it the other way around though and it will work just like one of our conventional designs.

Given its a new design feedback is gratefully received :)

Charlie

4. Equus Leather

Its bridle leather so saddle soap won't hurt it at all, neither should any other similar product. The only leather we use thats is tanned using a cod oil is some of the Bakers leather and strictly speaking there isn't a Burgundy. Maybe theres a problem with the leather? Why don't you drop me a PM and we can chat through what the belt is and how to solve it :)

Charlie

5. Equus Leather

How leather age is something that fascinates me and several of our leathers have been selected specifically because of their aging and patination characteristics. People ask us all the time about how specific leathers and threads change over time so I'm not alone in this. I've always thought the ageing characteristics of really good materials is one of the best reasons to buy top quality things over cheaper stuff. I was looking through our older photos earlier and came across these three

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raised Gold Barenia watch strap hand stitched with Ecru Lin Cable - completely custom with one hole only. It just so happens the owner of this strap is me! I noticed I was wearing the same strap in a photo shoot from last week

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is strap that hasn't been babied at all, is worn in the workshop as well as out on the hill in Highlands of Scotland and in general life. Its really interesting to see how much but how nicely the leather has changed and how little the thread has changed in that time, approximately a year Id guess. Its satisfying to see that investing the money we do on the finest materials (the thread is to the best of my knowledge the most expensive linen thread in the world, and Barenia is one of the most expensive non exotic leathers) is worth the money.

Charlie

1 person likes this.
  6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Only my bakers belts have the vague fishy smell. It's not offensive but then, the smell has diminished with time on mine so I only notice it when I take one from the drawer

7. Equus Leather

Thanks Ozzy. The Sedgwick leather we used for nearly everything we make definitely doesn't, it just smells satisfyingly leathery. I think the OP must either have a faulty piece of leather or a Bakers Australian Nut belt. The Bakers leathers employ a much more old fashioned tanning method to get the results they do so they have a stronger smell than the more modern methods. Much more pleasant to the nose than a lot of the chrome tanned leather around though.

For those who don't know about Bakers, they are the last Oak Bark tannery in England and make the sole leather for many of the best shoemakers in the world, you may well be wearing their work as you read this. We use their leathers specially for this range of our belts, again because of the great aging characteristics of the belts but also the lovely natural colours and character. If you haven't seen it this is a great photo essay on the tannery from the BBC. We use leather from J&E Sedgwick for the majority of our belt range that is vegetable rather than oak bark tanned. They are probably the best bridle leather producer in the word and have a great, consistent leather range that really helps us make what we do - really a belt is only as good as its constituent parts and however good the craftsmanship you can't overcome poor materials.

Charlie

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Charlie, I'm really wanting to order one of the Baker's Russet belts in an approximately 1.5 inch width, but I was wondering if you were anticipating any new buckles in the near future that could fit that width?

9. Equus Leather

We have everything we've been working on recently live now I think. Did you have something specific you were after? If so always happy to try and track something for you!

Charlie

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I love the Rentetsu buckle and think it would go well with the Russet leather. I'm OK with brass as long as it is satin, but the ones you have available (Dee and Carnaby) would be the only ones I might get if that's my only choice. However, I'd prefer steel, and not stainless.

Edit: it's just that the ones you're getting from Japan are so special that I'd like to have something of that origin and craftsmanship.

11. Equus Leather

If steel, special and Japanese are what you want really it has to be the Rentetsu doesnt it? We have the design in 1 5/8", probably its nicest size - we don't physically have any of the buckles right now but there should be another batch of 5 coming from Japan soon though. Soon can be a somewhat elastic thing Ive found - if you want one and you're happy to wait a little we can get your belt in the book and the buckle reserved for you :)

Charlie

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Oh, heavens, yes! I will take one.

13. Equus Leather

Good stuff!

Drop me a PM and we can talk through the spec of the belt and we'll get it in the order book for you :)

Charlie

14. Equus Leather

PM replied to!

For those of you who haven't seen the Rentetsu buckle we're talking about this is it, attached to a Bakers Oak bark tanned London Tan strap. The buckle is made by a blacksmith in Japan using layers of old (100 year old +) iron and the wood grain effect is a result of more modern forging techniques burning away some of the impurities present from the original forging. Its a lovely organic effect.

[​IMG]

Charlie

1 person likes this.
  15. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

So I made my first order from Equus and I'm super excited about the belt. It's been shipped, but given the tracking it's been stuck at Chicago O'Hare for 3 weeks now (since Feb. 15). Has anyone else had shipping issues with them?

16. Equus Leather

Hopefully the US owners will share their experiences as they know better than anyone. Its not typical theres that sort of delay though so I suspect Customs may be involved. We can see slightly better tracking as the sender than you can as the recipient so we'll see if we can get a clearer idea of any issues.

The worse case scenario with things that get lost or delayed in transit is they return them to sender. I'm not aware of anything that has been completely lost on its way over the Atlantic to date. The worst incident was a Damascus buckled Lined and Raised that seemed lost for a few days, thankfully it was sent back to us so we could courier it back. That caused some stress!

Hope that helps!

Charlie

17. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Thanks so much for the quick responses, you guys are great!

18. Equus Leather

My pleasure, here to help :)

Charlie

19. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about ordering an Equus belt and am pricing them out. A rough estimate for bringing these fine products into the US would be great! Perhaps someone will share their expense if they can recall? Customs website states something around 2.7% if I recall.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  20. 1961scout

1961scout Member

I've purchased twice from Equus. Could not be happier with the quality or service! The first purchase went through O'Hare in a couple days. The second was there for probably a week. Three weeks sounds excessive.