Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Glad you like them :)

Non uniform darkening is a hard one. Just using the belt will do it - very difficult to create an artificial patinae though. The bridle leathers are bridle leather because they're stuffed with wax, they don't take coloured polish well as a result, though the thinner creams like Saphir may well work better. Time, UV and use is the very best answer for the light colours though, London Tan ages beautifully all by itself

Charlie

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I presume you are referring to this one: http://www.equusleather.co.uk/belts/bridle-leather-belts/west-end-bridle-leather-belt.html.

What are your thoughts on adjsutable belts - ones that can help you adjust the length of the belt on the fly. There's this apparatus on the belt that helps you lenthen or shorten leather.

Anyhow, I apprciate your recommendations. Will order tonight once I get things measured out. Thanks!

3. Equus Leather

Yup, thats the one. Its available in a lot of widths and metal choices so very configurable.

Im not sure Im familiar with those belts. Have you got a link? Im intruiged!

Charlie

4. Equus Leather

I thought some of you might be interested in our latest blog post. the first of our Metta Catherina watch straps is in progress and we've taken a few photos of the strap and the making progress. Part 1 is here, part 2 will appear as we finish the strap in the next day or so.

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

5. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Hi Charlie,

Just ordered the belt per your recommendation. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

6. Equus Leather

Great! Many thanks! :)

7. Equus Leather

As promised, part 2 of the blog is here

A sneak peak at some of the photos - lots more and explanatory text in the blog :)

Charlie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Charlie, the finished strap looks great! Looking forward to mine.:slayer:

9. Equus Leather

:) Glad you like it. Its lovely leather. If I'm lucky and theres any left I'll make myself one as well I think

Charlie

10. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear Charlie,

I went to my shoe cobbler to wish him a happy birthday and took the opportunity to shoe him my belt. He objected his brother-in-law who makes belts would put the seams in a groove so that the thread does not wear off by abrasion. What is your opinion on this?

11. Equus Leather

Very bad practice in my view - to do it this way is to sacrifice the leather to protect the thread. The belt is the leather, creating a weakness makes no sense when the thread can be replaced and the leather cant, at least not without making a whole new belt. The only exeptions to this is a very very high wear area like the sole of a shoe, even here its a crude technique though, better makers always use a closed channel in my experience or a high wear area where the leather is under no real stress so strength is unimportant like the knee roll of a saddle for eg. In the case of a belt the abrasion the thread is subject is minimal so it doesnt make any sense to damage the leather to protect it. In our case everything we make is hand stitched anyway, meaning each stitch is individually knotted so even very, very worn stitching maintains its integrity. So, in summation, IMHO at least a bad idea! Different countries have different ways of doing things and will all swear blind their own way is the best of course...

Charlie

12. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear Charlie,

I shall print out this exchsnge and give to him. I'm impressed by your reflection. At first I didn't understand what he meant, but then I recalled that many shoe soles have the thread on the bottom in such a groove. He has an exhibition of his brother-in-law's belts hsnging on the wall on the opposite side of his shop. It flashed through my mind that none of those exhibited belt had such grooves, but I was so surprised and shocked by this fundamental criticism by a professional who works with leather every day and sometimes makes shoes to object. When I said the thread in the belt is sewn by hand, he retorted he hopes it wasn't, so I became unsure, and said well it cannot be because the stitching is so regular and perfecr, and he smiled. But you write the seam is by hand. I must speak to himvagain, and I like my belt you made and don't consider those made by his brother-in-law more beautiful in any way. It seems to me that the shoe cobbler is looking at the belts with the view of a shoe cobbler, not a belt maker.

13. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

PS: I recommended he look at your website and also check your thread here and see how you attract belt lovers from the whole world, and that you wrote you are training young persons who sometimes make mistakes which you offer at reduced prices, but he said he must tell his brother-in-law to open a website, too.

14. Equus Leather

I suspect this may be true!

Every single thing we've ever made has been completely hand stitched. Machines are good at simple, repetitive things and stitching with two needles is not one of them. Machine stitching is a compromise - much faster, much less time taken to train a machine operator than someone who can stitch by hand so much easier to grow a business with a factory full of sowing machines but inherently less strong and also very soulless. In my opinion its a critical area of our products and of what we do though so we'll continue to hand sew despite the difficulty. Its just the right way to make things, which is what we originally set out to do, to make things the way they should be made. Looks like I cant embed a video of the stitch process but we wrote a blog post about it here that has a couple of stitching videos

This is a photo of the style of belt we're discussing - 1000 and somthing stitches all by hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

15. Equus Leather

Quick heads up - we are having a one day only sale (today - 30th June) with 10% off our most popular belt, The West End. Available in all the Sedgwick colours, with Stainless Steel, Solid Brass and Solid Nickel buckles in a variety of widths, it's a good opportunity for those to dip their toes in to owning one of our belts and for those that already have done, to extend their collection.

Of course, the 10% style forum discount code will also work on top of the discount too, 'STYLEFORUM10%'.